Max on 2SM

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm inferring that the stock market has not been returning 12%. However I don't really follow it so I was merely expressing my shock, happy to see some links about this booming investment potential.

It’s worthwhile taking an interest (excuse the pun) in young man. The stock market has outperformed real estate for 100 years and your super will be very important in future years.

I am watching closely these days, I can get my super within 10 years.

Same boat mate. Just more a tinny than the QEII. With stagnant wage growth, I think real estate continues to decline or flat line at best for a few years, so super returns will remain strong.

Last edited:
It’s worthwhile taking an interest (excuse the pun) in young man. The stock market has outperformed real estate for 100 years and your super will be very important in future years.
I have a weird aversion to this sort of stuff, and to planning in general. However a few weeks ago I picked up a copy of the Barefoot Investor. Last night I opened it and started reading...

Exactly right, the Leagues pulled the wrong rein about twenty years ago when they built that carpark rather than spend money on the Club itself, most other successful clubs moved into the next century whereas Manly Leagues was stuck in the 70-80's
The Leagues Club last bad decision that started the spiral downward was the money invested in the gym. They let their poker machine replacement program go to fund the building of the gym and were never in the position to catch up.

I don’t think you get it. No one owes anything to the leagues club. Previous owners didn’t do anything and our current don’t have to. A registered club needs to stand on its own two feet. I wouldn’t want our nrl club to be propping up a failing registered club that hasn’t supported our team in years
If they cared so much about the club, they would have given the leagues club or the football club the profit they have made off the sale after their expenses or at the very least bought a new premises for the leagues club. My guess they won't be bothered and will be happy to watch another part of the Manly club disappear.

I have a weird aversion to this sort of stuff, and to planning in general. However a few weeks ago I picked up a copy of the Barefoot Investor. Last night I opened it and started reading...
Spend the money one would spend on private health and invest it in shares every year.

I love the sharemarkets. Here’s some stats:
Aust. Share price index average return over 119 years is approx. 7.5%.
However if you include dividends (which you should) this increases to approx. 12.5% pa
Now the above figures include inflation so your ‘real’ return is something around 9.5% (assuming inflation of 3% pa).
The above figures do not include franking credits (basically credits you get when you get a dividend from a company that has paid 30% company tax on the income that the dividend came from). So this would further increase the return.
Buffett says that you should expect around 6-7% return on shares pa (GDP of 3%, inflation 2% and dividends 2%). He is referring to US market here. Aussie market has much higher dividends (5% roughly). So taking Buffett’s thinking and applying to our stock market you get something pretty close to the 119 year average.
Happy investing!

Really do not know much about the finer or intricate details of the sale but i presume that the then leagues club board was under no obligation to specifically sell it to the Penns and there must have been some open market element when the for sale offering was available . No doubt the Penns would also have an effective or quite favorable taxation strategy for their overall business arrangements but this sale and any declared profit would still have been subject to some capital gains provisions . For whatever reason , was apparently an unprofitable operation for some time preceding the sale and with the salary cap and T P A situation , not too sure how any profit could have directly benefited the club , even improvements to Brookie [ being council owned ] Maybe they could have put some of the profit and invested into a trust fund or something of this nature to have as a safe guard for the club in times of real need . [ and i really do not think that this applies now ] Anyway certainly open to a range of opinions but the significance of the fact that there was still a profit on the sale will always result in some open questions on the subject .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8