Max on 2SM

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Anyone else hear Max on Talkin' Bulldogs ?

He sounded pretty despondent in regards to the state the club finds itself in at the moment.
Talked about his tipping in of the million to make sure we didn't hand the license back.

Not a great orator but his passion is undeniable.

Mentioned the Penn's buying the Leagues Club for 15 million and then selling it for 32 million. Will we be the only club without a leagues club ?

But the most poignant point he made was that the common denominator....was the Penns. They didn't get on with Max, any of the CEO's, Hasler, Toovey.......probably even thinks Santa's a d1ckhead.

Can they please sell the club to someone who actually cares about a football team ?

Last edited:
Anyone else hear Max on Talkin' Bulldogs ?

He sounded pretty despondent in regards to the state the club finds itself in at the moment.
Talked about his tipping in of the million to make sure we didn't hand the license back.

Not a great orator but his passion is undeniable.

Mentioned the Penn's buying the Leagues Club for 15 million and then selling it for 32 million. Will we be the only club without a leagues club ?

But the most poignant point he made was that the common denominator....the Penns. The didn't get on with Max, any of the CEO's, Hasler, Toovey.......probably even thinks Santa's a d1ckhead.

Can they please sell the club to someone who actually cares about a football team ?
I’m not defending anyone I just want to point out a fact. I worked in this industry.

You can’t buy or sell a leagues club. They’re a not for profit entity. They sold their land because they were going bust through poor management and declining patronage/ inability to adapt to the 21st century. The penns made money off the land.

The leagues club hasnt given us **** for prob 15 years or so. They had/have no cash. Nothing to do with the penns all just terrible management.

It’s the whole reason the club even needed a rescue loan from delmege at the start.

The leagues club and the nrl license are 2 completely separate things

Look, I don’t know the ins and outs of the Leagues Club deal and whether debt was or wasn’t included in the 15M, but I’ve always suspected they were businessmen first and foremost over the love of the club. Now a 17M profit earning a modest 10% p/a on investments nicely covers any annual losses, or close to it. Then they look to make a profit on the sale of the licence adds up to a pretty hefty bonanza. It’s things like this that irk me when the narrative has been look how much money we have spent to save the club.

Last edited:
I’m not defending anyone I just want to point out a fact. I worked in this industry.

You can’t buy or sell a leagues club. They’re a not for profit entity. They sold their land because they were going bust through poor management and declining patronage/ inability to adapt to the 21st century. The penns made money off the land.

The leagues club hasnt given us **** for prob 15 years or so. They had/have no cash. Nothing to do with the penns all just terrible management.

It’s the whole reason the club even needed a rescue loan from delmege at the start.

The leagues club and the nrl license are 2 completely separate things

Ok....well I'll bow to your expertise in this area. So they sold the land. What would you do with a parcel of land that has a leagues club built on it if you don't want a leagues club ?

I'm guessing the leagues club has a red dot on it.

Ok....well I'll bow to your expertise in this area. So they sold the land. What would you do with a parcel of land that has a leagues club built on it if you don't want a leagues club ?

I'm guessing the leagues club has a red dot on it.
I don’t think you get it. No one owes anything to the leagues club. Previous owners didn’t do anything and our current don’t have to. A registered club needs to stand on its own two feet. I wouldn’t want our nrl club to be propping up a failing registered club that hasn’t supported our team in years

I don’t think you get it. No one owes anything to the leagues club. Previous owners didn’t do anything and our current don’t have to. A registered club needs to stand on its own two feet. I wouldn’t want our nrl club to be propping up a failing registered club that hasn’t supported our team in years

I paid for a 3 year membership. I want my 5 bucks back...............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No. But I'd like a successful Leagues Club like others have got to pump millions into the Sea Eagles to enable us to compete equally.
Didn't I read that the Parramatta Leagues Club pumped $9-M into the football club this season? Now, in Parra's case, money doesn't equal success but it allows them to lure quality players to that basketcase each season. Why else would Ferguson go from the penthouse to the shi*house? Penny and Paulo have also been recruited. They somehow attracted expensive, high-profile players Hayne, Moses, Norman - not that I would want any of them at Manly.
Canterbury's Leagues Club finances the Dogs signing of DESpicable and his staff on big money and pay them out, plus recruiting FOURan and Woods. The pokie money camouflages all the poor decisions their football administrators make, and enables TPA rorts through 'jobs' at the Leagues Club.
I can't see any football club staying afloat without the largesse of a Leagues Club.

Do Souffs still have a leagues club?
Maybe not but they've got a passionate owner.

Look, I don’t no the ins and outs of the Leagues Club deal and whether debt was or wasn’t included in the 15M, but I’ve always suspected they were businessmen first and foremost over the love of the club. Now a 17M profit earning a modest 10% p/a on investments nicely covers any annual losses, or close to it. Then they look to make a profit on the sale of the licence adds up to a pretty hefty bonanza. It’s things like this that irk me when the narrative has been look how much money we have spent to save the club.
Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you, but where can you get a 10% return on your money nowadays?

Do Souffs still have a leagues club?
Maybe not but they've got a passionate owner.
Souths do/did have a Leagues Club, perhaps it was swallowed up in the development by Holmes a Court etc,however they did not have any poker machines so they didn't contribute anything to the football team, Souths do have around 25,000 active members who contribute

Exactly right, the Leagues pulled the wrong rein about twenty years ago when they built that carpark rather than spend money on the Club itself, most other successful clubs moved into the next century whereas Manly Leagues was stuck in the 70-80's

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with you, but where can you get a 10% return on your money nowadays?

The stock market has been returning around 12%. Fair enough it peaks and troughs, but the adjusted average has been around that amount. Being savvy businessmen, they would have their rates of return well in hand. Possibly reinvesting in PennHealth where the yields may be higher.

I'm inferring that the stock market has not been returning 12%. However I don't really follow it so I was merely expressing my shock, happy to see some links about this booming investment potential.

I'm inferring that the stock market has not been returning 12%. However I don't really follow it so I was merely expressing my shock, happy to see some links about this booming investment potential.
Lol the market has been returning that. Funny that you told him it didn’t even though you didn’t know @:D.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6