Matthew Wright and Dylan Walker - Will this work?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagle9413

Forward Pass
1. If our centre pairing is Matthew Wright/Dylan Walker how will this turn out? (Overall impressions)

2. Will they be able to revive the days of Lyon/Matai and be a force to be reckoned with?

3. If we have better luck with injury, will these two be permanent in the centres for the majority of 2017?

4. Who else will play in the centres if it is not these two?

I personally think this is a decent centre pairing that is capable of much more than what they showed last year.

Defensively its a good combination. In attack I'm far from convinced. Walker will be fine and will develop into a serious rep level player. Wright is a plodder, he'll do his job, be safe in defence but I dont think he offers what we need in attack. I hope they find another player who kicks goals around 70% plus and I hope young Kelly develops quickly to take the other centre spot. Speed wins games

I liked what I seen with his ball playing when he played five eight. He seems a clever player and in attack i see him being fine. Killer and Skivvy were such great defenders. Who ever plays centre is going to have their work cut out.

The smart money is on Parker.
I only saw the few games he played in firsts last year. But watching him in the 20s the year before he looked all class. Also he is a Rednut and they have to fight just to be allowed to sit on a bus. He has toughness. In spades and will fill out eventually. I hope he isn't passed on if injured or doesn't get many chances this year. He looks a better footballer than athlete. And I love seeing that.

Yup Parker or Kelly, however if this was the case then I couldn't see too much quality attack coming from wright's side. Hastings can kick so maybe he's a chance? Maybe he plays hooker.

Walker is a given.

I think Hastings is the bigger factor. If he plays Hooker, than Wrights kicking ability is effectively redundant. Walker is a decent kicker and will cover injury.

I still think Kelly will get the spot as we have to take some risks on some young guys and he was lured down by a FG spot (according to articles written about him). He is a young guy and has the potential to play a long season.

Share a similar sentiment for Parker. I think he has the goods, and if kelly isnt performing Parker will get that spot.

I imagine at this stage wright and parker will be used as backline cover.

Those picking Kelly may be right. I suspect he came to Sea Eagles because he was promised a first grade position, otherwise he would have stayed with the Titans. And I understand he cost a bundle so I cant see that money going to waste.

not really sure about kelly or parker yet. parker did show promise and i hope he is in the mix. it seems to be the NRL way for outside backs to earn there stripes on the wing. competition on the flanks will be welcomed but tough and if anyone starts the season slow they may struggle .

not sure why so many are down on M wright. he looked very solid last year, had a good pass about him, made plenty of half chances carrying defenders. a winger would enjoy playing outside him id reckon. his game could really develop. manlys backline was awful last year and i thought he was a shining light, besides tom obviously. quick between the ears always has a place , id love to see him more involved. Pace is a great commodity but isnt necessarily the greatest attribute. the cows are pretty slow out wide but score plenty the play after breaks, as we once did as stevie, jamie and brett eased up in pace. quick thinking in the halves, running too the line and setting defences back always make a team look faster out wide

unless walker gets his **** together he may find himself under the pump. i know he played out of position last year but he didnt live up to the hype

but a much better place to be in with options. we have to be careful about unrealistic expectations. forums go crazy over the next big thing and potential, always have always will where coaches generally stick with the tried and true. barrets neck is on the line, i dont think he will take too many risks

Those picking Kelly may be right. I suspect he came to Sea Eagles because he was promised a first grade position, otherwise he would have stayed with the Titans. And I understand he cost a bundle so I cant see that money going to waste.

He may have been promised a shot at FG, but the chances that he was promised a FG spot would be zero, and at $160g's a year he would be one of the lowest paid backs in the team.

I hope he is a future immortal, but at the moment he is a 20yo with potential that has yet to play against the big boys.

He may have been promised a shot at FG, but the chances that he was promised a FG spot would be zero, and at $160g's a year he would be one of the lowest paid backs in the team.

I hope he is a future immortal, but at the moment he is a 20yo with potential that has yet to play against the big boys.

From a recent article.
“They’ve come and said we want him in 2018-19 but if we get him now, he’ll play first grade here in 2017,’’ Kelly’s manager Tas Bartlett said.

From a recent article.
“They’ve come and said we want him in 2018-19 but if we get him now, he’ll play first grade here in 2017,’’ Kelly’s manager Tas Bartlett said.

Understand that, but there is a huge difference between a coach being light on in the backs saying to a potential recruit you will get a shot at playing FG, or you will play FG ..... and saying you will be "guaranteed" a FG spot.

This is all moot to me. Until we get a decent coach I'm not getting my hopes up about anything.

Of course I mean anything football related.

Still hope to get my golf handicap down.

you don't rate Bozo as a coach?
The Immortal Fulton played, coached, selected for and has commentated on the game with great success at the highest levels and has been named amongst Australia's greatest rugby league players of the 20th century.[2]

As a player Fulton won three premierships with the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in the 1970s, the last as captain. He represented for the Australian national side on thirty-five occasions, seven times as captain. He had a long coaching career at the first grade level, taking Manly to premiership victory in 1987 and 1996. He coached the Australian national team to thirty-nine Tests and World Cup games. He was a New South Wales State selector and a national selector. He is currently a radio commentator with 2GB. In 1985 he was selected as one of the initial four post-war "Immortals" of the Australian game and in 2008 he was named in Australia's team of the century.
bob-fulton-manly-sea-eagles-2-628.JPG

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8