Matterson .. do the Maths .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Eels forward Ryan Matterson has defended his decision to miss three games instead of cop a $4000 fine for a crusher tackle.

Matterson declined the fine and instead will serve the suspension after being cited for a crusher tackle in Sunday’s grand final.

Okay, what's the go here ... he is reportedly on about $600,000 a year , so he is paid about $24,000 per game ... Sooooo, he is going to sit out 3 games, which Parra are paying him about $72,000 for ..... rather than pay a $4000 fine ...

Is it just me ?

If Parra allow him to do this and actually pay him for the 3 games he sits out ... then the inmates really have taken over ...

Was going to post the same thing @Woodsie

There can no way that Parra can he happy with this. Parra will rip up 72k in salary for a player not there all because he won't pay a 4k fine?

Was going to post the same thing @Woodsie

There can no way that Parra can he happy with this. Parra will rip up 72k in salary for a player not there all because he won't pay a 4k fine?

I think Matterson may be given the "facts of life" talk at headquarters soon ... certainly doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer ...

Only thing I can think is he has some off season surgery and wouldn’t be back until round 5 or 6 anyway.

Otherwise ****ing stupid

Nah, he reckons he was hard done by ... maybe he was ... but surely that's not a reason to turn your brain off ..

A three week suspension for that tackle is an absolute joke. There is no way he intended to put pressure on the neck. It was all bought about by the player being tackled turning their backs.

This needs to be addressed because the vast majority of these charges are not grubby acts.

Now bagging Penrith players...how disrespectful, sounds like sour grapes. It would be his mum saying this. In saying that, there was nothing in the tackle and I don't know why he didn't fight it.

Last edited:
A three week suspension for that tackle is an absolute joke. There is no way he intended to put pressure on the neck. It was all bought about by the player being tackled turning their backs.

This needs to be addressed because the vast majority of these charges are not grubby acts.
He has priors and he only had to pay the $4000 fine and, let's face it, if you're on $600,000, it'd be the equivalent of the cost of a night in a decent hotel for most people.

I think that he loves:
1664950214085.png

He has priors and he only had to pay the $4000 fine and, let's face it, if you're on $600,000, it'd be the equivalent of the cost of a night in a decent hotel for most people.

Maybe he does, but I find it hard to believe that any player goes out to perform a crusher these days.

Other low acts, yeah. But I think most crushers are incidental these days.

Yeah but v'lameday will come out and claim that the fans shouldn't suffer by not seeing their player play and therefore 2 pre-season games and a rather intense training session will count as the 3 weeks suspension.

Matterson is a smart guy. Total mercenary of course. Been playing well though, was probably the Eels best in the GF.

I think Matterson may be given the "facts of life" talk at headquarters soon ... certainly doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer ...
He's smart, and probably tight as...but I think he's outright selfish and if I were the Eels I'd be fining him his 3 match payments...no work, no pay.

Bottom line, though, is he shouldn't be given a choice of penalty.

Does taking the suspension wipe the slate clean? Ie, if he took the fine, got charged for a similar incident, perhaps he would get suspended for more than 3 weeks. If that is the case, taking the medicine in the first 3 rounds might make sense.

There has always been something odd about Matterson though. I remember when he floored Parker and he didn’t look as though he cared. Most players after severely injuring someone show a level of concern / remorse almost immediately.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2