Matt John's 2008 Melb excuse...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes heard this before, basically the fckwit is giving reasons why the Storm lost.

Storm reasons for losing
1 They threw everything into the comp that year, trying to win the world club challenge, minor premiership and premiership.
2 Rumours about Bellamy going to Broncos
3 Scam Smith having too many carry over points rather than taking a guilty plea
earlier in the year resulting in missing the GF.
4 High representation of State of O players resulting in burnout of players
5 Very tough game against Souths in last premiership game, a game that they had to win by over 25 points to seal minor premiership, Matt Geyer's last game in Melbourne , emotion
8 Tough game against Warriors resulting in a last minute loss, resulting in not getting the week off.
9 Very tough game against Broncos with last minute win
10 Storm already had two wins against Manly during the season.
11 Matty Johns helping the Storm and Cooper Cronk's game

Manly reasons for winning premiership
1 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
2 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
3 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
4 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
5 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
6 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
7 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
8 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
9 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
10 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD
11 WE WERE JUST TOO FCKING GOOD

Yes heard this before, basically the fckwit is giving reasons why the Storm lost.

Storm reasons for losing
1 They threw everything into the comp that year, trying to win the world club challenge, minor premiership and premiership.
5 Very tough game against Souths in last premiership game, a game that they had to win by over 25 points to seal minor premiership, Matt Geyer's last game in Melbourne , emotion
8 Tough game against Warriors resulting in a last minute loss, resulting in not getting the week off.

Sorry can't agree on No7 for Manly , I believe it's We were just way too fcking good..

And what about the mental anguish of a club twice cheated out of a premiership win, once by a bunch of drug cheats, once by salary cap cheats.

Or how everyone goes on about the 7th tackle in the Semi's of 1978, but they never seem to mention or even remember the 7th tackle try in the 1995 Grand Final.

Lets face it. The only reason the league didn't strip the Knights of their 1997 ARL title is because they feared a revolt from fans in Newcastle. Banning some players for a few games was a soft option.

The Storm win busting the cap, without busting the cap, win without three of the big four and a chance winning again without all four.

Busting the cap to retain players "they" produced to become greats is more respectful than busting the cap to purchase players to be competitive.

I mentioned over a decade ago now(and still counting obviously lol) that Melb technically, structurally and recruitment wise being way ahead of the pack at the time, this was the main reason other teams couldn't compete.

Let's not go down the path of News Corp funding the place allowing Melb to be more professional on and off the park----Brisbane have ample funds and have played like a semi professional bogan side(for the most part) for over a decade now without any idea on what is required to win a comp.

I mostly have huge respect for the club, other than taking the wrestle to a "dangerous" pathetic level.(that means i'm not against the wrestle just to make things clear)
Storm are a bunch of c@nts.

And what about the mental anguish of a club twice cheated out of a premiership win, once by a bunch of drug cheats, once by salary cap cheats.

Or how everyone goes on about the 7th tackle in the Semi's of 1978, but they never seem to mention or even remember the 7th tackle try in the 1995 Grand Final.

Lets face it. The only reason the league didn't strip the Knights of their 1997 ARL title is because they feared a revolt from fans in Newcastle. Banning some players for a few games was a soft option.
All I heard from every fckwit in rugby league after the 97 GF was that it was good for the game that Drugcastle won, FMD

Fine Manly hand back Orford and Steve Bell and not make the GF in 07.

Storm were helping out on both fronts in 07.
Umm when we signed those two players, it was within the salary cap, The Drizzle if you remember were over 800K above and beyond the cap for the era of 2006 - 2009. They are guilty as sin and have never shown any remorse for their crime. That is a fact!

Umm when we signed those two players, it was within the salary cap, The Drizzle if you remember were over 800K above and beyond the cap for the era of 2006 - 2009. They are guilty as sin and have never shown any remorse for their crime. That is a fact!
And the 800k is questionable too, that’s all the auditors we able to prove, the real figure would be nice to know and extremely embarrassing as well I’d imagine with all the lurks and perks they were able to keep concealed from the process. Systematic fraud, cheats and dare it be said (liars) to boot, quality all round one thinks NOT!

I was talking Wayne Bennett at a function in 2009 and he said "Manly were the biggest certainties he'd seen in a Grand Final, the Storm were beaten before they took the field."

Last edited:
If the above viewpoint makes you happy all power to you.(to me it is far too shallow an observation for that time period)

To learn that that Drizzle systematically cheated the game between 2006-10 and after being called out and caught and to this day they celebrate the premierships from 2007 and 2009 without a shred of remorse and show arrogance for how their actions damaged the game. Yeah I have a problem with that! If you call it being shallow for calling this out well its obvious that you view what our club was denied in 2007 as acceptable? The win in 2008 was unbelievable and being there was an amazing experience.

The media see them as a benchmark of success and for me they will always be tarnished as a club for their total denial and arrogance of what they did.

Storm reasons for losing

1 40 nil
2 40 nil
3 40 nil
4 40 nil
5 40 nil
6 40 nil
7 40 nil
8 40 nil
9 40 nil
10 40 nil
11 40 nil

I think we all have around 40 reasons to LOL at Melbourne on that day.

And 0 reasons to feel sorry for them.

40 and 0. There has been something strangely comforting about those numbers over the past 13 years.

To learn that that Drizzle systematically cheated the game between 2006-10 and after being called out and caught and to this day they celebrate the premierships from 2007 and 2009 without a shred of remorse and show arrogance for how their actions damaged the game. Yeah I have a problem with that! If you call it being shallow for calling this out well its obvious that you view what our club was denied in 2007 as acceptable? The win in 2008 was unbelievable and being there was an amazing experience.

The media see them as a benchmark of success and for me they will always be tarnished as a club for their total denial and arrogance of what they did.
The win in 2008 would of happened with or without Cam Smith playing(Manly were timed and primed to perfection) but it didn't feel like a victory without Cam Smith playing.(i rate the 2011 win over the Warriors more highly as Manly were pretty much gassed from the 60th minute onwards)

I was at the 08 game also as i was confident Manly would win, was a nice feeling afterwards but without Cam Smith playing it felt lacking. I didn't attend the 07 GF as Manly had zero chance that year.

I actually rate the efforts in making the 2013 GF and the performance for most of the night higher than 07,08 and 2011. In my eyes Manly that year were lacking in the forward department and general attacking variety but i must admit under Tooves there was more urgency to play fast and direct at times.(we shouldn't of made the GF that year but the senior players played beyond themselves like it was their last shot at glory)

In my eyes the 2007 and 2009 GF wins for Melb still stand, i will always stick up for Melb when this topic arises.

No point in me elaborating on my viewpoints especially at a fan site but i do feel you should look into that time period in much more detail beyond "Melb caught cheating the cap" that is fact mentality.(it is very limiting and you learn nothing from it)

The win in 2008 would of happened with or without Cam Smith playing(Manly were timed and primed to perfection) but it didn't feel like a victory without Cam Smith playing.(i rate the 2011 win over the Warriors more highly as Manly were pretty much gassed from the 60th minute onwards)

I was at the 08 game also as i was confident Manly would win, was a nice feeling afterwards but without Cam Smith playing it felt lacking. I didn't attend the 07 GF as Manly had zero chance that year.

I actually rate the efforts in making the 2013 GF and the performance for most of the night higher than 07,08 and 2011. In my eyes Manly that year were lacking in the forward department and general attacking variety but i must admit under Tooves there was more urgency to play fast and direct at times.(we shouldn't of made the GF that year but the senior players played beyond themselves like it was their last shot at glory)

In my eyes the 2007 and 2009 GF wins for Melb still stand, i will always stick up for Melb when this topic arises.

No point in me elaborating on my viewpoints especially at a fan site but i do feel you should look into that time period in much more detail beyond "Melb caught cheating the cap" that is fact mentality.(it is very limiting and you learn nothing from it)
You must be about the only Manly fan I know that sticks up for the drizzle for what they did! The unfair advantage they created prevented other clubs in what was supposed to be a fair and just competition from having success. As much as it pains me Parramatta were also denied by this process that they used and to say that the 08 victory was hollow due to Scam Smith being correctly rubbed out is ridiculous. That day for most of us was one of the greatest days we will ever see.

I was at the 07 grand final and I saw our best player taken out with the game the balance and then watched our team be smashed by a team that we learned later had a massive unfair advantage.

What they did stay is the history of the game as one of the worst ever scandals.

I visited Drizzle park in 2017 and I watched them commemorate their illegal win in 2007 showing highlights of what Croker did to Brett.

I love the game, I love the contest, what I cant stand is blatant cheating and this occurred and not one Drizzle player or official has ever taken responsibility for what they did!

This is what they are remembered for by many fans from all other clubs. They are feted as a benchmark of professionalism and success. To me they are a benchmark of deception, cheating and arrogance and I am old enough to remember the dominance of certain clubs in certain eras, Manly in the 70s, Parra and the Bulldogs in the 80s, Canberra in the 90s. Those teams played by the rules and were wonderfully successful.

The Melbourne Drizzle spawned from the Super League war, run by Ribot and it was a gift from News Limited and he used the blue print that the Broncos use when building the Storm. I understand that the NRL want a successful team in Victoria for the sake of the national game. I am not ignorant when it comes to how the Storm turn ordinary players into good ones. That is on the record as their success.

I would hate to see Manly use their blue print for success. Clubs are all about culture and we are lucky that over the years we have had plenty of success winning premierships in a fair and just way. Melbourne cannot say that all of their success is clean, that is their legacy!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6