Matt Burton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
I know he is going to the dogs which will make it more difficult but I am absolutely convinced that this kid is a star.

He has speed, great hands, strength and his kicking game is next level - great bomb near full time tonight, 60-70m kick for touch a couple of weeks ago... look out when he gets into a halves position as I reckon he has a real (young) Brad Fitter look to him...

I know he is going to the dogs which will make it more difficult but I am absolutely convinced that this kid is a star.

He has speed, great hands, strength and his kicking game is next level - great bomb near full time tonight, 60-70m kick for touch a couple of weeks ago... look out when he gets into a halves position as I reckon he has a real (young) Brad Fitter look to him...
I wonder if he will try to backflip on dogs deal. He is a gun no doubt.

Special player.

Last edited:

Will be a perfect example of how hard it is to shine in an ordinary team.

I’ve said it before, I can’t believe he signed with the Dogs before a ball was even kicked this year.
He and his manager must’ve really believed the “vision” Barrett sold them and you never know Barrett might be gone by the time he gets there.
He might learn a bit about doing it for the money.
Not sure how much he signed for but surely he’d be the hottest player on the market if he held off, I know they want security but he could nearly name his price now.
And Cleary was right when he said that not releasing Burton early to the Dogs will actually do them a favour - he’ll turn up there a better player than when they signed him.

I disagree. I think he is overrated and will struggle at half. He is a fair centre playing in a gun team but at 6, I think he is a bit raw. I don’t think that bomb was anything special either; the set up looked spectacular and then it barely went above the height of the posts and Ponga had no trouble with it. He does have a good long kick on him though.

Yer, it’s a no brainer his going to miss playing off the back of penriths energy, the speed and platform of their forward pack, receiving outside the best halves pairing in the comp, if you can’t take advantage of all that on top of the winning culture that’s going on with the black cats to show your worth, then there’d be problems. His taken his opportunity and good on him, but things certainly won’t be the same at the dogs and I don’t see him being the answer to their halves problem, personally I think he will struggle, his game and development will suffer, in fact I think he will rue the day he inked the deal.

He's probably looking at Kyle Flanagan and thinking.. f@#k.

Kyle was solid last year . Played well in a top 4 team and looked to have a good future ahead of him..

Now he's in the wooden spoon team and can't set up trys to save his life... Not looking so flash at the moment ..
I recon Burton will go the same way

I disagree. I think he is overrated and will struggle at half. He is a fair centre playing in a gun team but at 6, I think he is a bit raw. I don’t think that bomb was anything special either; the set up looked spectacular and then it barely went above the height of the posts and Ponga had no trouble with it. He does have a good long kick on him though.
Fair enough... each their own i guess...

I thought the bomb was great - had a float to it and landed in good position but Ponga swallowed it (as he usually does)... considering he rarely uses it, i thought it was better than I have seen from our halves or the dogs or a couple of other established halves this year...

Time will tell i guess...

He's probably looking at Kyle Flanagan and thinking.. f@#k.

Kyle was solid last year . Played well in a top 4 team and looked to have a good future ahead of him..

Now he's in the wooden spoon team and can't set up trys to save his life... Not looking so flash at the moment ..
I recon Burton will go the same way
I never thought Flanagan looked particularly special last year tbh... he was solid but not exciting... it will be hard at dogs compared to riff tho...

Fair enough... each their own i guess...

I thought the bomb was great - had a float to it and landed in good position but Ponga swallowed it (as he usually does)... considering he rarely uses it, i thought it was better than I have seen from our halves or the dogs or a couple of other established halves this year...

Time will tell i guess...
Wouldn’t be hard to better than some or all of our high kicks, it’s one area of our game that sux

I’ve said it before, I can’t believe he signed with the Dogs before a ball was even kicked this year.
He and his manager must’ve really believed the “vision” Barrett sold them and you never know Barrett might be gone by the time he gets there.
Not sure how much he signed for but surely he’d be the hottest player on the market if he held off, I know they want security but he could nearly name his price now.
And Cleary was right when he said that not releasing Burton early to the Dogs will actually do them a favour - he’ll turn up there a better player than when they signed him.

Perhaps Burton can get out of his contract under NSW Lemon laws.

Clearly he was sold a dud vehicle for his career with Blue Steel Barrett :)

Last edited:
How many games with the Dogs do you reckon they’ll need to drag him into the Belmore basement of horrors?

Perhaps Burton can get out of his contract under NSW Lemon laws.

Clearly he was sold a dude vehicle for his career with Blue Steel Barrett :)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8