Matai's shoulder

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
I read in the 'Australian' this morning that Stevie is going to play on in the world cup with his busted shoulder.  Apparently he's going to have surgery after this half arsed comp is over.  Hopefully he'll be fully fit for our 09 season or he might just find his spot being taken by Tony-boy.  Should he have the operation now and take extra time to get it right?  or run the risk of aggravating the shoulder and neck for some sort of mis-guided glory.

Hard one, I think he and Manly were relying on the doctors advice to decide if he would play in the W/C.  I would say if the operation was going to cause an extended lay off and therefore he would miss the start of 2009 he wouldnt be playing.

The risk of course he will do further & more serious damage during the games when he is not in the care of Manly doctors.

I also think all players & clubs should support international footy where possible, other wise it will end up like the AFL SOO - a complete farce

AFAIK it is just bone fragments floating around, I have the same in my wrist and knee, 99% of the time it's fine, then sometimes you cop a knock and it hurts for a while, not a whole lot more to it really so I don't think he could make it much worse unless there is ligament and other tissue damage that could end up as scar tissue (in the case of my wrist) which is a long and painful surgery to go through from what I hear.

I would prefer he got the surgery sooner rather than later and gave himself as much time as possible to recover. But this may also be his last chance to play in the World cup so I say let him play

The rule is that if the surgery required is expected to impact on the start of the new season, players are not required to play in the WC.

However if the surgery is not absolutely necessary and the recovery not expected to impact on 09, players are expected to play.

The World Cup rules state that if a player 'MUST' play for their country if selected, unless a required surgury after the competition will result in that player missing the start of the 2009 NRL season.

My guess is that his surgry is relativly minor and wouldn't result in him missing any of the starting games next season.

This shows you one difference between Steve Matai and Brett White.

Matai - wants to avoid surgery so he can wear his countries colours.
White - Has a sore toe and went against the WC rules, having surgery before the WC even though he'll be back in training by January.

One is a legend. One is soft.

I thought Stevie had a bulging disc as well.  Oh well, if it doesn't impact on 09 then good on him.

White is a marshmallow and is as soft as they come. If he ever wears the Sky Blue jumper again i'll be gutted.

clontaago link said:
White is a marshmallow and is as soft as they come. If he ever wears the Sky Blue jumper again i'll be gutted.
Agreed. Bellamy's love child should be scrapped from any rep list honours until he he can put in more than 10 minutes.

Justin Hodges has given the WC a miss with his bung shoulder and was quoted "club comes first".  Matai should do likewise, particularly as the whole stupid thing is a foregone conclusion. 

He wants to represent his country and has some pride in his heritage.

Something that should be applauded not criticised.

He is not simply chasing the Dollar or bagging his country of residence.

More power to him.

There is another positive in this, that may benefit our club next season

Matai will be spending 4-5 weeks getting tips from Wayne Bennett, and may come back an even more improved player with some of his adivce

If clubs allow their players to get the benefits of international experience, it keeps them happier and more fulfilled, meaning loyalty etc. A happy camp is such an important ingredient of success, as long as "the lunatics don't end up running the asylum!!"

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4