Matai's first point of contact

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maria barely touched him. Watch the replay as Burgess looks around then drops his head to sleep as he sees a penalty coming his way.

Oops!,, Sorry Matai for calling you Maria. I Should have done done a spell check before sending post

In a righteous world Steve would have nothing to worry about but they could get him for a grade 1 careless high tackle.

When the penalty was first blown I thought it might have been given for a shoulder charge because I didn't think the shot was high. When I saw the replay at the game and realized there was no shoulder charge I couldn't believe a penalty was blown in the first place.

susan said:
I think there is no doubt the first point of contact was ok but Ray Warren was saying in the coverage that that is not an excuse.

From what I can gather the fact that he hits the ball first helps re the grading but doesn't mean the tackle is not regarded as a high shot because there was contact with the head and it could be regarded as careless/reckless.I hope that is not the case.Does anyone know the exact rule in these cases?

You are spot on with that summation. Anyone who thinks he wont have a case is kidding themselves. He hit him high off the ball and will get charged. Because he came in swinging with intent it will probably be a grade 3 careless or reckless. I'm seeing 6 weeks minimum going on his record.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
A player is guilty of misconduct if he:

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle
makes contact with the head or neck of an
opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.

Then how come Michael Crocker wasn't charged for his hit on Brett Stewart in the 2007 Grand Final.

That is the 2013 rules...

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/NRL%20Rules%20book%202013FINAL.pdf

If he gets charged then dead set Rugby League should just turn into Tag Rugby and be done with it. Im so sick of having to defend Manly players everytime we play a rough match. The two Burgess brothers are so soft for laying down but im not suprised. Souths are the media darlings and will continue to get support for the fairy tale until it comes to fruition.

Ralphie said:
I CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!

You have to be a 'true' supporter to see it.

That said (typed) I've never seen a pic posted to a forum via microsoft word before!

globaleagle said:
Ralphie said:
I CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!

You have to be a 'true' supporter to see it.

That said (typed) I've never seen a pic posted to a forum via microsoft word before!

Well someone please post it in a different format.

Just reading that if he is charged and suspended this will be the 11th time in his career he will have been suspended for a high tackle.

I don't think there was too much in this one, it was a great hit but if he is charged being a serial offender won't help his case.

Phil Rothfield says:

Brett Stewart and Steve Matai should be OK. Stewart's wayward elbow wouldn't have knocked me over and Matai's arm clearly came into contact the football first when he cleaned up big George Burgess. I know he's got a bad track record but he shouldn't be crucified for this incident.

Ralphie said:
I CAN'T SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Can you see anything.

bones said:
Phil Rothfield says:

Brett Stewart and Steve Matai should be OK. Stewart's wayward elbow wouldn't have knocked me over and Matai's arm clearly came into contact the football first when he cleaned up big George Burgess. I know he's got a bad track record but he shouldn't be crucified for this incident.

I know Phil is often bagged here, and rightly so sometimes but I find him to be ok.

bones said:
Phil Rothfield says:

So IF Matai is cleared and the tackle deemed legal what will be the ramifications for Klein and whoever the video ref was. That would have been a crucial turnover to Manly in an attacking position and in fact S Burgess should have been penalised & sin binned for starting a fight over a legal tackle. Not to mention the other list of ref **** ups during that game. Has anyone in the media blown up about the Tommy S no try debacle ?

I expect he will be charged, just hope the grading reflects the lack of intent and the "unluckiness" of the contact.

Maybe the Gods will smile on us and he dodges a bullet

The NRL don't want the defending team doing anything other than playing the role of the Washington Generals.

If you get aggressive in defence they will penalise you out of the game.

RL is all fracked up.

And the Oscar for the best dive to get a penalty goes to - George Burgess.

And the Oscar for being the third man in to throw a punch and not get penalised, sin binned or sent off, goes to - Sam Burgess.

You will all agree a wonderful piece of acting that merits such awards. Congratulations to South Sydney for their impeccable training and coaching that brought such awards to their club.

And while I'm at it - how was one try treated as an obstruction and the South's try not treated as an obstruction? That was affectively a 12 point turn-around. The real score should have been 18 -14 to Manly.

Hey NRL - all we want is consistency.:mad:

Had the NRL preordained that Souths would win that game? (Not of course saying there is any impropriety but one with a more cynical nature than me could argue the above quite eloquently.)

I wanted to say that George Burgess was a better actor than Rusty but he is way better than that.

The NRL will do anything to have Souffs in the grand final. Knowing that Horsehead was in the video box says it all.

Mat rodwell was the other video ref I think

DSM5 said:
The NRL will do anything to have Souffs in the grand final. Knowing that Horsehead was in the video box says it all.

The first half penalties were all at pivotal times, first one was ingliss tackled in goal on their first touch,then 6th tackle attacking our line Cherry Evans is the first player in forever to be penalysed with leaving the try line early. Massive legs up for souffs. Manlys penalties were in the middle of the field.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4