Matai

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hard call with team going so well - but it is PL for mine. If we get stuck with someone like Halden being a choice for a starting centre then he needs an immediate recall. I like his play, he gives huge go-forward at the back end of each half, is tough, definitely talented. I wouldn't like to see him rushed back unless necessary.

Where do you put him??? I physically can't do a YART that works???

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Matai?
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Matt Ballin
15. George Rose
16. Glenn Hall
17. Luke Williamson

meaning Halden / Bryant Dunley get a stint in PL?

I reckon he would add more go forward than someone like Bryant or Rose. Maybe he can play off the bench.

Or we could put him in the centers with Bell and that would allow Lyon more time at 5/8th.

The problem with that would be dropping Burns. I'd probably feel better if he came off the bench as a second rower or just roam in the backline. That way we are leaving out a non performer instead of burns.

IMO, based on last years late form he needs to be in the side.

Here's a thought.

Use him like Tim Sheens uses Jason Moodie on the bench.

Interchange a forward with Matai and put Matai on Chris Hicks's wing and I say give Hicks a "roving mission" ... Let him just sniff around the ruck or even out wide... He is big, fast and it could be handy.

Even if you wanted to use Matai to do it you could.

I reckon matai would be the better rover. He has a habit of busting tackles with sheer strength.

Is it a general census that Matai would add more than Rose, Bryant and Hall?

Yeah flip, After typing that I agree that Matai would be better as a "rover"

I think it's a good idea.

Go with this: (i'll leave the "contentious positions blank)

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Bell
4. Lyon
5. Hicks
7. Orford
8. King
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. Beaver
13. Stewart

15. Hall
16. Bryant / Rose
17. Matai

Get Matai out there to have a few hit ups perhaps a tackle bust or two... combine that with some good hit ups out of dummy half (where he was sensational last year)

I did like the look of Lyon at 6 on sunday though.

Fark, It's hard.. I dunno what to do. :lol:

Yep thats the team I'd like to see.

Fill in:

6. Burns
9. Monaghan (obviously but I would like to see Ballin start)
14. Ballin

Thinking about it, if Monas does leave we will fit everyone very comfortably next season.

I guess the best part is having these tough choices. Not a bad position. I really thought Lyon gave us something extra with more action at 6 and his defense is almost perfect. I thought the first half showed how we also missed Burns. Getting a headache with so many options. I think having two of the likes of Matai, Monas and Burns on the bench rather than 4 huge forwards lets us exploit other teams better than the current make-up.

Here's a thought.

Use him like Tim Sheens uses Jason Moodie on the bench.

That would only work if we had someone like Hoppa still at the club. The Moodie option at the Tigers works (and even that is debatable) becuase they can start the game with Tuiaki who is solid and plays the first 20 as a winger - but can then slot straight into the backrow/prop because of his size.

We don't have an outside back who could do that. (Cuthbo on the wing jokes etc)

I would bring him back through PL for a week or two. Not only will it allow him to get some match fitness before stepping into first grade but it will also make him keener to get his spot back and possibly shove a rocket up bells arse which can only be a good thing.

Where to fit him will be difficult, we are 3 weeks out from origin and guarenteed to lose Lyon so he will play centre for those games and have his chance to push for a spot. Outside of that i would have to lean towards a bench spot to both cover the backs and play some backrow when needed. It seems that Des is still keen on Lyon at 5/8 which would mean Matai to play centre and burns to bench with Ballin in Reggies. I dont agree with this at all, would drop matai, burns or even monas before ballin, probably in that order.

Play him through the PL to get match fit and see if his defense is in order. If Des drops Burns to play him, he's got rocks in his head. We lost to the cowgirls because of a soft middle, Burns not there, and got ripped up the middle in the first half on Sunday, Burns not there. Any better team would have put thirty on us in the first half last Sunday and we were lucky Canberra just doesn't have the attacking class of say, Parra. Matai can come back in to replace Lyon during the SOO duties (I don't think we'll lose Bell). Matai as a forward? Perhaps, but will need work, imo.

Premier League he is by far the weakest defender. I can find no place for him unless we drop halden and play Matai as a forward but that is just crazy.

I have to agree about Burns being more valuable. We need his defense around the ruck more than the attacking abilities of Mattai. Its merely an issue of priorities.

I like Halden. I think he's got the look of a decent 5/8 about him, though not a centre. He tackles OK, runs forward, holds a line, seems to have a brain, passes OK and has enthusiasm. Most of the ingredients really.

That's the thing though.. we want Lyon at 6.

So, if you want to have Burns and Halden in the team they will need to play a different role.

Can we afford to have both Ballin and Burns on the bench??

I actually think when everyone is back on deck we will see the same team that played the first 10 minutes of round 1.

Lyon > 6
Matai > 4
Burns > 14
Ballin > Reggies

I think you're right. Des is way to conservative in his selections imo. Kind of hope someone is injured for Ballin to stay in. Why not bench Burns, Ballin, Hall and Rose.

But we're winning, so I can't really complain too much. I just worry about that softness up the middle when Rose and Bryant are on.

Yeah, so do I mate.

As you said we are winning so I guess Des knows what he's doing.

I think after seeing this weeks team Des has figured out we are better with Ballin on.

If i were Des this week i'd let the team run on as is on paper and I would interchange Burns with Ballin when Rose an Bryant are on the field... put Monaghan to 9 with Burns to 6 so both can defend in between Rose and Bryant or something.

When King and Kite go back on.. Mona's to 6.. Ballin to 9 and Burns back to the bench.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4