Matai.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Geez we have had some great centres over the years... Close, Cleal, Mick Oconnor, Darrel Williams, Kevin Iro, Innes, terry Hill, Steven Bell, Jamie Lyon, and Steve Matai...and that is only from my personal recollection, sure as hell there were many more before that. Like that Fulton guy perhaps. Surely there are some I've forgotten too. But Skivvi stands tall with the absolute best of them. True Manly legend.
never really thought close delivered

I'm probably blinded...he played in the first game I ever saw live at Brooky, and I recall him scoring two tries and crushing it as only a 110kg centre can...
i recall him only ever playing one absolute blinder... towards the end of his Manly career when the Gold Coast scouts were in attendance... absolutely killed it & scored a Gold Coast contract. Think that was the last good game he played... ;) thanks but no thanks

I'm probably blinded...he played in the first game I ever saw live at Brooky, and I recall him scoring two tries and crushing it as only a 110kg centre can...

Steve will be back I don't doubt he will give it a go and go around again.
He could have retired a few times and as if every week he has a stiff neck

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE

Geez we have had some great centres over the years... Close, Cleal, Mick Oconnor, Darrel Williams, Kevin Iro, Innes, terry Hill, Steven Bell, Jamie Lyon, and Steve Matai...and that is only from my personal recollection, sure as hell there were many more before that. Like that Fulton guy perhaps. Surely there are some I've forgotten too. But Skivvi stands tall with the absolute best of them. True Manly legend.
I'm sorry but Kevin Iro was as successful as his mate Holiday Shelford was upfront

Branighan, Gartner, John McDonald to name a few.

Note sure he is in the Fulton, O'Conner, Lyon class but he is only a spiders dick behind them. He is a truly great player who will be remembered for a very long time and one of the key members of a great decade and two premiership teams.
You're probably right, Skivvi not quite in the really elite class, but not many tougher or more committed than him on that list.

Although I'd have to say that the Lyon / Matai pairing is probably the best we've ever had that played together in the same team. Maybe Fulton and Branighan, but I'm too young to really remember them in their prime. Hill and Innes were good but Skivvi and Killer have them covered.

Coaching the 20's would be the go. He'd scare the shiit out of the kids in tackle sessions, and I reckon there'd be plenty of poly kids that'd come just to play under Steve.....he is a god to them!,and he definitely couldn't do any worse than the official nuffies they've got in there atm.

Wouldn't that be a novelty. Turning out U/20 players who could actually tackle.....Skivy would straighten them out.

Choppy was ok but I would have preferred Gene Miles

By The Mole
October 23, 2016

MANLY hardman Steve Matai’s hopes of playing football again are getting more remote by the day and it appears the brave Kiwi will be forced to hang up his boots before next season.

No player in the NRL has endured more pain than Matai during the past decade.

A bruising defender and willing ball-runner, the Kiwi plays well above his weight, but the big hits have taken an awful toll on his shoulders and neck. He underwent neck surgery earlier in the year and was hoping to return as good as new in 2017.

But I’m hearing the injury isn’t healing as well as the 32-year-old centre hoped and he is unlikely to be cleared to play again.

Matai was renowned for being able to play with pain but the fact his neck is continuing to cause problems is a major concern for his long-term health.

The good news for Matai is that if he does retire, insurance should cover his entire contract money for next season.

Bah Humbug

But Matai has to think of his future health and if the risks are too great or he just cant get it right, its time to let the fat lady sing. Love the way Matai plays and we'll miss him in the back line. One of our best. Enjoy your life Steve. You dont want to be a broken down old man at 32. We'd love you to play, but I'd prefer to think you've got a great few decades in pasture.

Last edited:
Looks like the writing is on the wall. Would love to see him involved in the club in some capacity though. He was my main man for many years!

Seasons over by 8 weeks we still have another 20 weeks to go for Steve

He will be fine I have faith

I would not be so sure of Skivis return. That insurance will pay Skivi out but not Snake could be significant from BOZO's recruitment perspective.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8