Matabele's thoughts on trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man

If you looked at my ten commandments for 2006, it mentions that Ballin will be our starting hooker by year's end. This is now amended to starting hooker for Round One. Ballin was a stand-out last night. He had lots of options, gave exceedingly quick service from dummy half and was tough in defence. An outstanding prospect for us.

Cuthbertson is another that should not have to wait to be in the side. He is more than capable of taking the spot vacated by Harris and will do a far better job from what I saw last night. He had presence, size and speed and hit hard in defense.

Jason Wells reminds me of Ronny Gibbs. Very sturdy in defense and a good lateral mover. Shows promise.

Kite looked awesome and seems to have his zest back. Like a wind up toy he slowed down a lot last year. Last night he was destructive and dangerous. Looks set for a big year.

Orford showed us what we’ve been missing these past few years – a touch of class every time he had the ball. Bell also has presence and looks dangerous whenever play goes his way.

I’m not too concerned about the 14-44 scoreline, mainly because we only had something close to our best team on the paddock for 20 minutes and in that time we were competitive.

I presume the lesser lights were given game time to show up who is ready for First Grade and who is not. The ones above took their opportunities with both hands. The ones below were the reason for the shellacking and should spend this week getting very friendly with Geoff Toovey:

Matai was disgraceful. A 1/10 effort. He bombed two tries, missed tackles and didn’t look as though he understood the fundamentals of attacking play. Surely he cannot be considered a member of our first string backline. What makes it worse is that he’s a gurgling hot head always waiting to explode.

Cleal and Rose were slow around the ruck and looked like they could leak points at any moment. We can play one of them, but the two of them together is too great a liability.

Maybe he was trying to hard but Travis Burns was guilty of a few clangers and was very poor in defence. He costs us several tries with missed tackles.

Monaghan spent most of the first half reminding us why we signed Orford. Stuttering play, ridiculous kicks and hospital passes were regular features of his game. On the positive side of the ledger, his defense was outstanding and he saved several tries. It looks as though he might make a five eighth providing he stays out of Orford’s way and doesn’t cramp him. At least he will make his tackles and clean up mistakes well.

Witt was very ordinary in Premier League and looks to have come out last in the battle for the vacant number 6 jumper (assuming Ballin gets number 9).

Let’s hope more of the quality players see more minutes against the Tigers.

I should mention that Hasler seemed to be personally coaching witt through the PL game so he is obviously in the frame for the number 6.

At each huddle Hasler went out and talked specifically to Witt.

So nothing really suprising.

The youngsters we thought had talent played well and hasler still hasnt changed his gameplans.

In defense of Hasler, he was obviously using the trial as a means of testing out the lesser lights.

It will be interesting to see what team takes the field this week.

"Monaghan spent most of the first half reminding us why we signed Orford. Stuttering play, ridiculous kicks and hospital passes were regular features of his game"

why at 5/8 mata?

doing the same thing as last year only one pass wider AND IN BETWEEN ORFORD AND BELL does not make sense.how quickly that parra nightmare is forgotten.

his asett is defence.he looks to have bulked up lot as well and my mail is his attitude has been great. he hit pretty hard at times last year so his size may be invaluable.put him in the middle sharing with ballin/dunley and let's get the best out of him.that is the plan so i hope they stick to it.

Bottom line Sue is that none of the other five-eighths tried in this game looked up to it. Witt was ordinary in PL (though I do remember that this time last year Watmough had a shocker in PL - and he proved us all wrong in 2005)

Burns didn't set the world in fire and Monas was the better option of the three, though your comments are valid!

I think Witt was ordinary at times, while also "trying" to be creative and organising the side.

He seemed to try many things somehow I think Dessie wants him to play himself into form by trying things................(at the peril of the team methinks) :(

\"Monaghan spent most of the first half reminding us why we signed Orford. Stuttering play, ridiculous kicks and hospital passes were regular features of his game\"

why at 5/8 mata?

doing the same thing as last year only one pass wider AND IN BETWEEN ORFORD AND BELL does not make sense.how quickly that parra nightmare is forgotten.

his asett is defence.he looks to have bulked up lot as well and my mail is his attitude has been great. he hit pretty hard at times last year so his size may be invaluable.put him in the middle sharing with ballin/dunley and let's get the best out of him.that is the plan so i hope they stick to it.

I can't see any reason why Monaghan would be hooker ahead of Ballin. Ballin was infinently more the superior hooker on Saturday. You cannot countenance picking Monaghan ahead of him unless he gets injured.

Which does leave the 5/8th Conundrum. Monaghan looked better than Witt - not that this is saying much. If he makes all his tackles and stays out of the way in attack ..........

Zorba gave Burns a rap on 2ky on Sunday - so I am suprised you guys thought he was OK at best. Or am I....

[quote author=sue ridgepipe]
\"Monaghan spent most of the first half reminding us why we signed Orford. Stuttering play, ridiculous kicks and hospital passes were regular features of his game\"

why at 5/8 mata?

I can't see any reason why Monaghan would be hooker ahead of Ballin. Ballin was infinently more the superior hooker on Saturday. You cannot countenance picking Monaghan ahead of him unless he gets injured.

Which does leave the 5/8th Conundrum. Monaghan looked better than Witt - not that this is saying much. If he makes all his tackles and stays out of the way in attack ..........

[/quote]

yeah But as we know Mata Des isnt a Fan of Change unfortunately , whats the chances Witts in First Grade come round 1

Zorba gave Burns a rap on 2ky on Sunday - so I am suprised you guys thought he was OK at best. Or am I....

Wheel Did Zorba mention Ballin or Cuthbo ???

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4