Manly's spine is not good enough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Other fans would be satisfied at coming fourth and having an exciting year of scintillating attacking football.

Not us, which is great because we want to be number 1.

Des got the 2006 side to improve to the point where defence was as good as the attack in 2007 and 2008. I am sure he is already at the whiteboard working on it.

I wouldn't swap our spine for any other teams. On balance it's close to equalling any of the top teams right now. If Manase Fainu comes back successfully it's potentially the best spine in the comp. When Schuster replaces Foz in 2023 it steps up another level again. Let's look forward to Turbo, Schuster, DCE, Fainu. Seriously who wants to change that?

I think Foran has done a fine job this year. Not as wonderful as some suggest and the fantasy judges agree with that, but he's done some good things. But if Manly's to move to the next stage, they need Schuster at 5/8. He's wasted at second row where he ends up doing a lot of defence and then is expected to shine in attack. Its not going to happen. It didn't happen in the juniors when he played second row. It wont happen in first grade. Schuster is a natural No 6. Get him away from all the heavy defence work and let him have the energy to shine at 5/8. Des was talking of Foran playing hooker. Why not? And yes Manly needs better centre attack. Hopefully either Burbo or Koula will shine next year but we need more explosiveness out wide.

I think Foran has done a fine job this year. Not as wonderful as some suggest and the fantasy judges agree with that, but he's done some good things. But if Manly's to move to the next stage, they need Schuster at 5/8. He's wasted at second row where he ends up doing a lot of defence and then is expected to shine in attack. Its not going to happen. It didn't happen in the juniors when he played second row. It wont happen in first grade. Schuster is a natural No 6. Get him away from all the heavy defence work and let him have the energy to shine at 5/8. Des was talking of Foran playing hooker. Why not? And yes Manly needs better centre attack. Hopefully either Burbo or Koula will shine next year but we need more explosiveness out wide.
Defence wins matches. Our spine is fine. Need to work on edge defence. Penrith will win this years GF based on having the best defence in the league
Spines fine. Three internationals and a first year hooker that had the best work rate on the paddock friday night. Errors are what cost us, seven of our players are in the top 26 for errors for the season and we still came fourth. Trust me , if you take a look at them you might leave the 9 and 6 where they are.

One thing we do need is a real hard working prop , no frills , but one that can intimidate the opposition.

Marty WAS that guy but now isn’t.

Love Marty as a team player and his off field attributes BUT at $850k we need much better.

Last edited:
Largely agree with this. Next season pointless to stick with basically inadequate systems. Needs: better dummy half; thrust in centres, and back-up full back. Hopefully Koula gets a look in. Will be interesting to observe recruitment in next few months.

I watched the Manly vs Rabbitohs game from 2019 - people have clearly forgotten just how potent Fainu was in attack. Even I did. It would be hard to argue that he wasn’t our most potent attacking weapon on the night - his quick play the balls earned us so many meters going forward and created so many line break opportunities. I think we need him to be a genuine premiership contender.

If Schu has serious designs on playing 5/8 next year he could be proactive, and come back to November training (or whenever they come back) looking a bit leaner and faster.
If he comes back the same shape he is now I think Des will just go with Foz again.
He certainly does not have the body shape of a classic 5/8... I reckon you have to go back to Terry Lamb and Olsen Filipaina to find the last one...

His ball handling skills and change of direction are excellent but he doesn't strike me as having high or explosive speed... i know his role hasn't been to kick so maybe that is a string to his bow that I haven't seen a lot of...

at this point he seems a classic ball-handling backrower for mine...

He certainly does not have the body shape of a classic 5/8... I reckon you have to go back to Terry Lamb and Olsen Filipaina to find the last one...

His ball handling skills and change of direction are excellent but he doesn't strike me as having high or explosive speed... seems a classic ball-handling backrower for mine...
Wally Lewis?

His ball handling skills and change of direction are excellent but he doesn't strike me as having high or explosive speed... i know his role hasn't been to kick so maybe that is a string to his bow that I haven't seen a lot of...

at this point he seems a classic ball-handling backrower for mine...
He is Wally Lewis shaped, the best ever 6.

Whether or not Schu remains in the forwards, there's no doubt the hard lessons he's learned this year about toughness will stand him in good stead for the future.

Wally was a junior lock forward in rugby union I believe.
According to Wikepedia (which is always right lol) Shoo at 105kg has 11kg on Wally....

Wally was leaner as young man in my mind but my me.ory is pretty sh*t at times... Wally certainly seemed more explosive anyways...

To be fair I have not seen a lot of Shoo at 5/8 so maybe is the next superstar 6... I was simply observing that he is not the classic modern 6 type...

Melbourne - Smith Hughes Munster Papenhowzen
Penrith - Api Cleary Luai Edwards
Souths - Cook Reynolds Walker Mitchell
Manly - Croker DCE Foran Turbo

The spine is the most important part of the team. they are who your game plan is usually structured around. As you can see we are a far cry from the top 3 teams I mean only turbo would walk into any other club at the top the other three wouldn't get a start.

Hopefully things change next year for us otherwise like Wayne said in his presser you can't build a team around an individual for the simple fact that if he gets injured your season is done. If manly had any other fullback other then turbo im not even quite sure we would have been in the 8.
Spine was the best part.

Forwards and centre’s are the ones that lag here. Injuries and lack of composure didn’t help.

NYEagle

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8