Manlys defensive concerns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not gunna leap off a cliff after 1 game with a long season ahead but the defence was a big issue for many reasons...
*Defence is a real indicator of attitude
*Not a Gould fan but his point on lack of communication was evident also
*The physical presence of the fowards was soft - this new rule of quick release can ONLY be beaten through solid contact - dominating the attacker, which WILL be rewarded by the refs as shown in the first 2 games
*Many occasions the Parra attack went wide off the back of speedy play the balls & the Manly defence went backwards looking awkward & uncomfortable- always a fan of pushing up & though its tough with 3 on 4 or even 2 on 3 which was often the case - had to jam in & make them throw the perfect 25 metre cutout pass which is the low percentage play leading to intercepts, foward passes ect & at least makes the attacker make a decision plus belting them tears up the invite for the next time.
*Almost every time the Eels started a set in the Manly half -they scored. Lucky there was so much dropped ball & the fact we had ALL the field position....
The attack was poor but fact is it comes back to lack of sting in the defence - this dictates the momentum in the modern game.

Its cause DCE is a c*nt!
Wrong thread - though if you think he is, your entitled to your opinion - fact is the defensive issues were up the middle & he was 1 of few who actually did tackle

Think we only had one or two possessions in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Any team that has to do that much tackling in that period of the game is going to run out of gas.

Think we only had one or two possessions in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Any team that has to do that much tackling in that period of the game is going to run out of gas.
Hason to blame for that shocking start to the half.

Its cause DCE is a c*nt!

I think it well and truly time to move on. If Manly take this Attitude for the rest of the season, we will be battling for the spoon.

Time to show positive attitude to DCE for the rest of the year so Manly can do their absolute best

Next year we can call DCE a c*nt loudly from the rafters.

He did take Choc out with a knee ,don't be too hard on him...

( regarding Hasson) - And if he gets suspended it's win - win. Nailed choc and finally the goat photos become ineffective!

Re defense, I'm certainly no expert but is the rushing sideways and in leaving 3 man overlaps really the best thing to do? That tactic seemed to get wolfie hanged last year.

No - Wolf was in trouble for rushing in when it was not necessary, leaving his man unmarked.
Its a case of following your inside man with good communication & commitment - unlike last night.
The best thing Global is to man up & have your numbers levelled in a perfect world, but in these circumstances where their playing the ball 100mph & 6,7 & 9's have time to exploit an overlap the reaction needs to be quick & aggressive , especially on your try line where the attacker will simply dig in at the sliding defence & score all day..
As shown last night this backing off was a slow death - but to cut it off ALL must close down & jam in otherwise theres simply holes & zig zag defence line.
This of course varies with field position as in opposition territory the defence line can shorten up ,making the attacking team play sideways this is where slide easily closes down the lateral attack

I'm not making any player the bad guy, I'm purely talking about the balance of the team. Why did we purchase Mateo and retain Tom Symonds when it seems obvious that we needed at least two hard nosed grunty backrowers....What I know about team structure would probably fit on the back of a postage stamp but even I can see that we'de stand a far greater chance of winning if we had more mongrel up front allowing our world class backline to strut their stuff.

When Buhrer and Matai return we'll have even more attacking options but how do we bolster the pack with what's available in our lower grades.

Hiku plays his best football at fullback. But we have that position well and truly covered.
He is a terrible defensive winger. If he plays it should be at centre. Jamie also had one of his poorer games last night.
The lack of defense by our outside backs was the most disturbing aspect of the loss, for me.

Hiku plays his best football at fullback. But we have that position well and truly covered.
He is a terrible defensive winger. If he plays it should be at centre. Jamie also had one of his poorer games last night.
The lack of defense by our outside backs was the most disturbing aspect of the loss, for me.
Too true Mr Who but the problems started at the ruck.
Totally agree that the outside defence looked flimsy & EVERY time Parramatta went wide it was a carve up - only dropped balls saved us from more pain.
The 1 time Blair jammed in was around the 65th minute mark & he stopped them dead - plus crushed their momentum that set on the back of it....
On the other hand his decision to cross over (which is not jamming in - but cutting across your centre from outside in leaving a massive overlap) cost us I think that 2nd try when Sandow slipped inside him & then got the ball outside.....some poor decisions & communication out wide all night - actually it was all over the park.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7