Manlys best since fulton, Napper or Snake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I seen them all:
Bozo

daylight

Beaver/Lyon

I would have Brett ahead of cliffy.

I loved wombat-I think his legacy suffers because of eras. The way they played league in the 70's early 80's, wombat was a colossus-a standout.
All great players

You do a dis-service to compare these two. Snake is one of the best full backs of this generation, blinding speed and an ability to score an impossible try. I am not going to lie. Snake probably wins on consistency and defence.

Napper, he wasn't an athlete, If the stories are correct it was a packet of cigs and a meat pie at half time. And yet he is still the greatest magician to ever hold a football. Clifford wins by a country mile in my biased opinion.

Graeme Eadie, with Lyon a close second.

Eadie dominated in his position and selected for Australia more often than not (20 tests). Only had that grub Jack as completion and Bretnall. But IMO better than both.

Snake, overshadowed by Slater, GI and Hayne.
Cliffy, overshadowed by the King, Bert and on a par with Baa Baa.
Beaver, overshadowed by Gordy, Clyde and on a par with Hindmarsh.

Lyon, could of played 35 tests, and would never of pushed Inglis out of any Aus team, however would've of made it hard for Hodges to play as many tests as he did.

Oh and Eadie also won 4 grand finals . Two more than Bever, Lyon and Snake.

Beaver and Tooves are on a pedestal for just above the rest of the legends. I've said this before, but I think one of the biggest injustices in Rugby League is that these two guys are afforded the right in the games history books as being one club players.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Back on topic please , this is about Snake V Napper.

It's a given that Bozo, Wombat, Beaver are all up there as the greatest Eagles but the original post was a comparison of Stewart V Lyons ( not Lyon)

Snake.

As much as I love Cliffy, no-one has got fans on their feet in anticipation like Snake has in a long, long time. His record - tries and win ratio - speaks for itself.

Beaver boy said:
Graeme Eadie, with Lyon a close second.

Eadie dominated in his position and selected for Australia more often than not (20 tests). Only had that grub Jack as completion and Bretnall. But IMO better than both.

Snake, overshadowed by Slater, GI and Hayne.
Cliffy, overshadowed by the King, Bert and on a par with Baa Baa.
Beaver, overshadowed by Gordy, Clyde and on a par with Hindmarsh.

Lyon, could of played 35 tests, and would never of pushed Inglis out of any Aus team, however would've of made it hard for Hodges to play as many tests as he did.

Oh and Eadie also won 4 grand finals . Two more than Bever, Lyon and Snake.

Disagree Beaver boy,
Snake lost ground at Rep level to the others due to injury and injustice, he wouldn't have kept Slater out of a Roos jersey but may have pushed him to the wing, ditto with Inglis and Hayne.

Cliffy wasn't as consistent as Wally, Kenny played plenty of centre so was a walk up start especially when Sterlo was #7, Lamb had a grubbiness to his game that Cliffy didn't.

Beaver was always one of the first picked in Rep teams due to his versatility ( much like Ella and Des ), Gordy was crazy and great, Clyde was a machine in attack and defence, Hindy - different type of backrower to Beaver but Beaver everyday.

I'd pick Lyon and Hodges over Inglis, their work ethic and leadership is better.

Wombat was great but just because he played in 4 winning GF's shouldn't be a deciding factor.
By that reckoning Vic Mauro is better then Wayne Pearce or Matt Wood is better than ET because they've won a comp? Also, pre-salary cap era.

In terms of playing ability Cliffy is the best Manly player I have ever seen in my lifetime and Snake is second. The player that makes me proudest to be a Manly fan is the great Beaver.

Wombat never gets the full praise he deserves on this forum...must be an age thing. Eadie didn't just play in 4 premierships (and countless other finals)
He was a juggernaut that led the team.
It was Langlands that kept him out of the Australian number 1 at the beginning of his career. Chang was Aussie captain in 75, so the records could have been much different if Chang wasn't around. Just my opinion

Wombat should be an immortal, we need to see more videos of the great man, like the time he collected the ball from inside his goal line at the sports stadium, then proceeded to knock over every player in his path and score, or the time he scored in the UK and then took out the fence, it went down like dominos

Stu Bot,

wThe pure fact is that these players like Gordy, Clyde, Slater were automatic selections, beaver, cliffy, snake had to wait for injuries or on bench in Oz teams.

Snake had many chances to usurp Slater after his injury, but as much as I don't like Slater he has gone on to dizzying heights.

Lyon and Hodges together wouldn't tie Inglis's bootlaces. He's a freak of nature and will rightly go down as an immortal.

Eadie was a juggernaut, leading us to our first ever GF, then being instrumental in the next three.

1. Bozo

2. Eadie

3. Beaver

4. Reilly

5. Lyon

6. Snake

7. Cliffy

8. Tooves

9. Shearer

10. Watmough/O'Connor

Beaver boy said:
Lyon and Hodges together wouldn't tie Inglis's bootlaces. He's a freak of nature and will rightly go down as an immortal.

Really can't agree with that. If we are talking as centres (and not Inglis in his current fullback role), I would take Jamie over a full season. Jamie shows that he turns up for every game and is instrumental in the result. When Inglis was playing centre for the rabbits, storm, he could go missing for games on end. That's not something I believe you could ever say about Killer.

Sure Inglis would get up for some games, and would be devastating. But I really believe until he moved to fullback, those games were few and far between.

Killer03 said:
Beaver boy said:

Really can't agree with that. If we are talking as centres (and not Inglis in his current fullback role), I would take Jamie over a full season. Jamie shows that he turns up for every game and is instrumental in the result. When Inglis was playing centre for the rabbits, storm, he could go missing for games on end. That's not something I believe you could ever say about Killer.

Sure Inglis would get up for some games, and would be devastating. But I really believe until he moved to fullback, those games were few and far between.

Totally agree. Inglis is a freak of nature - sometimes - Lyon is all class all of the time.

Lyon all day long. Plays with all the heart in the world, backs it up by having the freakish skills to win us games from nothing. Deadly given the ball in space, and outstanding defensively. A true champion in every sense of the word.

Inglis goes missing too often. Some of the things he does are insane and he makes a great youtube highlights package at the end of the year, but when he's really needed, he's not a guarantee to show up. Take this years grand final, dogs were back in the game and momentum was swinging, then it was the Burgess boys that stood up to be counted for and led the way, broke the game back in souths favour and when the game was won Inglis turns up to score a try so he's on the scoresheet. I think he's class, but to say he's better than lyon at centre - where he no longer plays - is way off the mark. Lyon has been the best centre in the game for years.

Beaver boy said:
Stu Bot,

wThe pure fact is that these players like Gordy, Clyde, Slater were automatic selections, beaver, cliffy, snake had to wait for injuries or on bench in Oz teams.

Snake had many chances to usurp Slater after his injury, but as much as I don't like Slater he has gone on to dizzying heights.

Eadie was a juggernaut, leading us to our first ever GF, then being instrumental in the next three.
r

You misread my response Beaver boy.
Gordy and Clyde were the best two backrowers of their time, but Beaver was an auto pick for ANY team on the bench due to his versatility regardless.

Cliffy was behind Wally ( 5/8 and lock ) and Kenny ( 5/8 and centre )

Snake was never going to usurp Slater at fullback after missing the boat but I firmly believe on an equal footing he could have kept Slater on the wing for Australia. Once Slater had the #1 it was his, just like for Qld ( and not even the Golden Boy Inglis can take it off him )
They both have phenomonal strike rates - Snake is only 14 tries behind Slater from 70 less games. Sometimes there are great players in the same position and their careers run parallel. eg Slater, Snake, Mini just like Changa and Eadie.

I stand by my rating of Lyon and Hodges over Inglis, Hodges is another that injuries at crucial stages of his career have curtailed his standing in the game.

Yes, Wombat was a juggernaut and very influential in our 4 GF wins in the 70's ( yes, I'm old enough to have seen him play many times ) but just because he's won 4 comps compared to Snakes 2 doesn't make him an automatically superior player.

I'd put Snake above Wombat but I know many others would disagree.

But the thread question was "Manly's best since Fulton, Napper or Snake?"

My opinion Snake, by a good length.

globaleagle said:
The Who said:
I'm old enough to have seen all of Fulton's career, and he is the greatest. No other Manly player has been able to influence a match like he did. He had the speed and acceleration of Slater, the 'nouse' of JT, the endurance of Matt Balin and an insatiable will-to-win.

All of the old footage of bozo is in black and white.

Some of it has been colourised :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScaBE5wNVNo

Its tough but for the forwards I would pick steve menzies for the outsidebacks I would pick lyon, only because I think injuries affected brett stewarts career a bit.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4