Manly young guns eyeing releases

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So how does Shuster ever debut SE8? He’ll be singing the team song in a wheelchair with Thomas Kinneally before he gets a run if he waits for a strong settled lineup.

Cant see a strong settled line up on the horizon with Parker Garrick Croker Boyle JetSki getting a run each week.
Strong settled line ups come from recruiting good players( highly unlikely ) or taking the longer term youth route ( Penrith )or both.

Panthers were talented yet wayward and unreliable under Hook but the investment has paid massive dividends for Cleary.It may have escaped attention but we have some of the best junior rep sides in the comp.That’s the blueprint. Pain for gain.

If Shuster was at Roosters do you think Lam plays last week. We all know the answer to that.Have a look at Walker close up. Kids a genius but a runt. Looks like he’s 15. And playing next week at 18.

These kids are so confident now anyway. That “ease them in stuff “ is exactly the thinking that has us playing Foran Parker and Garrick against the best attacking edge in the league this weekend. Being a footballer isn’t enough now , you need speed.And it’s so damn obvious.

More to the point what’s to lose. Can it possibly get any worse?Have you ever seen our stocks lower? I havent in 50 years.Some will pass, some will fail. At least have a plan and give the fans hope. Des actually EXTENDED some of these tortoises so what exactly is the plan !Fans Will accept losses if they see the future running around out there. They won’t accept the rubbish served up last week by guys with no upside.

Now Des has an incentive based contract requiring instant results. Just what we need when in fact we need a long term plan. Club has no leaders, on the field and off. Anywhere. That’s the issue.
Thank you!

Its the backwards thinking of "we have to find just the right time when everything is just perfect to blood theses guys" that has kept us in the doldrums.

Nobody is saying to these young guys "come in and fix things". That is not the reality; neither is it a matter of earning your stripes and being loyal to those in the team. You are loyal to a player who performs, not to players who have had plenty of opportunities and continually prove they are not up to it.

These young guys need to be put in, backed, and given much needed experience to develop and show what they can do. Schu and Olakau'atu should have been in before this. They should now be entering their second season with at least 10-15 games under their belt. We finished 13th last year! Playing them wouldn't mean we sacrificed ladder position. It would only put us and them in a stronger position now. So what does Des do? He makes the same mistake yet again until we lose them, or this season is bust and then he throws them in and we have effectively wasted a year.

As you stated, Walker is circa 80kg ringing wet while the nineteen year old Schuster is 106kg which would make him the biggest 5/8 in the comp along with Wighton. He is ready in every way. Put him in. 5/8, centre, even the bench if needed - just get him in. Once Ola comes back from injury - give him one game in reggies for fitness then promote him to the bench. It is also time to promote Sione Fainu or Saddler when he is eligible. Harper for Walker at Fullback - Walker back to centre (Parker out) with Suli who is on warning (otherwise Tuipulotu comes in). Hurricane Garrick as Des calls him can blow-off to Blacktown while Koula comes in (he is another Brian To'o from the Panthers in my book). Crocker out - Cust starts with Birt on the bench if he is eligible.

There is no way these changes will result in us doing any worse. We will be a bit up and down for a month or so, then you watch them (and the team as a whole) improve dramatically. We will then be in a great position to make a title tilt next year. It isn't rocket science. Des needs to get out of his own way, swallow his pride and make some changes. This will revitalise the team with youthful energy and attitude which we desperately need. We are stale, flat and not a team at the moment - the youth coming in together will unite this team.

Last edited:
Just remember everyone was annoy that Des did give young hoppa a run...... then when he did he was useless, the step up to NRL level was too much for him even with his boundless confidence!

just sayin’
He was two years out of the game after two ACLs and hadn't played since he was 16 years old - of course he sucked. He is not a sample indicative of the population - he is an outlier.

Just remember everyone was annoy that Des did give young hoppa a run...... then when he did he was useless, the step up to NRL level was too much for him even with his boundless confidence!

just sayin’
What is Ur point? The Schu played 1game last year and was outstanding the trial as well
He is a relatively kwown quantity who is quality
Just sayin

just sayin’
Hoppa hadn’t played for two years and wasn’t playing reserve grade. We were also getting flogged by fifty every week last year with the same guys Des is picking now in the team and they still get flogged every week.
Ricky sees something in Hoppa and bag him as much as you like , he was the first coach to see where the game was going and introduced mobility and speed and got rid of logs like Boyd and now he’s yielding the results.

Hoppa had a lot of talent and it won’t be long before we see it. Look at the long list of guys we have let go as youngsters in recent years. It’s horrible reading.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Its the backwards thinking of "we have to find just the right time when everything is just perfect to blood theses guys" that has kept us in the doldrums.

Nobody is saying to these young guys "come in and fix things". That is not the reality; neither is it a matter of earning your stripes and being loyal to those in the team. You are loyal to a player who performs, not to players who have had plenty of opportunities and continually prove they are not up to it.

These young guys need to be put in, backed, and given much needed experience to develop and show what they can do. Schu and Olakau'atu should have been in before this. They should now be entering their second season with at least 10-15 games under their belt. We finished 13th last year! Playing them wouldn't mean we sacrificed ladder position. It would only put us and them in a stronger position now. So what does Des do? He makes the same mistake yet again until we lose them, or this season is bust and then he throws them in and we have effectively wasted a year.

As you stated, Walker is circa 80kg ringing wet while the nineteen year old Schuster is 106kg which would make him the biggest 5/8 in the comp along with Wighton. He is ready in every way. Put him in. 5/8, centre, even the bench if needed - just get him in. Once Ola comes back from injury - give him one game in reggies for fitness then promote him to the bench. It is also time to promote Sione Fainu or Saddler when he is eligible. Harper for Walker at Fullback - Walker back to centre (Parker out) with Suli who is on warning (otherwise Tuipulotu comes in). Hurricane Garrick as Des calls him can blow-off to Blacktown while Koula comes in (he is another Brian To'o from the Panthers in my book). Crocker out - Cust starts with Birt on the bench if he is eligible.

There is no way these changes will result in us doing any worse. We will be a bit up and down for a month or so, then you watch them (and the team as a whole) improve dramatically. We will then be in a great position to make a title tilt next year. It isn't rocket science. Des needs to get out of his own way, swallow his pride and make some changes. This will revitalise the team with youthful energy and attitude which we desperately need. We are stale, flat and not a team at the moment - the youth coming in together will unite this team.
This is exactly it.In other words look straight at Penrith.Erratic yet talented fir three years , now premiership favourites with half the team still in nappies.

The point is we can’t do any worse. Anyone who seriously thinks Parker , Garrick , Croker and co are even close to first graders the way the game is played now isn’t watching.

Spot on - someone with some commonsense. Schu still should be on the bench but young kids wont get us out of this hole - Des is showing loyalty and you need that in any club. Loyalty given results in loyalty received. I would guess that Parker, Garrick, Croker are on their last chance. I don't agree with Des with Walker at Fullback and Cust not in the side and Schu not on the bench but loyalty does engender team spirit. If we get hammered again which is a chance and then if next week he picks those the same team - then I think we can be angry. It is no good blooding more "kids" and get a shellacking week after week. The confidence and even the skills of the "kids" get smashed. A million years ago in the dinosaur age I was playing A Grade in Brisbane and we were all a team of "talented" kids - all 19/20 year olds - the entire team. We had a few wins but we got smashed week in week out. Now for someone like me who loved to tackle - my confidence didn't wane because all we did most games was tackle so I was in my element but to the skilled attacking youngsters it totally destroyed some of them where their confidence never recovered. This obviously would be different in just blooding one or two but getting beat by 40 is not fun. I don't agree with Des' selections but he has Davey in and Cust on the fringe now and that is a start to fixing this team this year. Let's see what the weekend and then next week's team brings. I am still confident Des is the man and we have a team to make the 8.
Another chance ? Thry have lost eleven of last twelve conceding near 40 a game.They are embarrassingly slow and playing a game from three years ago.If you don’t pick some youth whose left?

I played in the 80s too and coached some top line juniors up here till a few years ago including Jai Arrow. Confidence ain’t an issue believe me.They are nothing like we were.Not even close.Game is totally different as well with interchange, superior strength training and not a posse of headhunters out there.

Exhibit A. Penrith- pain for gain.

Last edited:
This is exactly it.In other words look straight at Penrith.Erratic yet talented fir three years , now premiership favourites with half the team still in nappies.

The point is we can’t do any worse. Anyone who seriously thinks Parker , Garrick , Croker and co are even close to first graders the way the game is played now isn’t watching.
True enough. We were able to carry one or two of them at a time in 2019...but all of them together isn’t pretty. Great Manly teams of the past have been able - in fact often enhanced - by having a couple of less able players who are lifted by greatness around them, and will always give 100%. Stuey Davis, Willo, The Mule, Danny Moore, those kind of guys. but they were usually the odd man out, surrounded by inspirational players. We haven’t got that right now... nobody is lifting them.

Another chance ? Thry have lost eleven of last twelve conceding near 40 a game.They are embarrassingly slow and playing a game from three years ago.If you don’t pick some youth whose left?

I played in the 80s too and coached some top line juniors up here till a few years ago including Jai Arrow. Confidence ain’t an issue believe me.They are nothing like we were.Not even close.Game is totally different as well with interchange, superior strength training and not a posse of headhunters out there.

Exhibit A. Penrith- pain for gain.
Um... yes today's players are much more fragile, much more all about them and not the team, much more about the money...... lots to be said about today's players indeed!

Hoppa hadn’t played for two years and wasn’t playing reserve grade. We were also getting flogged by fifty every week last year with the same guys Des is picking now in the team and they still get flogged every week.
Ricky sees something in Hoppa and bag him as much as you like , he was the first coach to see where the game was going and introduced mobility and speed and got rid of logs like Boyd and now he’s yielding the results.

Hoppa had a lot of talent and it won’t be long before we see it. Look at the long list of guys we have let go as youngsters in recent years. It’s horrible reading.
Hoppa played in the NSW Cup last weekend for Canberra on the wing and scored 2 tries. It might not be long before he gets in 1st grade after all.

Hoppa played in the NSW Cup last weekend for Canberra on the wing and scored 2 tries. It might not be long before he gets in 1st grade after all.
His father pretty much poisoned whatever relationship Albert had with Manly. Better for everybody for him to move on and continue his career somewhere else. I hope he makes it but can't really blame the club for his exit.

just sayin’
Agree, however Schuster & Olakau’atu have both shown / proven they’re capable!!! With more opportunities they can only get better. For mine we’re holding back the development of these two by continuous non-selection.

just sayin’
There’s a story re Matt Burton on Fox whereby Phil Gould says not allowing him an early release to play 1st grade at the Bulldogs is detrimental to his development. He’s better than a reserve grader & needs to develop more in 1st grade. Not allowing him to leave & force him to stay & play reserve grade will cause problems down the track & the possibility of him ever returning to the Panthers if either of their current halves can’t be resigned due to salary cap restrictions.

His father pretty much poisoned whatever relationship Albert had with Manly. Better for everybody for him to move on and continue his career somewhere else. I hope he makes it but can't really blame the club for his exit.
Yes Manly didn't cut him, just didn't want to pay more than $250k for him - the contract was on the table and Hoppa didn't take it up.

just sayin’

What IS Hopoate's status? He's not in Canberra's top 30 squad on their website, OR in their development squad. I know he signed on league minimums. Ex-Manly sensation snubs family ties for rival

EDIT: Nevermind, he is playing in their NSW Cup team at centre.

Wow, what a fall from grace. He should have swallowed his pride, kept quiet, signed that multi year contract, and came along slowly at Manly. He'd be with his family, continuing to develop and improve.

Sad, really. I really hope we have no more Hopoate's at out club. I saw one on the wing for The Bears on the weekend when we trounced them.

What IS Hopoate's status? He's not in Canberra's top 30 squad on their website, OR in their development squad. I know he signed on league minimums. Ex-Manly sensation snubs family ties for rival

EDIT: Nevermind, he is playing in their NSW Cup team at centre.

Wow, what a fall from grace. He should have swallowed his pride, kept quiet, signed that multi year contract, and came along slowly at Manly. He'd be with his family, continuing to develop and improve.

Sad, really. I really hope we have no more Hopoate's at out club. I saw one on the wing for The Bears on the weekend when we trounced them.
there is nearly enough of them to have a Hoppa at every club .We still have one in the lower grades , Lefeti I think

Finding it very difficult to understand this Shuster criticism after one quiet game- a game in which he was a half in a 30 point demolition of a side containing Walker and Sualli.

He has been a “standout” his entire junior career, was the only “ standout” in the trial and was a “standout” in his debut game with none other than B Marshall throwing a huge wrap on him.Those two games were against basically full strength Tigers first graders.

Now it seems our other half in that game , the unknown brother of the warrior come rooster (who was bog ordinary for warriors) who has no pedigree and is employed by Blacktown and not in our top 30 or development squad, is a better player on the back of a Blacktown win and a quiet game from Josh.

Meanwhile Parker, Croker and Garrick masquerade as first graders. They wouldn’t lace Schusters boot.
Should be 14. Simple as that.
Join the Shuster to 14 conga line Susan. Anyone that thinks he shouldn’t be named because of age and experience......please! Imagine if Gus didn’t take a punt on a raw-boned 17 yr old schoolboy back in ‘89.
Yes, that’s right, I just compared him to a young Brad Fittler. That’s how much potential I see in Shuster.
Take the brakes off Des, and show some faith in the young bloke.

1616049688732.png

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8