Manly will learn

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

Ok, before we all blow up and silvertails becomes the apocalypse lets calm down a little and consider the following.

1) A majority of our main players will now have had a much needed break- fitness will return. We get Koroisau, Lawrence, Green, Wright back next week

2) We had 7 players not in the side, meaning that our depth, although shocking tonight, isn't too bad as any side couldn't thoroughly replace 7 of their best 17. A majority of the replacements we did have were very inexperienced and/or don't play 80 minutes or often. Joey Lussick, Brad Parker, Lloyd Perrett, Jarryd Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Jackson Hastings, Cameron Cullen being the replacements

3) We will learn a ****load from this performance, also we still managed to post a fight back when emotion came into it- finals are fueled by emotion and we were dominant when emotion crept into this match

4) We had 3 dummy halfs playing in multiple positions, no wonder our middle got demolished

5) I loved baz's press conference, absolutely loved it

All in all, there is NO excuse for conceding 52. But with this huge lesson and brilliant wake up call combined with the mass returning players in the upcoming weeks I'm expecting us to absolutely play for everything and take home a winning run coming in towards the finals. Depth is most certainly our biggest issue in 2017 and if we can keep our main squad on field for a majority of the time we're in with a big shot, so maybe resting players isn't such a bad thing after all. We just need most of our best players on field

1. We must learn to stop the offloads. Illawarra killed us with them. This modern way of dancing in a tackle, allowing them to free their arms, allows offloads.
2. We must practice diffusing bombs.
3. Lussick should be punished for his stupidity - and poor play - by playing for the Manly Workers. He has been really disappointing this season.
4. Illawarra definitely has the wood on us, much the way we always play well against Cronulla. There is such a thing as a 'hoodoo' team, even though most people dismiss it.
5. I always thought we'd be a better chance of beating the Storm than Illawarra. I'm quitely confident of a win next match.

The players will be stinging.
No player likes a defeat like that.
But we did have significant players out and it took saints a long time and a sh*tload of possession to go through us for a try.
They got a wake up call and I reckon they'll be wide awake from here on.
Go Manly !!

The players will be stinging.
No player likes a defeat like that.
But we did have significant players out and it took saints a long time and a sh*tload of possession to go through us for a try.
They got a wake up call and I reckon they'll be wide awake from here on.
Go Manly !!
Yeah definitely will be much more awake from now on, exciting to see how we respond

Yes that is the big question
How will this team respond
We might not beat Melbourne in Melbourne but a closer game with plenty of effort will see how far this team has come

Most teams cop a flogging somewhere along the line

Broncos got dished up by Melbourne, Sharks by us and the Chooks

Never thought we were prem material anyway but 1 big flogging doesn't rule a team out

Historically, leaking 50 points does rule a team out.

I could cop a loss today and I could cop a flogging of 20 points, but leaking 50 makes me a bit sick and embarrassed. Especially when it's against Saints; they are the biggest bunch of fairy pretenders in the competition besides the Eels. I cannot stand Widdop.

Hope you're right, Harry, but shouldn't we have learned from the last hiding the Dragons gave us? They offloaded at will in that game, too.
Nah, they just picked up the wrong lesson. They figured it was a personnel mistake last time against the Saints, so changed half the team for this game. I'm still not confident they have picked up on the offloads strategy, takes a fine rugby league eye to catch such subtle tactics. @:D

Ok, before we all blow up and silvertails becomes the apocalypse lets calm down a little and consider the following.

1) A majority of our main players will now have had a much needed break- fitness will return. We get Koroisau, Lawrence, Green, Wright back next week

2) We had 7 players not in the side, meaning that our depth, although shocking tonight, isn't too bad as any side couldn't thoroughly replace 7 of their best 17. A majority of the replacements we did have were very inexperienced and/or don't play 80 minutes or often. Joey Lussick, Brad Parker, Lloyd Perrett, Jarryd Kennedy, Shaun Lane, Jackson Hastings, Cameron Cullen being the replacements

3) We will learn a ****load from this performance, also we still managed to post a fight back when emotion came into it- finals are fueled by emotion and we were dominant when emotion crept into this match

4) We had 3 dummy halfs playing in multiple positions, no wonder our middle got demolished

5) I loved baz's press conference, absolutely loved it

All in all, there is NO excuse for conceding 52. But with this huge lesson and brilliant wake up call combined with the mass returning players in the upcoming weeks I'm expecting us to absolutely play for everything and take home a winning run coming in towards the finals. Depth is most certainly our biggest issue in 2017 and if we can keep our main squad on field for a majority of the time we're in with a big shot, so maybe resting players isn't such a bad thing after all. We just need most of our best players on field
Great post young man, couldn't agree with you more. Would have given you multiple winner trophies if that were permitted.

Great post young man, couldn't agree with you more. Would have given you multiple winner trophies if that were permitted.
Thanks Kevin, I truly believe that this side is a really good side and a performance like this must have had its reasons, yet, despite whatever reasons there may or may not have been we will at least learn plenty of lessons, that of which we can take into the back end of the season and come out better.

At least we aren't in a form slump that doesn't result in anything, every loss we've had has been a huge lesson and our inexperienced side can take so much more from these than a Bulldogs or a Storm would take, exciting times

Great to hear the general positivity and well said young Harry. I was expecting a meltdown of apocalyptic proportions.

It was a shocker, it hurt our F/A, but when the other mob has over 60% possession and we had 7 odd first grade players missing, then it is always going to be a tough day at the office.

We bounced back last time Saints touched us up, and quietly confident we will still finish the season strongly.

It has always been about building for next year realistically, so the razor blades are safely tucked away for the moment.

Last edited:
No team has ever won the comp after conceding 50 points during the regular season

Seriously, did you ever think we were going to win the comp?

We have over achieved massively , especially with all that cap on the sideline BUT once injuries started to bite we were always going to come up a bit short.

Love to think we could but we had to have absolutely everything go our way, which is an impossible dream.

I thought Parker went OK, pity he got a whack early on (which should have been penalised, duh). Cullen is tenacious. I actually think all our reserves are OK, if we only had one of them playing, but hard when there are 4 or 5 thrown in together.
Dragons got a dream start with those kick tries and intercept.
Not fun viewing but I doubt we are finished, in fact I expect a big performance next week. Time will tell ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8