Manly want to play St Helens,if Broncos dont

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Manly to march in

Adam Lucius

17Oct06

MANLY have launched an audacious bid to take the place of disinterested Brisbane in next year's prestigious World Club Challenge in England.

The Manly Daily can reveal the Sea Eagles have already put plans in place to fly to the UK to play the Saints in early February if the Broncos pull out of the game.

St Helens added the Super League title to their Challenge Cup crown with victory over the Peter Sharp-coached Hull on Sunday.

St Helens centre Jamie Lyon is on his way to Australia to link with the Sea Eagles, adding further interest to a potential clash between the two clubs.

``What better way to start the new season than having Jamie Lyon playing for his new club against his old club,'' Manly CEO Grant Mayer said last night.

``I must stress this idea is only in its infancy but we are serious about going over there if Brisbane don't want to play.

``It would be treated as a trial match but we think it would be a wonderful meeting between two of the world's great rugby league clubs. It would be a tremendous experience for our players to run out at Saints' Knowsley Rd ground or Huddersfield's Galpharm Stadium.''

Manly centre Steve Bell last night welcomed the chance to play against the UK champions.

``It would be a real experience to play over there,'' he said.

``I've never played in England and I'd love the opportunity to do so. It would be a shame if Brisbane couldn't play in the game but we'd jump at the chance.''

The Broncos are on the verge of withdrawing from next year's match, fearing they will be forced to field a side minus their representative stars. The game is due to be played in Australia for the first time since 1994.

But the Sea Eagles are prepared to travel to England if their proposal is accepted by the UK's Rugby Football League. Manly played in the second World Club Challenge in 1987, going down 8-2 to Wigan at Central Park.

It's a trial, treat is as a trial. Not a worldbeating idea, but I've seen worse drivel from you.

(Ohh Dessie should be sacked, ohhhh Dessy will never make changes to the side, ohhhh Dessie Dessie Dessie)

There could well be supplemental reasons for this idea such as:
- making recruiting connections in UK
- bonding/reward experience for players/coach
- Zorba keen to try the pork pies

Every year temas complain about playing this game, but they still play it.

Therefore the Broncs will play St Helens and Manly wont. It's a stupid story imo

Cheers

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]
[quote author=Barks]
ohhhh Dessie Dessie Dessie

Sounds like a 1970's song title.

[/quote]
Or the nineties classic " Des , Des , Dessie "

[/quote]

Earl, sounds like we need a version for the new millenium. I know.....Barks & Byso can co-write it. :p

[quote author=earl]
[quote author=Jatz Crackers]
[quote author=Barks]
ohhhh Dessie Dessie Dessie

Sounds like a 1970's song title.

[/quote]
Or the nineties classic " Des , Des , Dessie "

[/quote]

Earl, sounds like we need a version for the new millenium. I know.....Barks & Byso can co-write it. :p

[/quote]
" Des never opens his eyes anymore , when he picks his teeeeaaaam.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4