MANLY v Tigers: - Pre game discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Would of loved the same refs for the Newcastle game. They just let everything go. We need refs like that as we push the boundaries in the tackle/ruck area and try and also rough up opposition!

We should win this convincingly , BUT , in the past it's been games like this that we look back on and say " how the **** did that happen".

And let's not forget ( and I know different teams), but last year , or was it the year before, we were on a bit of a run, expected to win easily and were absolutely tooled by the Tigpies ( I admit at their home ground not ours) SO an easy win isn't going to just happen.

When i was a kid we would kill for a -7 degree day. We usually had to walk bare-foot to school through the snow without a shirt on in -30 degrees. And that was in summer.

I should be so lucky ... why when I were a lad -30 were considered an eat wave ....

Aaron Woods looked fresh in today's presser, thought he'd be more tired from Wednesday's Herculean effort

View attachment 5939
Ill say one thing about Woods - stat wise his numbers might be good but fmd in Origin his carries were on par with old Nate lol never hit the line at speed and just got owned so happy we didnt mortgage the spit bridge to get him over. Highly overrated imo. The Tigers lack forward leadership so hopefully we focus on smashing this mangirl and the rest of his mates capitulate too. Go Manly

Agree in a big way. There are no easy beats in this comp. We almost got done by Newcastle not that long ago so I hope Baz has them mentally prepared for this one.

Well, where we are , or even where we could be is so far in front of where I thought we'd be that I'll be happy regardless!
As i mentioned at the start of the year, it is a 3yr plan with a 2-3yr period of opportunity to win a GF.(making it a 5yr range)

If Manly make the top 4 this year they will be a year ahead of expectations, considering the lack of forward depth we have this will be a great result.

What will kill Manly's season this year is a lack of depth, injuries and running out of gas, but the potential is there to make a big dent even this year if things go Manly's way.

Manly are looking flat at times with patches/periods of individual aggression,sharpness and power getting Manly out of the grind.

Lack of control in the tackle/ruck and offloads is creeping in again, line speed is not as good as a month ago in certain patches of the game, more reliant on individual aggression to gain the ascendancy, also a lack of controlled structured application in the tackle.

Dragons and Melb will put points on us if this continues, we can't rely on our attacking arrogance/confidence that is building to get out of games.

As i mentioned at the start of the year, it is a 3yr plan with a 2-3yr period of opportunity to win a GF.(making it a 5yr range)

If Manly make the top 4 this year they will be a year ahead of expectations, considering the lack of forward depth we have.

What will kill Manly's season this year is a lack of depth, injuries and running out of gas, but the potential is their to make a big dent even this year if things go Manly's way.

Manly are looking flat at times with patches/periods of individual aggression,sharpness and power getting Manly out of the grind.

Lack of control in the tackle/ruck and offloads is creeping in again, line speed is not as good as a month ago in certain patches of the game, more reliant on individual aggression to gain the ascendancy, also a lack of controlled structured application in the tackle.

Dragons and Melb will put points on us if this continues, we can't rely on our attacking arrogance/confidence that is building to get out of games.
I totally agree with everything you are saying but I will add...

The reason the line speed and aggression is lacking is because of mental application. You have correctly identified that the offloads are creeping back in etc. We saw none of it against the Sharks because we were mentally focused and enthusiastic.

Having that big win has seen us drop off in intensity. I think the biggest question mark will be if we can find that enthusiasm and focus again. Sometimes when it goes, it's hard to get back. Good sides like Melbourne always have it because they've worked so hard at it for so long. Our side is relatively new to all this and I imagine it will take some time for this team to become consistent in their mental application.

I totally agree with everything you are saying but I will add...

The reason the line speed and aggression is lacking is because of mental application. You have correctly identified that the offloads are creeping back in etc. We saw none of it against the Sharks because we were mentally focused and enthusiastic.

Having that big win has seen us drop off in intensity. I think the biggest question mark will be if we can find that enthusiasm and focus again. Sometimes when it goes, it's hard to get back. Good sides like Melbourne always have it because they've worked so hard at it for so long. Our side is relatively new to all this and I imagine it will take some time for this team to become consistent in their mental application.
Much easier to remain enthusiastic and focused when feeling fresh,(a fatigued mind and body slips into old comfortable habits easily)it's been a tough 2 months even if there was two byes in this period.

The area Manly are losing is the ground war...many times the Tigers players, particularly the outside backs, were able to play the ball far too quickly....this created the momentum and helped them puff out their chest.
If this area is addressed - Manly win today by 30-40.

Much easier to remain enthusiastic and focused when feeling fresh,(a fatigued mind and body slips into old comfortable habits easily)it's been a tough 2 months even if there was two byes in this period.
spot on and that's what worries me. I'm not sure how much of our lack of enthusiasm is within our control. Will a big opposition be enough to perk us back up or will we flounder under the weight of a gruelling season for a developing side?

The area Manly are losing is the ground war...many times the Tigers players, particularly the outside backs, were able to play the ball far too quickly....this created the momentum and helped them puff out their chest.
If this area is addressed - Manly win today by 30-40.
Getting numbers in tackles increases with good straight line speed and fresh bodies that are able to dance and wrestle in the tackle.

A few times players are peeling off the tackle in the upright position too fast or not focused enough on wrapping up the ball and just wanting to push the player backwards.

Sort of like what happens to people with mental illness?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11