Manly V Storm teams, stats, chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have a good feeling Fro.  Why? Firstly our forwards will stand up and go forward.  Why? They have to, in front of a home crowd, and in the skills department, excepting Smith, we have the edge.  Secondly, in the backs we are better, besides Inglis and Slater.  Choc will run wide and link with Matai for a good go forward.  We will kick long and away from Slater and that seems to stuff his game up and Lyon will snuff out Inglis.  Everyone's favourite, Orford, will put on the scrumbase moves you all say he has, and bingo, a win.     

Ian Martin tragic link said:
But, it was as if having made the big break or created the overlap the players had somehow talked themselves out of the killer blow because stewart wasn't next to them to walk it over the line.

I tend to think it was the opposite, that because Stewart was not there both Lyon & Matai took it on themselves to try and score because the felt they had to step up.

That they both stuffed up may help them more in the coming weeks, hopefully.

hehe clon.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong DSM, my reasoning is that we havent put in a real diabolically crap performance this year, we have competed and played well in patches in pretty much all games.

We are due for a shocker, and Melbourne will be primed for a payback.

DSM5 I think we will lose it by dropped balls, incomplete moves and generally being off of our play.

We have always prided ourselves on consistency and I see no reason that our consistent poor form will miraculously change against the storm.

They will carve us up

Fro.  In my opinion we have put in some diabolical crap performances for a great part of most games.  Namely, the Dogs game and the second half of the Souths game and one other at Brookvale, a Monday night game I seem to recall leaving totally dispirited.  Surely now we are due for a completely good game.  Surely we've gone through our 'shocker' period.  Dan, I think we have been consistently good for between ten and forty minutes in each game so far.  Surely Hasler will have done something about our crap attack and about playing good for the full 80, surely.  If he's done that job, and they all understand it, then there's the win.  Eagles by 14.  All we have to do is really contain their three game winners.  And, the 'Mighty Ox'* will deliver the money balls to all and sundry (on our team) to score the winners.
*yours not mine.   

DSM5 link said:
Fro.  In my opinion we have put in some diabolical crap performances for a great part of most games.  Namely, the Dogs game and the second half of the Souths game and one other at Brookvale, a Monday night game I seem to recall leaving totally dispirited.  Surely now we are due for a completely good game.  Surely we've gone through our 'shocker' period.   Dan, I think we have been consistently good for between ten and forty minutes in each game so far.  Surely Hasler will have done something about our crap attack and about playing good for the full 80, surely.  If he's done that job, and they all understand it, then there's the win.  Eagles by 14.  All we have to do is really contain their three game winners.  And, the 'Mighty Ox'* will deliver the money balls to all and sundry (on our team) to score the winners.
*yours not mine.   

I like the old realistic you DMS5

I will be happy to eat my words but suspect I will go to bed hungry on Friday night

Dan, why do you think the Storms inconsistent poor form suddenly going to change this weekend ?

Personally from what I have seen the past 3 weeks we have played better footy than them

STORM:
1. Grub
2. Turncoat
3. Rugby Star
4. G I Jane
5. NoName
6. Sook
7. Gronk
8. Lama
9. sMyth (c)
10. Queer
11. TwoPoo
12. Crybaby
13. John****
Interchange:
14. Heathcliffe
15. Dross
16. Neville
17. Cat

I hate these pricks. Want a Matai special like last season on sMyth and somebody to hit the giant ego GI with a beauty too

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Dan, why do you think the Storms inconsistent poor form suddenly going to change this weekend ?

Personally from what I have seen the past 3 weeks we have played better footy than them

because when I don't have my maroon glasses on, i can see that playing as we have been we would be flat out beating a NSW Cup Team

LOL Kiwi

Sea Eagles v Storm
Brookvale Oval
Friday 7.35pm

http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=54664

Their positions on the ladder through seven rounds of 2009 might come as a huge surprise but don’t let anyone hoodwink you into thinking this clash will be anything less than a torrid, absorbing, physical and entertaining affair from start to finish.

Three words guarantee it: grand final rematch.

The Manly camp have spent all week bunkered down away from the media focus, while the Storm have been asked the obvious questions aimed at generating headlines like “Revenge” after their 40-nil drubbing last October.

But the truth is, that was then and this is now. And with just five wins between them from a total of 14 games, this clash looms as the acid test for both sides.

Manly’s greatest fear was realised last week: after three losses without star fullback Brett Stewart, then two wins with him contributing five spectacular tries, they crashed back to earth against the Cowboys in the first of 11 more weeks when he won’t be trotting out in their no.1 jersey. Some blow.

They sit in 12th spot on four points with an unimpressive -25 points differential; another loss and their already fragile psyche may shatter. But a win could just be the making of their season.

At least they’ve got some continuity this week, heading in with the same 18 they named for the Cowboys game.

Meanwhile you would have thought Melbourne may have entered this game with a “nothing-to-lose” attitude, having been whipped 40-nil the last time they met. Not so.

Craig Bellamy’s Storm outfit have lacked cohesion over the first two months and ticking their box in the footy tipping comps is no longer a given. They’ve lost their invulnerability at home (losing once and salvaging a lucky competition point from a 90-minute slugfest with the Warriors last week) and are struggling for impact out wide.

For this game, big Joseph Tomane replaces the injured Anthony Quinn on the wing, while Wairangi Koopu starts in the second row replacing the injured Kevin Proctor.

Origin prop Brett White has recovered from his toe injury and is an addition to the bench along with Matt Cross.

Watch out Sea Eagles: If the forwards don’t pull their weight in defence this could be a disaster – Craig Bellamy would have noticed the Sea Eagles’ low tackle effectiveness rate of 85.8 per cent and licked his lips. Meanwhile the Sea Eagles are already struggling for points (just three tries a game, down from more than five a game in 2008) and here come up against the NRL leaders for making effective tackles (91.4 per cent).

Manly also need to be extremely careful with their discipline, even allowing for playing at home with an overwhelming local crowd in support. The Sea Eagles have conceded 54 penalties in defence at an average of 7.7 a game to be the biggest offenders in the comp. By comparison the Storm are almost angelic, giving up just 40. 

Watch out Storm: A lack of penetration in attack must also be starting to eat away at their coach Craig Bellamy. Despite a star-studded backline boasting the likes of Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis the Storm have scored the third-fewest points in the NRL (99). Their average per game is down from 23 points last year to a meagre 14 for the first seven games of 2009.

Much will depend on five-eighth Brett Finch’s ability to give Greg Inglis good ball and quickly – Inglis was able to bust the line out wide against the Warriors last week in Finch’s first outing for his new club, and he’ll be desperate for more.

Down the other end of the park they’ll need to watch Glenn Stewart whose form has been a few rungs above that of some of his team-mates. Last week against the Cowboys he made 12 runs for 86 metres, with two try assists, an offload and a line break. And he made 46 tackles to boot.

In baby brother Brett’s absence he’ll do everything he can to create opportunities, especially inside the Storm 20-metre line where the Melbourne side have conceded 12 of their 17 tries (and nine within 10 metres).

They’ll need to watch Matt Ballin too – hopefully they won’t have forgotten his grand final try from dummy-half.

Where it will be won: Field position. With rain forecast for Sydney in the lead-up to the game it will mean slippery conditions, so field position will be vital.

Both sides have excellent “generals” at halfback, but each will really need to strap on their best kicking boots to give their sides the edge.

Currently there’s not a lot of difference in their kicks to open space – the Storm hold a slight edge 51.2 per cent to 45.3 per cent. But Cronk is largely responsible for giving the Storm a heap more territory off his kicks – the Storm average 204 metres a game compared to the Sea Eagles’ 161 metres. That could put added pressure on Matt Orford – pressure he certainly could do without!

The History: Played 14; Storm 8, Sea Eagles 6. The sides are four games apiece over their past eight clashes. However, at Brookvale Manly hold a 5-2 advantage.

Conclusion: No clear-cut winner here. There really are a few scenarios: 1) On form, the Storm will prove a touch too strong for the premiers who will yet again struggle without Brett Stewart; 2) The Sea Eagles will rally at home, rise to the challenge and play to their potential to win a close game; and 3) The Storm click into gear and embarrass an opponent way down on confidence. You choose.

Match officials: Referees – Shayne Hayne & Tony De Las Heras; Sideline Officials – Russell Turner & Steve Carrall; Video Ref – Bill Harrigan.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live 7.30pm (NSW), delayed 9.30pm (Qld); Fox Sports – Delayed from 9am Saturday.

* Statistics: NRL Stats.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180242.msg220880#msg220880 date=1240984480]

because when I don't have my maroon glasses on, i can see that playing as we have been we would be flat out beating a NSW Cup Team
[/quote]

and how did you rate the Storm against the Tigers and Warriors the past 2 weeks ? They have been as horrible as us, imo much worse actually

but are one step away from clicking, with the personell to do it.

I know you are mr positive mate, but at some stage reality will come a knocking, without the general at the back we are a different team, not for his play, his attack or defense, but mainly for his experience as a fullback and marshalling the troops

I am as confident with this game as I have been with all the others.

There is no real standout team this year, and we have been beaten narrowly in most games while still playing poorly. I dont have any concerns about playing any sides this year, as I am confident that if we turn up and have a dig, we can knock them all over. Melbourne are nowhere near as strong this year as they were last year.

Im tipping Eagles 12 - Storm 4

Here is how we beat the storm.

1.  Kick the ball to Slater aiming about ten to fifteen yards in front of him.  This will make him run to the ball and time the chase so the defence hits Slater just as he takes the ball and smash him.  Do not kick it long it gives him too much room to run.

Also have a straight line and watch for support runners. Be ready to smash them also.

2.  Forget about penalties, we'll lose the count anyway.  News needs Melbourne strong.  So forget about it and smash them a little make them a little nervous about getting the ball.  So what if you flop on them a few times wear and bear it.  It'll pay dividends in the end.

3.  The old run hard and tackle hard is always good.

4.  Straight line, bordering on umbrella, defence jamming in on them when they have the ball and employ a sweeper between the line and the full back about ten to fifteen yards behind the line to pick up any chip kicks and defend if they make a break.  If they spread it wide slide and if they don't compress.  They chip kick at least three times each half if they are not making too much ground.  Be ready use the sweeper.

5.  The fans need to get there and start the chant 40 nil over and over again as they run onto  the field.

6. Attack for the first few sets straight up the middle.  Do NOT kick on the fourth tackle.  Get as much yardage as possible.

7. Esatablishing the middle run.  On about the third set spread it wide a few times later in that tackle count and then contemplate kicking on the fourth tackle after about the fifth or sixth set.  You are becoming too predictable about the attack at the moment everyone knows Ballin or Orford will kick on the 4th tackle in our first couple of sets.  Yawn!

Anyway good luck boys hope you win and win well.

Last 10 Games Head-to-head: Played 10; Manly 5, Melbourne 5

Biggest Head-to-Head Wins
Manly 40 - 0 ANZ Stadium 5/10/2008 (Rd 30)
Melbourne 40 - 10 Olympic Park 6/9/2003 (Rd 26) 

Record Crowd these Clubs (Excludes Finals)
18640 at Brookvale Oval, 26/5/2007 (Rd 11), Manly Won 13 - 12

eagle-rock08 link said:
Here is how we beat the storm.

1.  Kick the ball to Slater aiming about ten to fifteen yards in front of him.  This will make him run to the ball and time the chase so the defence hits Slater just as he takes the ball and smash him.  Do not kick it long it gives him too much room to run.

Also have a straight line and watch for support runners. Be ready to smash them also.

2.  Forget about penalties, we'll lose the count anyway.  News needs Melbourne strong.  So forget about it and smash them a little make them a little nervous about getting the ball.  So what if you flop on them a few times wear and bear it.  It'll pay dividends in the end.

3.  The old run hard and tackle hard is always good.

4.  Straight line, bordering on umbrella, defence jamming in on them when they have the ball and employ a sweeper between the line and the full back about ten to fifteen yards behind the line to pick up any chip kicks and defend if they make a break.  If they spread it wide slide and if they don't compress.  They chip kick at least three times each half if they are not making too much ground.  Be ready use the sweeper.

5.  The fans need to get there and start the chant 40 nil over and over again as they run onto  the field.

6. Attack for the first few sets straight up the middle.  Do NOT kick on the fourth tackle.  Get as much yardage as possible.

7. Esatablishing the middle run.  On about the third set spread it wide a few times later in that tackle count and then contemplate kicking on the fourth tackle after about the fifth or sixth set.  You are becoming too predictable about the attack at the moment everyone knows Ballin or Orford will kick on the 4th tackle in our first couple of sets.  Yawn!

Anyway good luck boys hope you win and win well.

Number 1 should be very easy as long as orfords kicking his long kicks well that night and slater is only standing less than 20 feet away.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8