Game Day: Manly v Storm [Round 24, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Pre Match Thread here

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
20 Brad Parker
04. Moses Suli
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Dylan Walker
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09 Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Jack Gosiewski
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Corey Waddell
16. Morgan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18 Lachlan Croker
19 Tevita Funa
21 Lloyd Perrett

MATCH DAY
Members Appreciation Round

Gates
Ken Arthurson Box Office: 3pm

All Gates and remaining Box Offices: 4pm

NRL Kick-off: 5:30 pm (Fox)

5th :smallredtriangle::happy:

Jorge's Hits
https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1168077693591490561?s=19

Jorge Matai
https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1167707745799114752?s=19

https://twitter.com/FOXNRL/status/1167709394785562625?s=19

Jorge Matai 2
https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1167711656480145408?s=19

Paseka
https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1167712025499193344?s=19

Team Song

Match Highlights 6-36
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBVrn_SGKAOv3yKPi4Oc3-A

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/31/match-highlights-manly-v-storm/

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/tels...und-24/extended-highlight-sea-eagles-v-storm/

Presser
https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2019/round-24/sea-eagles-round-24/

Last edited:
MATCH OFFICIALS:

Ben Cummins
Referee

Adam Gee
Referee

Nick Beashel
Touch Judge

Kasey Badger
Touch Judge

Ben Galea
Video Referee

Steve Chiddy
Senior Review Official

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please DO NOT post any Pre-Game Discussion in this thread UNTIL GAME DAY.

If you have any Pre-Game Day Discussion that you wish to post then post it in the 'PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Manly v Storm [Round 24, 2019]' thread by clicking on the link below:

https://silvertails.net/threads/pre-game-discussion-manly-v-storm-round-24-2019.57538/

Thank-you :)

This is going to be a tough match to win with a couple of players out. The Storm have had an unbelievably good run with injuries this year which has helped them stay clear at the top this season.

I hope the boys rough up sCameron

As currently listed, the Storm are at full strength and will aim to blow the Sea Eagles off the park. Hopefully, the reverse will happen and we have our best 80 minutes performance of the season (thus far).

I don't have a definite feeling about this game. However, I am sure Des will have a suitable game plan in mind. Maximum intensity will be required from the opening whistle and all scoring opportunities need to be taken :nod:

Is it game day?

My brain doesn't want to work it out.

Game is on 12.30am tomorrow, currently 10am now; that's 14.5 hours away (I think)..... *drinks*

14.5 hours < 24 hours

Close enough.

Points for showing working.

Go Manly! Woohoo! No injuries please!

Go Manly !!!

ManlyVsStorm2.jpg

52f9a3c1-62b2-4e46-aca8-ab7192fe2819-original.jpg

In (yet) another anti manly article by Paul Kent he adds this interesting line towards the bottom of his dribble:

The NRL’s concern this summer has to be the improvement in Manly.
The Sea Eagles went from 15th to fifth over a hot summer with not a single recruit to the roster worth bragging about.
They figured out how to defend, though.

Why would that be a concern to the nrl?

Has Kent also been phoned by Bellamy? Some faceless storm bosses? Todd's a known fan of all things Storm, has he contacted Kent and told him to lay off the storm?

Last week Kent was tearing into the storm but this week, without and proof has makes the outrageous claims that Manly are the wrestlers. There should be an investigation. Bu there won't be and Kent will hide behind his pen like the coward he is.

This is why, people, when they write a decent column, don't think the Manly bashing has stopped.

Poor Paul Parra Poopy Pants Kent is just another monkey typist pushing an outdated agenda.

In (yet) another anti manly article by Paul Kent he adds this interesting line towards the bottom of his dribble:

The NRL’s concern this summer has to be the improvement in Manly.
The Sea Eagles went from 15th to fifth over a hot summer with not a single recruit to the roster worth bragging about.
They figured out how to defend, though.

Why would that be a concern to the nrl?
Can you please post the 2 articles on manly from the DT website:) much appreciated especially on gameday! One is called.. Fired up manly fear NO ONE! I think this is something we all like to hear

Manly declare no team in the NRL ahead of blockbuster showdown with Melbourne
AAP
August 29, 2019

Manly will take a no-holds-barred approach into their grudge match with Melbourne after having already proved they fear no team in the NRL. Saturday’s clash between the old rivals has been one of the most hyped of the season, with continued references to the 2011 brawl at Brookvale in the lead up. Regular frontrunners at the top of the ladder together for five seasons between 2007 and 2012, Manly’s new breed are already starting to show the characteristic of the Sea Eagles of old.

They have already beaten Melbourne and Canberra on the road as well as South Sydney at home.

16f1af4da9ca0ad026d7080f138d0885

Manly have a terrific record against the top sides. Photo by Matt King/Getty Images.

They have a 5-2 record against the breakaway group of fellow top-six teams, a mark only matched by the Sydney Roosters within those sides. “The fact we’re knocking off the top teams is the most impressive part,” captain Daly Cherry-Evans said “We’ve been chasing those top-four teams all year. We’ve all spoke about the big run we’ve got home and the ability to test ourselves as a side. “We’ve got belief no matter who we play against.

“They’ve been at the top of the ladder all year but we’re looking forward to the challenge of playing them. It’s nice to test yourself against the best.” Manly’s finish to the season will challenge that record, with matches against their two rivals in Melbourne and Parramatta.

But it’s Saturday’s that is attracting the most interest with the club still hopeful of their first sell out in five years.

Ill-feelings between Manly and Melbourne spilt over as recently as last year, when Storm centre Curtis Scott was sent off for punching and breaking Dylan Walker’s eye socket.

Going further back, the famous 2011 Battle of Brookvale was coach Des Hasler’s last game in charge at the ground until he returned this season. And while he said there was now no animosity between the two sides, the rivalry still existed.

“I think there are always competitive contingencies about it,” Hasler said. “I wouldn’t call it animosity. It’s one side wanting to beat the other. You can call it what you want but there is certainly that competitiveness there. “It’s good for rugby league. That was eight years ago and it’s become ingrained in NRL folklore.

“There have been many games and many rivalries. But that’s what you want in rugby league, that rusted on feeling. That’s what the fans get passionate about.” Meanwhile Manly received a boost on Friday, with centre Moses Suli set to overcome an ankle injury and play in the match.

@Bring back the.... Biff?

Sea Eagles working to fix their questionable record in night matches
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
August 29, 2019

They are are the Sea Eagles who can’t fly at night.

On the eve of Saturday evening’s Battle of Brookvale II, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Manly’s concerning night plight which was described by a leading Australian sports psychologist as “unusual”.

Over the past five years, Manly have won just 27 of 72 night games. That’s a modest success rate of 37.5 per cent.

Conversely, the Sea Eagles have won 27 from 47 day matches – a winning strike rate of almost 60 per cent.

And with sunset due at 5.33pm Saturday - right on kick-off - Manly face another match under flood lights.

This year, Manly have just five wins from 11 games contested in the evening. Their horrible night record stretches back to 2016 – five wins from 19 games – and 2015 – six wins from 18 games.

In that time, Manly have lost night matches at Lottoland, Albury, Campbelltown, Canberra, Leichhardt, Auckland, Parramatta, Penrith, Robina, Shark Park, Suncorp, Townsville and Wollongong.

Friday evening match against Melbourne will be another test to see whether Sea Eagles can take flight at night.

“The only thing I can think of is that the routines would be different,” said doctor Phil Jauncey, “When a team is playing during the day time, players don’t have a lot of time to worry about anything.

“I know being with teams at night, you have the captain’s run and then you have all that afternoon and evening off and then all the next day. It seems to take forever for kick-off.

“It’s almost a day and a half before you play. They are really just killing time. When you have an afternoon game, it’s only one day.

“My guess – and it is purely a guess because it is unusual - is that the players aren’t filling in their afternoon time well. Maybe they are filling it in using up too much mental energy, just thinking.

“If you have worries then you have more time to worry about what could go wrong.”

Manly players this week spoke about the significant challenge Melbourne will be present at Brookvale Oval.

Showing Manly’s simple yet effective approach to footy this season, centre Brendan Elliot said: “We’re just trying to put in a good performance each week, no matter who the team is in front of us.

“Leading into the finals, at the back-end of the season, we want to play well. There is definitely something building here.

“With Des (Hasler, coach) coming back to the club, I feel he has brought so much passion and so much belief. With this being my first year here, I feel there is really something awesome building here.”

Sea Eagles forward Curtis Sironen’s return from injury offsets the loss of Joel Thompson, out for four-to-six weeks with a broken arm.

“I was probably touch and go last week but I was being pretty cautious at this time of the year,” Sironen said. “I’ve been champing at the bit watching, I’m feeling good, ready to go.”

Provided the weather is kind, Manly is hoping for a crowd of around 15,000 to 16,000 for the big game.

FMD we're playing Melbourne, a wrestling team who occasionally let football creep into their game and this is what the DT come up with...

025dc12c9d6a3bf3b856235e2af96219

The Sea Eagles’ wrestling tactics are strong. Picture: Joel Carrett

With the finals approaching though a new Wrestlemania champion has emerged, and it is a warning shot for the game.

“Everybody throws stones at Melbourne,” Gorden Tallis said Thursday night on the Late Show with Matty Johns, “but I think Manly last week are the best wrestling team, to a point where they are just happy to make it messy and give away penalties.”

Tallis was spot on. "

Cmon Silvertails
Let’s fill the ground to capacity and be relentlessly loud

Think it will be played tight in the middle and hard and Des will be talking about being hard and tough and winning the middle

My fear is that some of our boys might fire up too much and lose discipline

A win here will be one for the ages

I would be just as happy with a sell out headline as the win headline

Let everyone know we are really back and hungry for another dominance era

Pack the joint people

Go manly
Go manly
Go manly

FMD we're playing Melbourne, a wrestling team who occasionally let football creep into their game and this is what the DT come up with...

025dc12c9d6a3bf3b856235e2af96219

The Sea Eagles’ wrestling tactics are strong. Picture: Joel Carrett

With the finals approaching though a new Wrestlemania champion has emerged, and it is a warning shot for the game.

“Everybody throws stones at Melbourne,” Gorden Tallis said Thursday night on the Late Show with Matty Johns, “but I think Manly last week are the best wrestling team, to a point where they are just happy to make it messy and give away penalties.”

Tallis was spot on. "
Pretty sure most of our penalties were for offside, 1 for obstruction by Joel , and 1 was for kicking out on the full from the restart :cool:

Manly must be the Jedi Masters of implicit wrestling

giphy.gif

Klein's HT Penalty Stats

PENALTY - DANGEROUS TACKLE :swear:
Daly Cherry-Evans

PENALTY - CROWDING :swear:
Addin Fonua-Blake

PENALTY - SCRUM INFRINGEMENT :swear:
Apisai Koroisau

PENALTY - OFFSIDE INSIDE 10M
Addin Fonua-Blake

PENALTY - OBSTRUCTION
Joel Thompson

PENALTIES - OTHER :swear:
Reuben Garrick

Corey Waddell

Manase Fainu

Dylan Walker

Last edited:
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, ...

Never surrender Manly

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8