Manly v Penriff [Round 25 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Something I learnt -

Even if the game is on ch 9 at 4pm.....a lot of you watch it live and so I should not go into this thread......spoilers galore!

I like hiku, I really do....so I hope he works on his defence over the off season.

Go Manly!

Hopefully someone who was at the game tells us if kingy did a lap etc.

And lol@rabs claiming that as commentators, they remain unbiased (said about 20mins first half)

Wow! I saw a high quality game, manly never gave up and were sharp all day, even when behind. We gave them 12 points and still won.

Scanning back through the comments.. I see plenty of doom and gloom. I have been absent from the site for a couple of days and I must say i feel less negative about our season for it.

Lighten up guys and gals, some comments on here make it sound like we will be lucky to avoid the spoon!

well done crowd! 18,654!!

Looked fantastic on tv! (take note smith and grogberg)

Showed the "guess what manly hates you too" flag on tv

And hopefully the guy who kept giving the bird to fittler posts on here too!

Matai, on the farewell lap for Kingy, stood in front of the sign and threw his hand up in a Conductor's motion to get the Fans to yell Maanly, Maanly once more :D

Matty came out to cheer Kingy, he had an icepack down the side of his right shin/knee.

Hopefully Buhrer's is also just a bad cork :angel:

Everyone was sad when Goldie announced that Gifty couldn't make it :(
The day was a celebration of his and Kingy's great Manly career.
Too bad that he couldn't schedule his surgery 7 days later :-/

HappilyManly said:
You don't think he's racing the clock to be fit for the GF?
(I don't believe in miracles but on the other hand I've seen plenty of smokescreens in my time.)

HappilyManly said:
Matai, on the farewell lap for Kingy, stood in front of the sign and threw his hand up in a Conductor's motion to get the Fans to yell Maanly, Maanly once more :D

Matty came out to cheer Kingy, he had an icepack down the side of his right shin/knee.

Hopefully Buhrer's is also just a bad cork :angel:

Everyone was sad when Goldie announced that Gifty couldn't make it :(
The day was a celebration of his and Kingy's great Manly career.
Thanks for that. Good to get an idea of what it was like at the ground and sounds like team morale is still good going into the semis. (despite what Rothfield says every week). On top of the ladder with a week to go, can all posters pledge to keep it positive for at least one week. Our roster isn't that of millionaires anymore and the guys have in my opinion already overachieved. Be proud of who you support.

I think they get on just fine on the field ... and that's all that matters.

Yes it was disappointing that gift wasn't there. I don't know how involved his surgery was but it's a bit of a let down that he couldn't make some sort of effort to be there and give the fans a chance to say thanks for a fantastic career.

Chip and Chase said:
Yes it was disappointing that gift wasn't there. I don't know how involved his surgery was but it's a bit of a let down that he couldn't make some sort of effort to be there and give the fans a chance to say thanks for a fantastic career.

He had surgery on Thursday, he could still be in hospital. No surprise he couldn't come along.

The Manly Media Machine was out in force, so keep an eye out on the www.seaeagles.com.au website for lots of goodies.

1) Tribute package to Kingy, another for Gifty
2) Team photo of Kingy + Family
3) Lots of photos on the oval lap with all the Players
4) Cheergirsl and Cheerboys (yes we have them too sometimes) group photos
5) Photoshoped or not :p
[attachment=867] [attachment=868]

Brookie was full of old Players. Mark Bryant and Josh Perry are employed there in some capacity. Spud and JoeG were in the crowd as well as the INXS guy with Layne Beachly.

Hope the replay broadcast the deafening Maaaaanly, at the end too. :D

It was a perfect day of footy and hopefully the Players have now got all their crossfield runing, dropped ball handling, bad pass throwing and offload allowing plays :angel:

Law of Averages dictates that Manly can't continue to play like the Under 7's.
The trylines are north to south direction Boys :p

Count the errors in this article from NRL>COM
http://www.nrl.com/manly-conjure-a-brookvale-miracle/tabid/10874/newsid/81446/default.aspx

A hugely impressive and injury-ravaged Panthers outfit has come to Brookvale and almost spoiled milestone games for a pair of Manly veterans, before a throbbing capacity crowd erupted as a last-minute try earned the Sea Eagles an unlikely 26-25 win.

WATCH: Tom Symonds completes a miracle Manly comeback
WATCH: Full Sea Eagles v Panthers highlights
As it happened: Relive our live match blog
Match stats, scores and video
Buhrer injury threatens to sour stunning win

On a perfect Sunday afternoon, a hugely parochial crowd of 18,654 was on hand to witness Manly's most underwhelming 40 minutes of football since their Round 5 capitulation at Leichhardt as an avalanche of errors and penalties allowed Penrith's thrown-together and patched up squad to go to the break up 16-6.

But, in what was a frantic and end-to-end 80 minutes of rugby league, a Manly side that has repeatedly shown a complete refusal to go away somehow stayed in the contest and scored two tries in the final three minutes to break Penrith hearts. It gave retiring veteran Jason King a magical finish to his last game at Brookvale Oval and long-serving centre Steve Matai a victory in his 200th NRL game.

The win kept Manly in with a hope of earning the minor premiership and denied Penrith a guaranteed top-four finish, but it may have come at a cost with Matai on report, hooker Matt Ballin and back-up dummy half Jamie Buhrer both succumbing to injuries – with fears Buhrer may have suffered a season-ending ACL injury.

Penrith raced out of the blocks early with the help of some early penalties in a passage of play that set the tone for a frantic and at times panicked-looking first half from both sides that nevertheless proved highly entertaining despite the high error and penalty count.

In just the third set of the game – Penrith's second use of the football – Anthony Watmough was penalised for a push in the tackle before Tom Symonds was pinged for being too slow in the play the ball a few plays later.

With the visitors enjoying a full set at Manly's line, an offload in front of the posts from Kiwi Test prop Sam McKendry went back to impressive young hooker Kierran Mosely. Mosely's pass found a charging Nigel Plum who burst through to be the afternoon's unlikely first try-scorer with his first try of 2014 in his 20th appearance.

Some great defence from young five-eighth Will Smith helped shut down Manly's first attacking raid when he pressured Stewart to throw a pass into touch, before another brace of penalties handed Penrith a golden chance to extend their lead.

A nice pass out to the left from Smith and a brilliant tap-on from Matt Moylan to Dean Whare led to Josh Mansour barrelling through Peta Hiku out wide.

Again it was a quick brace of penalties that led to points shortly thereafter, with the Sea Eagles making their best attacking opportunity of the game count when Kieran Foran helped Jamie Buhrer through a hole on a run to the line to close the gap to 10-6.

Manly continued to hand Penrith opportunities through dropped balls but the visitors were almost as profligate, particularly winger Mansour who twice lost it trying to play the ball too quickly.

Despite that the Panthers were next to score and it came on the back of a superb dummy and run out of acting half from the debutant Mosely, who raced downfield to put Manly on the back foot.

Although that set finished with Manly working it off their own tryline, an uncharacteristic no-look offload from Manly skipper Jamie Lyon in the face of some determined Penrith defence popped up perfectly for Idris who couldn't believe his luck as he made the short run to the line.

That break in play earned Mosely his first breather of the game and Penrith immediately paid the price when, from the first tackle after the resumption, acting half Lewis Brown threw it forward from dummy half.

Again Manly handed it straight back via a loose Daly Cherry-Evans pass and both sides continued to hand the ball over, often early in the count, as the error count surged.

Penrith dodged a bullet in the 33rd minute when the video ref found an obstruction from Steve Matai in the lead-up to a possible Taufua try.

Matai was placed on report shortly after for a shoulder charge on Watene-Zelezniak – which came as the winger threw a forward pass having made a line break off a rushed Stewart kick, which itself came after he got into space from a Foran chip in an action-packed play that pretty much summed up the frantic half.

When an unlikely Soward attempted field goal after the half time siren sailed wide it gave both sets of players, coaches and the crowd a rare chance to catch their collective breath.

The visitors extended their lead early in the second half when Lyon threw his second intercept pass of the match, allow Soward to race 70 metres and shoot Penrith out to a 22-6 lead.

With the match returning to a semblance of normalcy and the frantic pace dying down, Manly began to win the arm wrestle and it paid off with a try to Tom Symonds when weight of possession began to count against the Panthers.

A Soward penalty goal shortly after restored Penrith's advantage to 12 points before some Brett Stewart magic put the Prince of Brookvale in open space, finding James Hasson in support to close the gap to six with just over 15 minutes remaining.

With Penrith almost out on their feet, another cold-as-ice field goal from impressive fullback Matt Moylan made it a seven-point lead with eight minutes to play.

With Manly needing to score twice in the final three minutes, King jumped on a prone Idris after Idris had pounced on a Foran grubber, and knocked the ball loose.

Manly immediately made Penrith pay when some more Stewart magic put Lyon over in the corner, leaving Penrith with a tricky two minutes to hold on to a three-point lead.

It turned out the visitors' lead wasn't enough as a Foran half break from the kick-off scattered the Penrith line before a series of passes and offloads led to what felt like an almost inevitable try, the shattered and exhausted Panthers unable to stop Tom Symonds crossing in the corner to steal the game with a last-minute match-winner.

Did anyone see what happened in the North Eastern corner in the lap after the game? Someone (a Manly member) had some words to DCE, the way tough guys usually do - behind a fence and after he had gone past. Whatever it was It was enough for DCE to stop turn around and offer to have a discussion near the change rooms (can't confirm exact words but the finger pointing and facial expression doesn't usually mean 'thanks mate, let's grab a beer').

In the end Snake and Choc coaxed him away, but the question is

What was said?

Someone should introduce that NRL reporter to the use and application of a full stop in sentences and paragraphs. I got to the end of some sentences and has lost track of what they were about.

profligate? What? Why use a word like that on a rugby league fans site? What does it even mean? Anyone?

"before some Brett Stewart magic put the Prince of Brookvale in open space" What? Are there 2 Snakes at Manly now? Wow!

You can tell most of it was written up by the end of halftime. Must have filed the last few paragraphs and bolted for the carpark.

Plus it is full of factual errors and anti manly stuff.

Shoe1 said:
Chip and Chase said:

He had surgery on Thursday, he could still be in hospital. No surprise he couldn't come along.

Like I said, I don't know what surgery he had, but I sincerely doubt he is still in hospital. These days you are out on the street a day after full reconstructions. Fair enough if he has had medical advice to stay off it, but it was a bit of a let down that's all. Would have loved to see him do a lap (even if in a wheelchair), just to give him one last cheer and round of applause. He has earned it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10