Manly v Parramatta [Round 17 2013] Game day thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Prior to this match I read posters saying that they would rather we scored more points and let more points in than the dog-fight style we were playing.
That's what happened last night.
Our attack was sharp, direct and lethal. Our defense was not as tight as it can be, but isn't that what some of you wanted; winning in a high scoring match?
Foran gave the team the energy and directness we had been lacking. It was a very pleasing performance.

Honestly the team were on a hiding to nothing with most on here (not all...)

Win well....it's only parra
Win ugly...Tooves needs to go / promote / change things
Lose...well that would have been interesting

Now we are heaping expectation on a team which could be missing 7 first graders next week (Kingy, Joe, Choc, DCE, Tom S, George R, Richie F, maybe Glenn S)

The Who said:
Prior to this match I read posters saying that they would rather we scored more points and let more points in than the dog-fight style we were playing.
That's what happened last night.
Our attack was sharp, direct and lethal. Our defense was not as tight as it can be, but isn't that what some of you wanted; winning in a high scoring match?
Foran gave the team the energy and directness we had been lacking. It was a very pleasing performance.

imagine if we didn't bomb those three or four trys. Wolf into touch, obstruction, knock on in goal -foz? plus maybe one other.

lsz said:

Now we are heaping expectation on a team which could be missing 7 first graders next week (Kingy, Joe, Choc, DCE, Tom S, George R, Richie F, maybe Glenn S)

Richie Fa'aoso is back next week. His suspension is finished now.

Nice to get someone back - fingers crossed Donny has been keeping him fit

Fair comments, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I suppose I was just trying to point out that Parra are hardly the yardstick and there were still passages of play last night that were sloppy and lacked direction. Has been our problem for the last 4 or 5 weeks, where we switch off and go into this error laden, penalty giving phase that changes the hard won momentum of the game. There weren't too many penalties last night, which was pleasing, but we still looked a little sleepy either side of halftime.

One thing that was obvious last night was it's amazing what is possible (from any side in the NRL to be honest) when you dominate the ruck and get the speed of the play the ball up. Impossible to hold out most attacks on that basis.

Should be grateful for the win, because they have been few and far between lately. Could have done without the injuries though.

T'was a good performance but I agree it was Parramatta and without Hayne. Personally I still think their attack is too predictable and we need someone at dummy half running a lot more. But what was also noticeable was the energy of the team as a whole and of DCE and Foran in particular. Those two went full pace almost the entire game and the speed of their play helped open the opportunities for B. Stewart, Lyon, Matai, Williams and Taufua. Was no coincidence that Williams and Taufua played so well. They were given more room and quicker service.

Of course the foundation was a much better forward performance especially from Lawrence, Rose and Buhrer. Watmough is just Watmough and we get used to his menacing style. G.Stewart improved and Moro and Symonds did their job. And Balin was getting quick service away. But I thought Rose, Lawrence and Buhrer had their best games for quite a while.

Not sure that they would be given anywhere near the latitude by the top three sides. But it was second gear after being in first gear so long. I think with the injuries they have to G. Stewart, Symonds and loss of Watmough to the SOO, I think introducing Chee-Kam to add another dimension to their attack at this time would be a good move. Bring Foran into half, Lyon 5/8, Taufua centre and Hiku wing, for DCE's absence.

the Eels missed 80 tackles. The cowboys wont, in fact without Thurston, their defence will be better than usual.

Beating them up there simply wont be easy like many are predicting.The pinkies will make it their mission to get the cows home as usual.

But you cant underestimate what scoring a few points does for a side who has been struggling,even if it was against a rabble.The positives far out weighed the negatives last night.

lsz said:

Spot on Isz.

It's funny how the Chooks were considered "ruthless" in their beating of the Dragons who aren't much better than Parra.
Souths only got over the Warriors after they once again found their self destruct button.

We had the game won inside 20mins ffs, won by 40 and left a few more points out there.

Some people on here would still find fault if was 70 - 10 and maintain that Snake, Glenn and Wolf are passed it, Lyon can't kick goals, DCE is average and Tooves can't coach.

The boys really looked like they were having fun which is half the battle and a game like that is just what was needed at just the right time.

Us and the Storm have been the benchmark for the past 6-7 years so every team tries to step up a notch or two.

The Chooks and the Bunnies are trying to earn that right.

Maintain the faith people, make the top 4 and it's game on.

Bearfax said:
. . . But what was also noticeable was the energy of the team as a whole and of DCE and Foran in particular. . .
Watching at the ground I thought the same thing. I'd add Ballin to that list, he seemed very energetic in attack all night. And Wolfman Williams too -his energy to fight his way over for the first try, and his general play, was probably infectious for the whole team.

StuBoot said:
. . . The boys really looked like they were having fun which is half the battle and a game like that is just what was needed at just the right time. . .
I agree with this too. To me this is a great sign.

The boys did what they needed to do, albeit against a weaker opposition. What was noticeable was how much easier it was to get outside the Parramatta defense than the better sides.

Still a wins as win and the boys will get some confidence from it.

On a separate note, it was great atmosphere and good to meet some of the posters here.

Dan said:
Im that nervouse that I just had a glass of cask wine...a sip from the moose sack right @globaleagle

lol, we'll there's nothing better to be sure!

So, as you champs know I get the games later over here which is why I sometimes disappear from the forum to avoid reading the score (and you all get a break from moi.)

Being the cool dude I am, I was at Whistler resort over the last 10 days.

Walked into a coffee shop wearing my Manly polo the morning after the game (I hadn't seen it as it hadn't been broadcast in Canada yet.)

The guy behind the counter, let's call him silly git (sg) for short. Nice enough though (in case he reads this).

sg: "Oh you're just wearing that shirt because of last night's game.
ge: "Well, I haven't seen it yet and have it recorded but thanks for letting me know who won. Now don't tell me anymore about the game please."

sg: *stares blankly*
ge: *sees the vacuous stare so decides to order coffee*

sg: *hands me coffee* "Well enjoy the game when you see it, and there's lots and lots of tries."
ge: *face goes red like in the old time cartoons* "So me asking you not to tell me anymore about the game means you now tell me more about the game?! Don't you work on tips?"

sg: *stares again and blinks slowly like the 3 eyed fish from the simpsons.*

ge: "Let me guess, you're a souths or st george supporter?"
sg: "St George! How did you know?"

ge: *leaves store*

Long winded I know but in effect this guy ruined the result for me, and when I asked him not to talk about it anymore, he then proceeds to tell me it was a high scoring game. Fair enough he blurted the first bit out (should not have worn the polo I guess) but the second bit??

It's a long standing personal hate of mine that human nature just can't shut up about sporting results. If you're lucky enough to get them not to tell you the score, they want to tell you about the game....which is just as bad.

Saying "Oh I won't tell you the score but it's a real nail biter." is just as stupid, because if it's 30-0 at halftime you know the other team is going to mount a comeback.

Dear world, if I ask you not to say anything about the game then stfu already. I'm not interested in your precis.

THAT SAID:

It was good to get a thumping under our belt. I think we all needed it after the last 8 weeks or so, and I still watched the game (obv).

My fingers are tired!

@globaleagle this is a pet hate of mine too. Couple of weeks back I was stuck at a trivia night and the mc gratuitously started throwing in score updates from the big game. WTF? Also during Nein's Sunday telecast Gould always throws in a reference to the result of the earlier (Fox) game - probably under orders, to diminish the value of the Fox match for those who recorded it to watch later. Ruins it so much that I never watch the Nein one now, rather just wait till its replayed on Fox so at least I have the choice of watching the earlier one 1st (also means I can see it without the ad breaks and ff through half time).

SeaEagleRock8 said:
@globaleagle this is a pet hate of mine too. Couple of weeks back I was stuck at a trivia night and the mc gratuitously started throwing in score updates from the big game. WTF? Also during Nein's Sunday telecast Gould always throws in a reference to the result of the earlier (Fox) game - probably under orders, to diminish the value of the Fox match for those who recorded it to watch later. Ruins it so much that I never watch the Nein one now, rather just wait till its replayed on Fox so at least I have the choice of watching the earlier one 1st (also means I can see it without the ad breaks and ff through half time).

As long as we realise, people are idiots and prepare accordingly. But geez do they outnumber us!

globaleagle said:
Dan said:
Im that nervouse that I just had a glass of cask wine...a sip from the moose sack right @globaleagle

lol, we'll there's nothing better to be sure!

So, as you champs know I get the games later over here which is why I sometimes disappear from the forum to avoid reading the score (and you all get a break from moi.)

Being the cool dude I am, I was at Whistler resort over the last 10 days.

Walked into a coffee shop wearing my Manly polo the morning after the game (I hadn't seen it as it hadn't been broadcast in Canada yet.)

The guy behind the counter, let's call him silly git (sg) for short. Nice enough though (in case he reads this).

sg: "Oh you're just wearing that shirt because of last night's game.
ge: "Well, I haven't seen it yet and have it recorded but thanks for letting me know who won. Now don't tell me anymore about the game please."

sg: *stares blankly*
ge: *sees the vacuous stare so decides to order coffee*

sg: *hands me coffee* "Well enjoy the game when you see it, and there's lots and lots of tries."
ge: *face goes red like in the old time cartoons* "So me asking you not to tell me anymore about the game means you now tell me more about the game?! Don't you work on tips?"

sg: *stares again and blinks slowly like the 3 eyed fish from the simpsons.*

ge: "Let me guess, you're a souths or st george supporter?"
sg: "St George! How did you know?"

ge: *leaves store*

Long winded I know but in effect this guy ruined the result for me, and when I asked him not to talk about it anymore, he then proceeds to tell me it was a high scoring game. Fair enough he blurted the first bit out (should not have worn the polo I guess) but the second bit??

It's a long standing personal hate of mine that human nature just can't shut up about sporting results. If you're lucky enough to get them not to tell you the score, they want to tell you about the game....which is just as bad.

Saying "Oh I won't tell you the score but it's a real nail biter." is just as stupid, because if it's 30-0 at halftime you know the other team is going to mount a comeback.

Dear world, if I ask you not to say anything about the game then stfu already. I'm not interested in your precis.

THAT SAID:

It was good to get a thumping under our belt. I think we all needed it after the last 8 weeks or so, and I still watched the game (obv).

My fingers are tired!

So the moral of the story is to not wear your Manly polo the morning after the game until you've actually watched the game :)

It was an awesome win, Manly who were out of form and missing Jason King, Joe Galuvao, Richie F'a'oso, And without Gift, Rose and Symonds for the last quarter leaving no interchanges Won by 40 points. As bad as Parra are/were we didn't fail to put up a massive score even with all thos injuries and set backs.

Jethro said:
So the moral of the story is to not wear your Manly polo the morning after the game until you've actually watched the game :)

Or stop Aussies coming to Canada!!

Gotta wear something 'Manly' otherwise one would feel naked!

But agreed, as I said in the post - should not have worn it. Sometimes though it becomes second nature.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4