Manly v Eels [Round 24 2014]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mickqld said:
To quote Wayne Bennett. We are very predictable.

Would like to be less predictable. Though the chip from Foran to Stewart, five minutes from half time was too fancy. (if it comes off, however I am the first one to say how good it is we back ourselves)

I am glad about one thing.....that Nein didn't show too much of Tooves in the coaches box. Wouldn't have been fun seeing his head explode in frustration after that effort.

If Des tore a door off at Parramatta Stadium, Tooves will call in an air strike and have the RAAF bomb the place to oblivion.

This season isn't over for us, far from it, but damn do we need to come out with a better attitude at Brooky next week than the one we showed in the second half tonight.

Not happy with Choc losing the ball at crucial times (again) and then gets up smiling. Fair dinkum!

Then there's King on report, so no doubt we'll lose him (again)... just great! Sounds like we won't have BJ and Horo either. Hope Lui and maybe Glenn are back next week as we'll sure need them.

Red Pill said:
Really ref decided the GF not the mental toughness of our players let alone captain!

Yeah, clearly the ref's had the greatest impact, but once things started getting away, they didn't have what it took to turn it around.

I may cop a shellacking for even suggesting this, and I loathe the bloke because he's one of the worst grubs in the game, but when it comes to refocusing a team, Cam Smith seems to do it better.

*enters block stance*

Geez, can't believe the negativity. We took the foot off the gas in the second half, thinking we could cruise to a win and we paid the price.

Our blokes will be up for the full 80 in all semis... And when our foot is on the gas, we have a habit of winning.

As always over the last 10 years, I believe the only thing stopping us from taking another title would be a spate of injuries and suspensions.

Have faith, Manly faithful.

Aussie Battler said:
Bandit said:
That was embarasing and disgusting.
22 to nil in the 2nd half - should have been 28 nil.

Parra just outenthused Manly bigtime. All the other clubs are pushing our small, pissweak forwards around now - not just the huge packs.

Absolute truth in the "disunity" accusations, as distinct lack of enthusiasm and "mongrel" are classic symptoms of this.

Our backline is so bloody slow and this is a recipe for disaster, as our non existant "kick-chase" efforts, again an indication of just no commitment or dedication, means every other team (who are all much faster than our blokes), will continue to run in 90 metre tries against us.

Piss weak, no balls, laughable performance (2 or 3 players excepted - maybe).

I've had enough of this lot & will confidently wager against Manly for the rest of this year. I know we will not win another game.

Someone at the top needs to be strong & sack all the old deadwood.

Bring on 2015.

Not sure if you are fair dinkum "bandit" , but if so it might be time "to leave the building". Would not want to be in the trenches with you. Top eight spot guaranteed (top four likely) and you dish out this dribble. If you've had enough, save us the trouble and move on. Raiders, Sharks, Tigers etc are always looking for new fans !!!

I'll be Manly till I die.

That was ... piss weak tonight.
If I was the coach, I'd let them know that wasn't good enough.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Won't surprise me if this turns out to be our last loss for 2014.
Good, all going to plan. Losing a couple of high quality matches at this stage will do us more good than harm, some fans may have forgotten this is a close comp but I think we are well-placed.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Won't surprise me if this turns out to be our last loss for 2014.
Good, all going to plan. Losing a couple of high quality matches at this stage will do us more good than harm, some fans may have forgotten this is a close comp but I think we are well-placed.

I tend to agree with this line of thought.... In this case however the nature of this loss, dare I call it a capitulation, to the EELS, is what really stings.

Something else that's been touched on was Snake's attitude tonight.... He's generally fairly reserved, but there was at least one occasion where he was screeching at one of the referees (we'd just been penalised for dragging a player into touch after the "held" call) and for what it's worth that seems waaaaay out of character for Snake.

Aussie Battler said:
HoldenV8 said:
The worrying part is that our defence fell apart in the second half. I won't say we were out-muscled, but errors definitely cost us.

And our million dollar backline has all the class in the world.....but no speed. Almost every other team in the NRL would have had Semi tackled before he hit the halfway.....we let him run 95m to score.

Did Parramatta win or did we lose?

Looked bad because both tackles before the try Stewart was the guy tackled. If up on his feet anywhere on the ground he gets him. That said, we seem to have a few of those flukey tries against us. Can remember Stapleton (sharks) scoring one, and Jennings nearly every time he plays us. I say save all the disappointment, grief etc until we get bundled out. Lots of people on this thread seem to think its week one of the semis, so keep on keeping your expectations low and you may be surprised.

There was nothing flukey about that try. You could see our backs came inside too much perhaps expecting a narrower kick. It didn't come and went wider where we only had Hiku in defense, essentially. Soon as his tackle was broken there was trouble. I could see that try unfolding as soon as I worked out the area where the bomb was landing. Bad communication or bad execution, I don't know?

ALinda said:
Not happy with Choc losing the ball at crucial times (again) and then gets up smiling. Fair dinkum!

Then there's King on report, so no doubt we'll lose him (again)... just great! Sounds like we won't have BJ and Horo either. Hope Lui and maybe Glenn are back next week as we'll sure need them.

Choc is an interesting one. Appears to put his heart and soul in, but screws up at crucial times that are costly to the team. People say but he bleeds for this team. Many may not like to hear this but I'm gonna say it. Choc does not bleed for this team, specifically. Choc bleeds for his performance bcos that's just how he is, he will do the same whatever team he plays on because it's just how he is driven.

Agreed. I think the kick from Foz went wider than he intended. As soon as I saw Semi catch it and start to go my first thought was "Oh oh..." Next thing I did was look to see where Snake was and when he was nowhere to be seen, that was it, I knew he'd score.

Still, it was pleasing to at least see Jorge put in a big effort to try and get him.

silvertail said:
Geez, can't believe the negativity. We took the foot off the gas in the second half, thinking we could cruise to a win and we paid the price.

Our blokes will be up for the full 80 in all semis... And when our foot is on the gas, we have a habit of winning.

As always over the last 10 years, I believe the only thing stopping us from taking another title would be a spate of injuries and suspensions.

Have faith, Manly faithful.

As my great grandmother used to say, "keep spitting in one hand and wishing in the other and see which fills up first".

Let me start to address some of the myths and cliches you offer. "We took the foot off the gas in the second half"... Oh really? And we just never saw that coming nor even bothered to address it even though it was happening? But, we will magically change that in the semis as if it is some conscious decision we made. Lol

Look, we may still possibly improve and even win the premiership, but to suggest we are somehow playing and losing this way as part of our bigger plan is ridiculous. We will be very lucky to turn this around and win it from here. Nevertheless, I also believe we are capable of doing so.

HoldenV8 said:
Agreed. I think the kick from Foz went wider than he intended. As soon as I saw Semi catch it and start to go my first thought was "Oh oh..." Next thing I did was look to see where Snake was and when he was nowhere to be seen, that was it, I knew he'd score.

Still, it was pleasing to at least see Jorge put in a big effort to try and get him.

Yes, I agree it needs to be acknowledged that Jorge didn't give up and that was a pleasing positive aspect. Well done, Jorge.

Snake said:
Seeing Snake getting upset and showing some passion is hardly a cause for concern.

Seeing him express that was neither telling here nor there, BUT seeing his performance was telling. That was a poor game from snake and he's had a few of these this year to mix in with his stellar ones. What to make of that, is up to you. I think it's probably a fair reflection of the internal struggle between his desire and pride to perform as a professional and his emotional struggle with changes he doesn't like.

HK_Eagle said:
Seeing him express that was neither telling here nor there, BUT seeing his performance was telling. That was a poor game from snake and he's had a few of these this year to mix in with his stellar ones. What to make of that, is up to you. I think it's probably a fair reflection of the internal struggle between his desire and pride to perform as a professional and his emotional struggle with changes he doesn't like.

He had a fine game; he dropped a bomb and that was the only mistake he made all night. He cleaned up some other very difficult kicks, set up the first try, and had a real dig.

Snake said:
HK_Eagle said:

He had a fine game; he dropped a bomb and that was the only mistake he made all night. He cleaned up some other very difficult kicks, set up the first try, and had a real dig.

He dropped a bomb with very little relative pressure on him at a crucial time in the game. He blew his cool at the ref after giving away a penalty (right or wrong, allowing decisions to get under your skin as a pro player is not a good thing). Where was his usual immaculate positional play on that bomb that lead to Radradra's try? Where was his menace and try scoring or setting up in the second half? These are just a few things, but when Snake is playing to his potential they don't happen. That's what makes guys like Snake earn the money and plaudits that he does. Tonight's performance did not deserve it.

Two further points.

(1) I don't have the stats, but I'm pretty sure we have lost the contest for short kick offs close to every time (if not, 100% of the time) this year. Tonight's short kick off was the first time I recall us trying one and we lost it. I, as an amateur lay person observing, has raised this point numerous times since the start of the year. Why get upset about completions and errors if you are not also going to practice and improve short kick off contests?

(2) Our problem is mental. It is not about having a smaller forward pack. It is about believing that the sacrifice is worthwhile. I believe this is where the real rub occurs. The sacrifice I'm taking about is doing whatever it takes to win for each other. The doubt comes from the questions around people leaving and what it all means.

KaZa said:
few of our legends who have been whinging in the media. Watmough and his rants have made our problems public and since then it HAS affected the team.

At the end of the weekend we'll be sitting either second or first on the ladder. It's not all dooms day yet.
Choc and Snake were two of the best against the Titans but both had a bit of a shocker last .night. I did not see a lack of trying from any player. We just got rolled in the second half. Slimies had 7 days to prepare for this match and no travel. Manly had 5, travel and a second away match.
This is the tightest, most even comp in years. Manly are doing pretty well despite the #crisis, despite the media and their unfavourable scheduling.
Over to Tooves, Donny and the boys now. We are still in this big time.

that 'no try' to parra changed the game big time. It woke them, and the crowd right up from that point on. had it been given a try i think it wouldve been a completely different game. Not sure if we wouldve won or not, but once they got that call against them, it lit the fire that we couldnt put out.

need to get back into those wolverine jerseys - stat!

So what happens at training this week?

does 2v blow up?
does he go about normal business?
can you blow up at a-graders?
do the forwards release yet another "we've been embarrassed so we spoke about it" media release?

I've never been coached that much so I don't know what goes on....!

globaleagle said:
need to get back into those wolverine jerseys - stat!

So what happens at training this week?

does 2v blow up?
does he go about normal business?
can you blow up at a-graders?
do the forwards release yet another "we've been embarrassed so we spoke about it" media release?

I've never been coached that much so I don't know what goes on....!

It's ok if no one knows.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8