Pre-Game Manly v Eels [Round 21, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

20 36
4 Pines Park
05 Aug 2022 07:55 PM

Team Lists

Good, Woodsie. A debate. That's what I seek and often I say things to promote debate.

One of the reasons I posted what I did was that I get quite concerned by derogatory remarks made about players, who are at this level the creme de la creme, the best of the best. They're not all the same and have a tonne of different behavioural characteristics, so comparison is often simplistic. They all have worked damned hard I would suspect to get to where they are. Questioning their commitment or putting them down (and I'm not directing this at you Woodsie) is I think is not appreciating what these gladiators have to to go through. They each want to be the best they can and earn enough in the fifteen years or so they have on the field. If their form is down, its not laziness. No way these guys could be described as lazy. I'm somewhat lazy, but then I'm retired and not putting in hours of work in fitness regimes, press interviews, community visits, almost gladiatorial battles on the field against huge fit opponents out to hurt you, weeks, maybe months in rehab, and then suddenly getting injured again. Laziness? Maybe soul destroying.

But unlike clubs and coaches, these young players are inexperienced. You surely recall when you were 21 what it was like. These guys, despite their talent, are no different. They have the same emotional needs, the same insecurities, the same expectations and perhaps delusions at times. They've had to sacrifice much to reach this point. They are like all famed people under constant scrutiny (thankfully most of us maintained our anonymity). They live to a degree in an artificial world. Emotionally anything that stands in the way of their career, one that has such a short duration,is going to impact on them. They are just as human as we are and many are still kids in certain ways. In that sense the coach and club, that controls their destiny is more responsible for their career. They deserve our respect, not our put downs.

Much, of what you say is true for all of them, ... nearly all you say is true for some of them ... but all you say is not true for all of them ...

Regardless of talent and hard work .. the overwhelming majority will never see a first grade jersey ... The leap from junior rep's to grade is far greater than most people ever realise ... and it is not just the physical, the biggest hurdle becomes the mental .... For the young superstars, the Schusters and the Wright's for example, who all the way through juniors exceled at every touch of the ball, the game was 60 mins of highlight reel product ... even reggies is a bit of a doddle ... but 1st grade .... suddenly the superstars find themselves in a world where 79 mins 45 secs is hard physical grind with a possible 15 seconds of stardom. ... and some don't react well ..

And all the coaches know this ... most have gone through it themselves ... and are professionals at transitioning the young players ... some like 19yo Koula appear to take it in their stride ... others not so much..

But somewhere in your hypothesis Bear ... you need to allow for the fact that a healthy % of the young Jnr reps are dickheads and some are simply uneducable ...

Of our current squad .... Turbo, Jake, Haumole, Fainu, Parker, Paseka, Foran, DCE, Koula, Weekes, Ben T, Tu'itavake ..... all came through our juniors ..

So keen for this game. Thoughts on the likes of Burbo and Boyle being picked ahead of Schuster? Even Taupau considering he is looking on the outer? Really hope we win this game got a ticket on the hill!

Good on ya mate .. cheer loud and often ..

Ps .. welcome and don't take any notice of the salty old buggers on here ... this place is a different dimension where the older you are ... the more feral you become ..

Points taken Woodsie and for sure not everyone is going to make the grade. All of them though give it their best.

Some times though I think we expect too much too quickly. I notice it a lot on this forum. Whats called the instant gratification nature of our present society. We all want it now and the structure of society reinforces that mentality.

I'm a tortoise, a plodder, and it took me years to achieve what others achieved who I knew in the job I held with apparent ease. I plodded along. I wasnt fast but I was accumulating step by step. Many of the fast ones eventually fell by the way side. Ten years before the end of my career I had won, lets say an award few attain. But in my early years I would have seemed to least likely to reach that level.

Sometimes patience is essential if you want to get the best out of someone or something. Same applies to footballers. We all want to see the Koulas and Pongas who seamlessly adapt to first grade. And yet some of the best players such as Cliff Lyons take several years to show just what they are capable of. Manly let Gutherson go because they didnt think it worth holding him, probably because they had Turbo. Yet he became the star of the Parramatta side. They thought Wright wasnt worth keeping, yet he's now a Wallaby. They thought Hastings wasnt worth the effort yet he helped the English side s he played for reach the Grand final twice and was declared the star player. Now he's at West and gradually making his mark. I know many will describe errors in their game. And yet there the are successful because of patience.

Sometimes instant gratification, expecting excellence straight away, causes one to allow flawed diamonds to slip through your fingers. I just hope Schuster isnt one of them because if he goes he could very well embarrass us playing for another team.

Points taken Woodsie and for sure not everyone is going to make the grade. All of them though give it their best.

Some times though I think we expect too much too quickly. I notice it a lot on this forum. Whats called the instant gratification nature of our present society. We all want it now and the structure of society reinforces that mentality.

I'm a tortoise, a plodder, and it took me years to achieve what others achieved who I knew in the job I held with apparent ease. I plodded along. I wasnt fast but I was accumulating step by step. Many of the fast ones eventually fell by the way side. Ten years before the end of my career I had won, lets say an award few attain. But in my early years I would have seemed to least likely to reach that level.

Sometimes patience is essential if you want to get the best out of someone or something. Same applies to footballers. We all want to see the Koulas and Pongas who seamlessly adapt to first grade. And yet some of the best players such as Cliff Lyons take several years to show just what they are capable of. Manly let Gutherson go because they didnt think it worth holding him, probably because they had Turbo. Yet he became the star of the Parramatta side. They thought Wright wasnt worth keeping, yet he's now a Wallaby. They thought Hastings wasnt worth the effort yet he helped the English side s he played for reach the Grand final twice and was declared the star player. Now he's at West and gradually making his mark. I know many will describe errors in their game. And yet there the are successful because of patience.

Sometimes instant gratification, expecting excellence straight away, causes one to allow flawed diamonds to slip through your fingers. I just hope Schuster isnt one of them because if he goes he could very well embarrass us playing for another team.

But again ... you appear to be contributing blame on the football clubs ... and very little to the players ...

Football clubs are not charities, and they have salary caps and fans with high expectations ... and although they will never get every decision correct ... the good ones are pretty good at sorting out the numb-skulls from the numbnuts ..

Boyle breaking down so quickly after a long layoff and glimpses of promise would be very "on-brand" though.
I know you have to have some of these “ budget players “ but you have to say of anyone we’ve had in the last few years he’s been very underwhelming.

I was really surprised that we extended him for 2022.

I know you have to have some of these “ budget players “ but you have to say of anyone we’ve had in the last few years he’s been very underwhelming.

Yeah, no surprises when it comes to Boyle...probably his last game for us.

Yes I was surprised as well, I thought the money (although probably base rate) would be better spent elsewhere

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8