Post-Game Discussion Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Bulldogs
31 4 Pines Park
04 Mar 2023 15:00
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I'm tipping it's because he is not big and strong enough to take hit-ups, nor tall enough to take 'speckies' in the air, as the modern-day winger is expected to do.

I've heard that claim before. Doesn't follow though if he is primarily a full back who is required to do exactly the same thing. He doesn't seem to have those kind of difficulties taking balls in the air and doing hit ups. He's obviously ear marked as Turbo's back up. He's only a little lighter and shorter than Garrick, by far our best wing man, and he's young and will grow bigger. He has speed and evasiveness easily near the top of the wingers in the comp in that area. And he's being used as a No 14, which means he is seen even as potentially able to handle the rough stuff in the middle. Personally I'd like to see him at centre, possibly a Jamie Lyon type..

Tippy toes will be the odd man out when Saab comes back. Lacks pace and is a liability in the air. His hit ups are overrated and I think Garrick is now ahead in this dept.
Not so sure SE, Tui was killing it in the first half of last season, although, things all went south from the Rainbow round right to the end of the 22 season. His hit ups are more damaging than Saabs, and is hard to stop close to the line when finishing off try scoring movements. Also, I'd rather have Tui doing a hit up than Garrick anyway, being our goalkicker and all.

The attack was very poor, the defensive efforts and all round work by the forwards had a more unified tough approach about it though.

There were gaps to be exposed and some switching off moments up the middle especially but totally understandable and expected in such hot conditions.

The Dogs didn't offer much to genuinely rate our defensive efforts and structure but i did like the starch and unity behind our display, to win so easily and play in a manner that requires a lot of improvement is a good start.

That game was a punish to watch, the attacking structures on display from both clubs was a yawn.
****en hell you're a miserable ****. 10/10 misery guts. You're the type of cxnt who'd win lotto and still complain that it wasn't enough.

Your comments about boring game? WTF? Full house, first game of the year, good atmosphere and a win. what do you want? Wristie too?

We won a game by a decent margin and you're still slagging us off. We actually won 3 games including trials and 1st round. OK we can improve but FMD we won. Might not have been perfect t but it beats the **** out of losing 7 straight (in a non gay way of course).

No offence but just **** off. You = knob. Jihad

Garrick and Saab still seem the most capable pair to field bombs or high kicks but very pleasing to see Tippy Toes settling down taking bombs on Saturday after a couple of shaky attempts . Shame again that Saab went down with that major injury as he was going so well all round with even that extra bit of aggression and his pace hopefully not affected and just so dynamic . Garrick and Saab also seem the best combo in taking in attacking kicks to the corner which can be a good weapon for Manly to exploit when the opportunity presents .

*en hell you're a miserable *. 10/10 misery guts. You're the type of cxnt who'd win lotto and still complain that it wasn't enough.

Your comments about boring game? WTF? Full house, first game of the year, good atmosphere and a win. what do you want? Wristie too?

We won a game by a decent margin and you're still slagging us off. We actually won 3 games including trials and 1st round. OK we can improve but FMD we won. Might not have been perfect t but it beats the **** out of losing 7 straight (in a non gay way of course).

No offence but just **** off. You = knob. Jihad
I think I’ve only just twigged to it but I think he’s the supporter of another club , and the way I saw him “ supporting “ a discussion once on the Melbourne Storm Salary Rorts , I think he might be a Drizzle man.

I can never remember him having a positive comment on a Manly game , EVER.

I just ignore his crap now , it’s all too technical for me anyhow as I just watch the footy for enjoyment, and couldn’t care less if the patterns weren’t exact , we lose , I’m unhappy , we win , I’m as happy as a pig in mud!!

For anyone who struggled to hear the Manly Press Conference on the NRL.com website due to overlapping of multiple audio of what was being said, FOX Sports has a clear version here:

Thanks, hadn't noticed it till now but DCE's comment is significant, that they've spoken about making sure they are a complete team this year no matter who is there at fullback. They needed to address the 'one-man-team' criticism, sounds like they are. Another plus!

Was watching Willie Mason and Just Horo podcast.. reviewing the game.. interesting that Willie being on the coaching staff.. thought we got lucky on a few occasions and we were gassed and Dogs should have done better.

Might have to re watch the game but i dont know where he thought we looked gassed? Not like i care what he thinks but from a coaching perspective (his and his bulldogs team). Wonder if anyone thought the same?

Was watching Willie Mason and Just Horo podcast.. reviewing the game.. interesting that Willie being on the coaching staff.. thought we got lucky on a few occasions and we were gassed and Dogs should have done better.

Might have to re watch the game but i dont know where he thought we looked gassed? Not like i care what he thinks but from a coaching perspective (his and his bulldogs team). Wonder if anyone thought the same?

The bloke is a knob. Can’t believe he wore our colours.

Quite normal to see what you want to see. No doubt he has a Bulldog bias, having played for them, so he will see things that enhance his beliefs and overlook things that don't. Not a good commentator. Balance is the key and too many of these commentators have their personal biases that colour how they see the game. Quite normal to do, but shouldn't be a commentator unless they can view the game dispassionately. Few are able to do it. I recall watching quite a bit of English soccer years ago. I sensed that the commentators were fairly impartial and as a result I enjoyed watching the game and listening to their comments. Very few commentating Rugby League have that ability.

Yeah I thought it wast him reading into it too much. We scored all the points late on. So not sure how he saw us flagging. Maybe we were just in cruise control

Watching the game again, I did notice the second 20min of first half, Dogs had reversed momentum in the middle and we did look a little gassed. In fact, had the sin binning not occurred the game could have turned out quite different. The Dogs should have done better, and they imploded at the end, but the scoreline flattered us a little imo. Having said that, we also squandered a fair few opportunities in attack

Watching the game again, I did notice the second 20min of first half, Dogs had reversed momentum in the middle and we did look a little gassed. In fact, had the sin binning not occurred the game could have turned out quite different. The Dogs should have done better, and they imploded at the end, but the scoreline flattered us a little imo. Having said that, we also squandered a fair few opportunities in attack

Bit of conjecture there. Seems every one is pointing to one player going the the sin bin as the reason Manly won. Maybe we should check back on every game played where a player is sent to the bin and suggest that this was the reason teams won matches. Certainly it gave Manly a boost but they had held the Dogs well and ft was the Dogs who were gassed at the end, not Manly.

Bit of conjecture there. Seems every one is pointing to one player going the the sin bin as the reason Manly won. Maybe we should check back on every game played where a player is sent to the bin and suggest that this was the reason teams won matches. Certainly it gave Manly a boost but they had held the Dogs well and ft was the Dogs who were gassed at the end, not Manly.
They never looked like scoring and their 1 try was just as dubious as the sin bin. If Flanno stays on it only effects the margin, not the result.

They never looked like scoring and their 1 try was just as dubious as the sin bin. If Flanno stays on it only effects the margin, not the result.
There's no doubt there were periods where we looked buggered but it was sooooo hot and the forwards were on a mission in defence. We were standing pretty flat during this time until there were some rotations, then we picked it up again. Funny though, if he thought WE looked gassed, what the heck did he think was wrong with the Bulldogs??

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4