Manly V Bronco's Rnd 1 Game Day Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I was surprised this hadn't been started yet (imagine no team to discuss would be part of that) but given the first game of the season is 4 days away thought I'd start one up.

Firstly-weather

As you know it's been pissing down up here for about 2 months, I had another 185 Mls in my backyard just over the weekend.

BUT there is a little sun today and they (BOM) are saying sunny days with a few showers for the rest of the week.

Suncorp has an amazing drainage system (truly amazing) so as long as it's not pissing down on the day we'll get a dry track.

Secondly-ticket sales

I don't know what the numbers are but the Bronco's are confident of over 45K, so almost a SOO like atmosphere.

There are only single seats left in Bay 317 (as of last night).

MWTS

We have almost 120 people joining us for the pre game Function and in Bay 317, should be a great atmosphere, and with Bay 317 almost full we should make a LOT of noise.

Our chances

I'll let you guys debate that but to me the Bronco's always start well and we don't so we could be in for a tough night at the office.

HOWEVER, the Bronco's attack is crap, a halves pairing that have never played together, rookie wingers and a fullback who runs hot and cold. Hodges is fair, Reed is a good player and will be their "go to man". I somehow doubt thjis one will be played on the edges.

Their forwards are pretty good and have mostly played together for a few years now, that is their strength and they will play to it!!

My tip......Manly by 4

As revealed by News Limited this morning, injuries to Broncos wingers mean Josh Hoffman earns a berth on the left flank with young gun Lachlan Maranta to play on the right wing.

Broncos team for NRL round one on March 8 against Manly Sea Eagles:

1. Corey Norman
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

INTERCHANGE
14. Ben Hunt
15. Ben Hannant
16. Mitchell Dodds
17. David Stagg
18. Scott Anderson

And a massive Fail from ch9 to start the year

I would've thought norman was a 5/8 or lock, rather that a 5/8 or fullback. Could be a weak link there.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I was surprised this hadn't been started yet (imagine no team to discuss would be part of that) but given the first game of the season is 4 days away thought I'd start one up.

Firstly-weather

As you know it's been pissing down up here for about 2 months, I had another 185 Mls in my backyard just over the weekend.

BUT there is a little sun today and they (BOM) are saying sunny days with a few showers for the rest of the week.

Suncorp has an amazing drainage system (truly amazing) so as long as it's not pissing down on the day we'll get a dry track.

Secondly-ticket sales

I don't know what the numbers are but the Bronco's are confident of over 45K, so almost a SOO like atmosphere.

There are only single seats left in Bay 317 (as of last night).

MWTS

We have almost 120 people joining us for the pre game Function and in Bay 317, should be a great atmosphere, and with Bay 317 almost full we should make a LOT of noise.

Our chances

I'll let you guys debate that but to me the Bronco's always start well and we don't so we could be in for a tough night at the office.

HOWEVER, the Bronco's attack is crap, a halves pairing that have never played together, rookie wingers and a fullback who runs hot and cold. Hodges is fair, Reed is a good player and will be their "go to man". I somehow doubt thjis one will be played on the edges.

Their forwards are pretty good and have mostly played together for a few years now, that is their strength and they will play to it!!

My tip......Manly by 4

The bolded part worries me.

Unless both teams meet in the finals this will be the only time we face the Broncos this year so I hope we get up.

This is where they are weakest,

1. Corey Norman...lacklustre in attack
2. Josh Hoffman...out of position
3. Jack Reed....strong needs to be watched
4. Justin Hodges...a "cat" and runs mostly from dummy half
5. Lachlan Maranta..rookie, and will be under pressure
6. Scott Prince...time will tell
7. Peter Wallace...hasn't been the same as when Lockyer was in control

Their forwards however are pretty good and do have Hannant / Stagg (both highly experienced) off the bench

Tough game which is why I think only 4 points will seperate

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
A few things in our favour that will tilt the game our way-
New fullback in Norman and Hoffman not usually on the wing( doesn't like playing there).
New halves combination, will take atleast a few weeks for them to gel.
Thaiday not fully fit and playing in the frontrow.
Also Parker may also be carrying an injury???

I know wel have King and Gift missing,(im assuming Snake will play) but all our key positions in 1,6,7,9 are intact. That should be enough for us to get the points in this one IMO.

Something that might not even factor, but the Broncos also won't have gotten into their Friday night routine yet, playing teams that may be backing up from a short week etc

I'll take it anyway :shy:

The NRL season hasn't even started and Manly hard man Anthony Watmough has already resigned himself to the fact he will probably have to play the entire year with the help of painkilling injections.

In a revealing insight into what some NRL stars will put their body through just to make it on the field, Watmough said at training today that it was likely a rib injury he suffered in a trial match in Gosford two weeks ago would stay with him for the remainder of the season.

"It's the first time I have ever had any rib injuries and they are not pleasant but we cortisoned it and settled it down," he explained.

"Probably I will need a couple of needles for round one. It is not ideal but if it has to be done, it has to be done."

Watmough said the injury was the result of an accidental collision with a teammate.

Asked how it would now heal, given he has a weekly game to get through, he laughed: "It doesn't. You cop your local and then you cop your medicine when you are out on the field.

"It will probably be there for the next 26 rounds or so.

"That's footy. You learn to play with the little bumps and bruises. It is nothing new."

The Sea Eagles take on the Broncos in Brisbane first up on Friday night and Watmough has backed former Parramatta backrower Justin Horo as a player for Manly fans to watch out for.

Coach Geoff Toovey won't name his round one team until tomorrow but it is expected Horo will partner Watmough in the back row, given Glenn Stewart is out injured.

Horo is hoping to fill the void left by big Tony Williams, who is now at Canterbury.

Asked who had impressed him most during pre-season, Watmough said: "Probably Justin Horo has been one of the ones who has stood out to me.

"I think his skill and his athleticism is second to none and wherever he fits into the team on Friday night he will do a job for us."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/weekly-pain-killing-injections-likely-for-anthony-watmough/story-e6frexnr-1226589929475

Hamster Huey said:
joeboy said:
Rumoured that gagan may be on the wing and Sao on the bench.

We're expecting some wet weather. Not a good mix.

Would that be SOGGY weather HH??

Berkeley_Eagle said:
The NRL season hasn't even started and Manly hard man Anthony Watmough has already resigned himself to the fact he will probably have to play the entire year with the help of painkilling injections.

In a revealing insight into what some NRL stars will put their body through just to make it on the field, Watmough said at training today that it was likely a rib injury he suffered in a trial match in Gosford two weeks ago would stay with him for the remainder of the season.

"It's the first time I have ever had any rib injuries and they are not pleasant but we cortisoned it and settled it down," he explained.

"Probably I will need a couple of needles for round one. It is not ideal but if it has to be done, it has to be done."

Watmough said the injury was the result of an accidental collision with a teammate.

Asked how it would now heal, given he has a weekly game to get through, he laughed: "It doesn't. You cop your local and then you cop your medicine when you are out on the field.

"It will probably be there for the next 26 rounds or so.

"That's footy. You learn to play with the little bumps and bruises. It is nothing new."

The Sea Eagles take on the Broncos in Brisbane first up on Friday night and Watmough has backed former Parramatta backrower Justin Horo as a player for Manly fans to watch out for.

Coach Geoff Toovey won't name his round one team until tomorrow but it is expected Horo will partner Watmough in the back row, given Glenn Stewart is out injured.

Horo is hoping to fill the void left by big Tony Williams, who is now at Canterbury.

Asked who had impressed him most during pre-season, Watmough said: "Probably Justin Horo has been one of the ones who has stood out to me.

"I think his skill and his athleticism is second to none and wherever he fits into the team on Friday night he will do a job for us."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/weekly-pain-killing-injections-likely-for-anthony-watmough/story-e6frexnr-1226589929475

I think we can pencil in Horo and F'aoso....but there will be others as well.

MANLY coach Geoff Toovey says Scott Prince is still a force to be reckoned with and was surprised the Gold Coast released the former Queensland playmaker to join Brisbane for this NRL season.

The 33-year-old looked set to move to Super League side Hull FC after exiting the Titans with a year remaining on his contract only for the Broncos to make an 11th-hour play to secure his services.

Prince endured an indifferent season in 2012 but Toovey said his side are expecting to face a player rejuvenated by his move to a new club when they meet Anthony Griffin's side on Friday at Suncorp Stadium.

"He adds a lot more flair in attack to their side, he is a very experienced player, good with the ball in his hands and very exciting to watch," Toovey said.

"He will add another strike weapon to their backline.''

Prince will form a partnership with one-time NSW halfback Peter Wallace and Toovey believes the Broncos have made a shrewd move by signing the 2005 premiership winner.

"I was surprised the Titans released him, but that is modern-day rugby league,'' he said.

"Players move around a lot more than they used to, but Prince is a very good player and the Broncos will be expecting big things from him."

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran is hoping for an upturn in form this season after admitting his performances were not up to scratch last year.

Foran was a stand-out performer during the Sea Eagles' 2011 premiership-winning campaign, but said he wasn't satisfied with how he played in a season that saw Manly beaten by Melbourne in the preliminary final.

"It wasn't a great year for myself, I just couldn't get any momentum as I was out of games due to injury,'' Foran said.

"It's a fresh start this year and I hope to improve this week."

Manly have employed Andrew Johns as a halves coach and Foran said working with the NSW great has been hugely beneficial for he and Daly Cherry-Evans.

"It's been really good confidence-wise, doing little drills with him and working on weaknesses in our game,'' he said.

"We're hoping we can take out onto the training paddock. We just want to take as much from him as possible."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-coach-geoff-toovey-surprised-the-titans-released-scott-prince-to-the-brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexnr-1226590036116

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7