Manly Team of the Decade

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Im sorry but anyone who suggests Wolfman for a wing spot must have short memories. He had a couple of brilliant seasons but Des wasnt even picking him at times, how does a guy that couldn't make the team for a season get picked in team of the decade??
Wolfman was a great runner of the ball but as an NRL winger he had many flaws and was repeatedly exposed and no more evident than the disaster that was the 2013 GF. Plus, wasnt he suspended by the NRL for betting on matches? Surely that forfeits his right to be named.

Last edited:
Thanks Max .... the bloke that hasn't had a mention is Dylan Walker .... in retrospect I think I will put him on the bench as my #14 .....
Hard to argue with that call mate....I reckon Walker will have a Huge 2020

Really? So you would have Jorge ahead of all but one of either Robbo, Turbo, Wolfman, Hopoate or Uate? Because being serious those would be the six main candidates for the two wing spots.
Really? So you would have Jorge ahead of all but one of either Robbo, Turbo, Wolfman, Hopoate or Uate? Because being serious those would be the six main candidates for the two wing spots.

Depends how you look at this things I guess. For Turbo, I don’t move guys out of position for these teams so I don’t consider him as a winger despite his handful of games played there

Uate one good season and 1 bad, Jorge has him covered for me. Hopoate was great in our premiership year, but on longevity I feel Jorge has had equal seasons to that

Gets interesting from here, Robbo only played the 2 seasons and both were quality so he probably gets a spot, Wolfman played 3-4 seasons in the decade but was out injured a fair bit and obviously declined a bit towards the end

For how I look at things, the amount of time spent in the position and the consistency over that longer period of time gets Jorge a spot in a decade team. Overall career wise we have a different discussion, and if it was most talented manly team of the decade again it is a different discussion

Last edited:
Wow - even with -33% the Baz Years' loading, Manly is a Top 4 Club :rock:
IMG_20191212_070139.jpg

1. B. Stewart
2. M. Robertson
3. J. Lyon (c)
4. S. Matai
5. T. Trbojevic
6. K. Foran
7. D. Cherry-Evans
8. B. Kite
9. M. Balin
10. M. Taupau
11. A. Watmough
12. G. Stewart
13. J. Trbojevic

14. J. Buhrer
15. A. Fonua-Blake
16. J. King
17. B. Lawrence

What about ****test 13 of the last decade..?
I’ll give you some names
Lewis Brown
Willie Mason
Nathan green
Tim moltzen
Nate Myles
Issac John
Matt Wright
Jono Wright
Uate
Brayden Williame
Felati Mateo

There’s a small selection
Coach Barrett
Strength and conditioning Dan The myth Ferris

My 3 cents worth.....

FB - Brett Stewart

WG - The Wolfman

CE - Jamie Lyon (c)

CE - Steve Matai

WG - Tom Trbojevic

FE - Kieran Foran

HB - Daly Cherry-Evans

PR - Brent Kite

HK - Matt Ballin

PR - AFB

SR - Anthony Watmough

SR - Glenn Stewart

LK - Steve Menzies

BE - Jake Turbo

BE - Joe Gulavaou

BE - Marty Kapow

BE - Trent Hodginson

Notes .... Robbo unlucky to miss out .... deserves to be there .. but people forget just how good the Wolfman was ... Hoppa also unlucky ...

.... Kapow lucky to be there .... makes it because of lack of a strong field at prop .... on second thoughts should probably replace him with Kingy .... he gave a damn ...

I do not forget how good the Wolfman was.
Cue @HappilyManly with the shower photo. :inlove:

I do not forget how good the Wolfman was.
Cue @HappilyManly with the shower photo. :inlove:
Wolfie was one of Manly's most effective tryscorers.
Ranking 4th best winger in the annals of Manly :wait:

In terms of actually playing and scoring on the wing (rather than the number scored overall no matter what position), the Manly wingers list reads (30 tries or more):

Tom Mooney - 83 tries, 163 games (50.92%)
David Williams - 66 tries, 103 games (64.07%)
Michael Robertson - 59 tries, 120 games (49.16%)
Craig Hancock - 55 tries, 126 games (43.65%)
Nick Yakich - 52 tries, 74 games (70.27%)
Jorge Taufua - 50 tries, 82 games (60.97%)
Scott Donald - 48 tries, 68 games (70.58%)
John Hopoate - 46 tries, 88 games (52.27%)
Ken Irvine - 41 tries, 60 games (68.33%)
Johnny Bliss - 41 tries, 71 games (57.74%)
John Ribot - 33 tries, 53 games (62.26%)
Stuart Davis - 33 tries, 86 games (38.37%)
Kerry Boustead - 30 tries, 66 games (45.45%)

Mooney scored the most tries on the Manly flank while Scott Donald has the highest strike rate for those with 30 or more tries.

Just for note, if you put that lot into a 100 metre foot race, I would say the top 3 would be Irvine, Bliss and Yakich. Not sure who'd run last though, probably Hoppa or Jorge lol.

Now, he has morphed into a Bin Chicken :rofl:

Manly team of the decade in todays telecrap ..... somebody useful like @globaleagle may get hold of it .....

Team as suspected mostly except ... for one wing and one 2nd row spot .....

In regards to the 2nd row spot ... I can only conclude that the bloke that picked the team is drug adled ..... he put Jake on the bench .... and put T-rex in .....

Jake and Tom Trbojevic bumped in Manly Sea Eagles team of the decade
Joe Barton, The Daily Telegraph
December 18, 2019 7:00am

Manly started the decade at the peak of their powers — and naturally the core of this team is those who helped deliver the 2011 title.

It was a second premiership in four years and it should shock nobody to see this squad stacked with the stars of that era.

A grim decline followed, before a resurgence under Des Hasler came this year, though preference has been given to those players who lifted the Provan-Summons Trophy.

1. Brett Stewart: Stewart was at the peak of his powers at the start of the decade, spearheading the 2011 title win – scoring the opening try of the grand final triumph over the Warriors. Scored 65 of his 163 career tries in this decade and was the playmaking heart of the team’s attack, even into his final years when the body fell apart. Manly’s best ever fullback? He presents a compelling case.

Brett Stewart was the playmaking heart of Manly's attack.
Brett Stewart was the playmaking heart of Manly's attack.
2. Tom Trbojevic: Has flourished at fullback in recent years, but Trbojevic started out his career on the wing - where he emerged as a prolific tryscorer and one of the game’s most dynamic ballrunners. The best is yet to come for the 23-year-old but with 44 tries across his first five seasons he’s a shoo-in for this team.
3. Jamie Lyon: An absolute no-brainer. This all-time Sea Eagles great captained the Sea Eagles to the 2011 and 2013 grand finals and has a strong claim to be the best centre of the decade – across all teams. A four-time centre of the year, and two-time captain of the year.
4. Steve Matai: Hit harder than Mike Tyson, and left many a rival centre gasping for air after cutting them in half with a trademark big shot. But Matai was more than just a hitman – he was a workhorse, a selfless teammate and an underrated attacking force. With 65 tries from 2010 onwards, he was a crucial cog in Manly’s best teams until his body had had enough.
5. Jorge Taufua: Keeps out premiership winners Will Hopoate, Michael Robertson and David Williams. No player scored more tries for Manly in the past decade than Taufua, who crossed 80 times. Was also a no-holds-barred defender whose highlight reel of bone-rattling hits was felt all the way in America.
6. Kieran Foran: Fans of Parramatta, Canterbury and the Warriors won’t want to read this – but in the opening half of the decade there was no tougher player. A rugged playmaker, Foran gave his heart, soul and big chunks of his body to the Sea Eagles before a doomed switch to the Eels in 2016. But by that point he’d already won a comp, played 20 times for his country and entrenched himself as a Sea Eagles legend.
Kieran Foran entrenched himself as a Sea Eagles legend.

Kieran Foran entrenched himself as a Sea Eagles legend.

7. Daly Cherry-Evans: The team’s longest servant throughout the decade, Cherry-Evans began as a fresh-faced rookie who steered the ship in their 2011 premiership and ends it as the team captain and a Queensland and Australia mainstay. Nearly walked out on the club in 2016 but famously backflipped on a deal with the Gold Coast to steer the club out of a mid-decade funk.
8. Martin Taupau: Arrived at Manly in 2016 to much fanfare and instantly delivered on the large expectation, immediately becoming the team’s most threatening forward.
9. Matt Ballin: The ironman of the Manly pack, once playing in 187 consecutive games for the Sea Eagles. The 2012 best and fairest didn’t face too much competition for this spot from those who came after him during his disastrous two-year, three-game stint at Wests Tigers.
10. Brent Kite: The 2008 Clive Churchill medal doesn’t come into the reckoning for Kite’s selection in this squad, but he led the Sea Eagles forward pack for the first four years of the decade and is an automatic inclusion.

Brent Kite led Manly’s pack. Picture: Gregg Porteous

Brent Kite led Manly’s pack. Picture: Gregg Porteous

11. Anthony Watmough: Forget that he left in ugly circumstances and just remember the good times: Watmough at his best was a prospect to be feared, and he remained near his best right until the acrimonious end of his time at Manly.
12. Tony Williams: Perhaps the most controversial inclusion, Williams is the beneficiary of a lack of serious competition for the second edge forward role. And he edges out the likes of Joel Thompson, Jamie Buhrer, Justin Horo and Curtis Sironen because at his best he had them all covered – and in 2011 he was at his destructive best, leading to an Origin call-up the following year. That he could never reproduce his explosive form was a great shame.
13. Glenn Stewart: In arguably the toughest selection battle, Stewart pips Jake Trbojevic for the starting role because of one clear reason — the 2011 Clive Churchill medal. A defensive workhorse, Stewart was also a classy ballplayer who alongside brother Brett was so often the heartbeat of the Manly attack.
Glenn Stewart edges Jake Trbojevic for the No.13 jersey.

Glenn Stewart edges Jake Trbojevic for the No.13 jersey.

14. Jake Trbojevic: Pushed to the bench in the second of the Stewart v Trbojevic battles, but that should in no way diminish the impact Jake has had in recent years. Entered first grade with the team on the slide, and has been as influential as any in building them back up to finalists. A three-time best and fairest winner in just five full seasons of first grade.
15. Jason King: A local junior who grew into a rugged front-rower and later captain, King would give you great service off the bench.
16. Addin Fonua-Blake: A late addition to the squad, Fonua-Blake broke into first grade in 2016 and has emerged as one of the premier front-rowers in the NRL.
17. Jamie Buhrer: Versatile and hardworking, Buhrer played 129 games for Manly after captaining the team’s NYC side.

Jake has been a regular inclusion in State and Australian sides for years now so surely would be an automatic selection in a Manly starting side and in the back row on any criteria . Certainly give Jorge his due for some real improvement in taking bombs last season [ and really hope that he can keep this up ] real good player but not in the top 13 for that time .

Im sorry but anyone who suggests Wolfman for a wing spot must have short memories. He had a couple of brilliant seasons but Des wasnt even picking him at times, how does a guy that couldn't make the team for a season get picked in team of the decade??
Wolfman was a great runner of the ball but as an NRL winger he had many flaws and was repeatedly exposed and no more evident than the disaster that was the 2013 GF. Plus, wasnt he suspended by the NRL for betting on matches? Surely that forfeits his right to be named.

Interesting argument you put up there.
You admit Wolfie had a couple of brilliant seasons and had many flaws citing the 2013 GF.
And yes he was suspended for betting - but the bet was that he'd be leading tryscorer and guess what? He bloody well was, surely you can't deny him for that.

Ask anybody and I reckon a vast majority want a winger that knows how to find the tryline and will forgive the errors,

Do you want a safe winger who won't lose you a game but may not necessarily win you one or
a winger that may lose you a game or two but can win you more?

I'll forgive him his GF for the tries he scored for us, his understanding with Killer was fantastic.

Fortunately by having this discussion we've got plenty of worthy candidates and it comes down to personal choice.
Who can deny Robbo his place?
Jorge has errors too but hits it up as good as anyone ( albeit with our hearts in our mouths) and knows how to find the tryline.

To me the only locks at this stage are
Snake
Matai
Lyon
Foz
DCE
Choc
Gift
Ballin
Kite
King
with both Turbo's on the bench.
Another growth season like last year and AFB will be there too.

Last edited:
Jorge goes ok but no way is he in there instead of Robbo . Robertson was one of the best Manly wingers ever in my opinion. He scored 5 meat pies in the 08 finals series and went on to play a few more years and another Gf in 11 . Filled in admirably for an injured Brett Stewart on numerous times as well . Michael Robertson was the man .

Last edited:
Interesting argument you put up there.
You admit Wolfie had a couple of brilliant seasons and had many flaws citing the 2013 GF.
And yes he was suspended for betting - but the bet was that he'd be leading tryscorer and guess what? He bloody well was, surely you can't deny him for that.

Ask anybody and I reckon a vast majority want a winger that knows how to find the tryline and will forgive the errors,

Do you want a safe winger who won't lose you a game but may not necessarily win you one or
a winger that may lose you a game or two but can win you more?

I'll forgive him his GF for the tries he scored for us, his understanding with Killer was fantastic.

Fortunately by having this discussion we've got plenty of worthy candidates and it comes down to personal choice.
Who can deny Robbo his place?
Jorge has errors too but hits it up as good as anyone ( albeit with our hearts in our mouths) and knows how to find the tryline.

To me the only locks at this stage are
Snake
Matai
Lyon
Foz
DCE
Choc
Gift
Ballin
Kite
King
with both Turbo's on the bench.
Another growth season like last year and AFB will be there too.
I see your point but to be fair I reckon my grandma could have scored a bucket load of tries playing outside killer ;)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4