Manly sign Sam Smith

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Personally, I think this is a good signing.
We desperately need a quality centre/winger. This guy reportedly has pace and obviously has height which is a big advantage these days.
I've not seen him play, but with Funa out injured we are very weak for back-up in our centres and I commend the signing.
As for posters saying we need an established centre, I'm sure the club would like that too but obviously the money is not there.
Does this guy have the obligatory rapper-highlight-video?
I agree with you, I remember when Matai first came into first grade he wasn't an immediate star, the kids looks promising I say let's give him a go, this time next year we might all be raving about him

Tony who ??
upload_2019-4-9_21-51-20.jpeg

Misckie is the outside back needed in the Manly Sea Eagles top 30 for mine.

Surely this lad is a Blacktown Sea Eagles signing and Misckie moves up.

Surely
Miski, Olakau'atu and even possibly docker clay along with Croker are keepers moving forward. Haumole is my new favourite player, like Fainu I reckon this kid is going on to big things. I know it gets thrown around alot, but he is in the sonny Bill mould. Absolutely lays out blokes every hit

My late father-in-law would take one look at the photo and declare him to be a dud, because he hasn’t had a shave.

Personally, I think this is a good signing.
We desperately need a quality centre/winger. This guy reportedly has pace and obviously has height which is a big advantage these days.
I've not seen him play, but with Funa out injured we are very weak for back-up in our centres and I commend the signing.
As for posters saying we need an established centre, I'm sure the club would like that too but obviously the money is not there.
Does this guy have the obligatory rapper-highlight-video?

I think he was a swap for the anti-vaxer but we can’t spend walkers money until his case is finalised.

Look, I’ve never seen him play but I don’t understand the rationale of signing an unknown centre to be a back up to a group of centres without pedigree. If it’s about filling out the squad at bargain basement prices, then I would have rewarded performance in the workers’ team closer to the 30 June deadline for finalising the squad.

HOWEVER, welcome Sam and all the best. I will be ‘rooting’ for you!
Totally agree. I would loved to have seen Miski elevated to the 30 instead.

Is it just me or does he look like Shaun Lane?

Sam is the Centre with the works . Wont belong till we see him in our NRL team

“Sam is a very, big powerful centre with plenty of pace and is a solid defender,’’ said Sea Eagles Coach Des Hasler.

The Sea Eagles' urgent search for another centre has resulted in the immediate signing of 22-year-old Sam Smith on a two-year deal.

The Australian journalist and Sporting News contributor Brent Read reported last week that Manly was scouring the market, with Moses Suli and the stood-down Dylan Walker on the outer.

"The word is Manly is desperate for a centre, and that's because those two guys [Suli and Walker] will be gone by year's end," Read told Sporting News.

Walker is yet to play a game this season having received an indefinite suspension under the NRL's no-fault stand-down rule as he fights a domestic violence charge.

Suli, meanwhile, started the opening three rounds but was dropped last weekend for failing to meet team standards.

He has earned a recall for Saturday's game against the Knights after an injury to Tom Trbojevic resulted in a reshuffled backline.

But the addition of Smith could prove the writing is on the wall for Suli and Walker.

Smith, a former under 20s player with the Broncos and Cowboys, was released from the Panthers' Canterbury Cup ranks and joined Manly on Friday.

The 198cm outside back was thrown into the Sea Eagles' reserve grade team the following day and bagged a try in their victory over South Sydney.

Smith helped Penrith to the minor premiership in the 2018 NSW Cup competition, scoring six four-pointers. He played with the Queensland Central Capras in the Intrust Super Cup in 2017.

While the youngster is yet to feature at NRL level, he has a fan in Manly coach Des Hasler.

"Sam is a very, big powerful centre with plenty of pace and is a solid defender,'' said Hasler.

"He is a welcome addition to our playing squad and will add to our depth in the key outside backs area."

The Sea Eagles have also been heavily linked to Dragons centre Euan Aitken.

I'm dubious. Just like that big guy from the Titans whatever his name is, recently.

So many no-names.

True mate, not getting excited but Des has to fill the 30 man squad by June. We were never going to get a strike back with the cap restraints we have atm.

Hey @mozgrame ... you're our resident expert on all things Capras .... what's your opinion ...

Well brother....I hope he turns into a fantastic NRL player like so many from Rocky (or have spent time playing here) have. Then I can pull the old "See? I told you all so! We should have linked with the capras and had access to the whole CQ area"....card. LOL!!

Seriously....if he turns out well.....it'll be because of his capras time...and Manly can feel welcome. On the other hand....no more discards from Manly thanks.

#MattyWright

All tongue in cheek......

I watched Blacktown on the weekend but didn't even notice this guy as a standout in reserve grade.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6