Manly Sea Eagles cop raw deal in opening week of the NRL finals scheduling Read more

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
MANLY could be the big losers in what shapes as a cock-eyed opening week to the NRL finals scheduling.

It appears the Sea Eagles may have just four full days to prepare for their first semi-final, a ridiculously short period given Canterbury will enjoy a nine-day break between games.

The Daily Telegraph has been told South Sydney will play their home final on Friday week - with Manly the likely opponent.

Manly play Penrith this Sunday at Brookvale and would then have to back-up only a few days later.

Souths play this Friday night - their preparation would span six days.

And what makes Manly fans even angrier is the advantage Canterbury would have in week one.

The Bulldogs play this Thursday evening and may not be back on the field until the following Sunday, a break more than double that of Manly.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

And Canterbury’s advantage will arrive despite finishing below Manly on the NRL competition table.

The Bulldogs also get to play on their home ground, ANZ Stadium, where Manly have been pushed off Brookvale Oval.

Told of the potential scheduling drama, Manly coach Geoff Toovey said: “It would be pretty tough on the players but it's not something we can control.

"We don’t know where a lot of the teams will finish but it would obviously be a disadvantage.

"There are still seems to be some variables there over the final round."

Asked would it simply be unfair, Toovey said: "I can’t do much about it."

It now appears likely the NRL will schedule the Sydney Roosters home final on Saturday at Allianz Stadium as part of a double-header with the Cronulla Sharks home final.

One game would start at 4pm, the other at 7.30pm.

Asked would Souths definitely be playing Friday night in week one of the finals, NRL general manager of football operations Nathan McGuirk said: "There is the potential for that.

"There are a lot of different variables but that is a potential match-up.

"There are a lot of scenarios to play out over the final round. Let's see how the teams fall after the weekend and work off the back of that.

"I think there are three or four different scenarios.

"We will then work through those and then announce the full schedule."

There are also some question marks over the double-header.

Two separate semi-finals would probably pull a combined total of around 55,000 to 60,000 fans. One double header though may attract a crowd of around 40,000.

All four finals in week one would be played in Sydney.

In another twist, the AFL may play a role in the NRL scheduling.

The Sydney Swans may shift their second finals match to ANZ Stadium if they lose their first finals game to Hawthorn on Friday night.

That could cause another reshuffle to the NRL finals format.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/manly-sea-eagles-cop-raw-deal-in-opening-week-of-the-nrl-finals-scheduling/story-e6frf3ou-1226709268826#ixzz2dkJYIubs

Well, at least we will know all the other results by kickoff.

Perhaps Manly can pull up and snatch 4th to get the extra night off.

Just curious, how many regular 1st grade players can Manly omit from the team?.

NYEagle

I'd definitelt be looking at the chooks option,if possible.better to win 1st up,and get the week off.Let the purple filth, and the NRLs darlings smash each other.Good to see the scenarios B4 we play....just thinking out loud ,of course

NYEagle said:
Well, at least we will know all the other results by kickoff.

Perhaps Manly can pull up and snatch 4th to get the extra night off.

Just curious, how many regular 1st grade players can Manly omit from the team?.

NYEagle
Tanking lol
Need storm to win by 40 then we only need to win by 18

Souths and roosters are gonna belt each other silly anyway as well

RE: Manly Sea Eagles cop raw

After a season with 7 Monday night games, Manly will not be offended by the continued biased scheduling:cool:

Penrith are out of the semis, so it should be a fine Sunday of Park Footy at Brookie.

Playing to win is the only mindset that the Manly Players need to foster at this stage of the season:exclamation:

Am I missing something here? Aren't the Roosters likely to come 2nd & Manly 3rd? If so we play the Roosters according to the article on the Saturday??

What sort of a word to use is "cock eyed"? What does that even mean?

I looked it up via google and there is a word "cockeyed". Maybe that's what the writer meant. Using the hyphen means something else.

Mals said:
Am I missing something here? Aren't the Roosters likely to come 2nd & Manly 3rd? If so we play the Roosters according to the article on the Saturday??

Yeah the winner of the chooks v souffs will be 1st so Ritchie is specualating

Brissie Kid said:
What sort of a word to use is "cock eyed"? What does that even mean?

all roosters fans are Cock Eyed

Mals said:

You are missing the fact that Storm are the annointed 3rd place finisher by the Reporter. Oh, and that no one at Manly cares about the Dogs.:cool:

But Manly willl maintain their third spot:angel:

i think whats happening is channel 9 are working the draw and souths will play friday night, regardless of positional finishes and Tom has finalised the outcomes. Dont fight it just bet responsibly

On what planet are Souths our likely opponents? Decent chance of course, but likely? Either way, our opponent will be getting 2 days extra preparation than us.

On The Offload on Triple M, they were discussing the scheduling issues the NRL could face with the Swans at ANZ in the first weekend of semi's. They stated that every team must have minimum 6 days between their Rd 26 game and a semi final. They specifically used Manly as an example, saying they couldn't play a semi final any earlier than Saturday, given they were playing the Panthers on Sunday.

If the NRL wasnt on it's knees to Channel 9 and actually wanted bums on seats, ideally you'd have the 5 vs 8 & 6 vs 7 games as your night games, Friday night and Saturday night. and your blockbuster crowd attracting games, 1 vs 4 on Sunday arvo, 2 vs 3 on Sat arvo. more day time footy pleaaase!

Yes, we will probably be duded again, but what's new? Few people thought we'd beat the Drizzle, particularly with two top players out, but we showed 'em. Not only did we beat them, we gave warning to every other premiership contender that Manly thrives on adversity.
Whatever the NRL throws at us - including the loss of a home ground advantage - will only make Manly stronger.
We'll win that first semi-final then have a weeks' rest. Life is good.

Bring it on I say
This is nothing new here
We have been getting the raw deal all season long just so the NRL can have there precious media darlings play in the GF.
It is only making us stronger
4 day turn around : nothing surprises me this season

I just wish Toovs had of said such when asked. Why go easy on the NRL biased tools? Tell it like it is. It's anti-Manly bias, pro Souffs, and should be condemned.

Crusher_Cleal said:
On what planet are Souths our likely opponents? Decent chance of course, but likely? Either way, our opponent will be getting 2 days extra preparation than us.

Yeah it's a really crap story from lots of perspectives. Most likely wrong. Typical tele - talk up the 1% chance as the most likely outcome and beat it up.

Roosters played Sunday and have just 4 days rest for Friday's game to decide the minor premiership. Wabbits got a full week. That's the story they should have run.

No matter who we play and where we play them, hopefully we all get out there in massive numbers and get behind the boys, especially if we play Souffs.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4