Manly Sea Eagles’ best 17 for 2017 NRL season: The signing who could wreak havoc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought he played well at both prop and second row. I'd like to see how he goes with Green, a proper ball player on the left hand side feeding him good ball. I'm sure we will see more line breaks from him.
Some of his better games were played at 2nd row including:
- Rd 2 vs Tigers 11 runs 159 metres 3 line breaks.
- Rd 23 vs Bulldogs 21 runs for 258 metres.
- Rd 24 vs Raiders 19 runs for 189 metres.
As I said he had 11 on his back but was playing lock from the second time we played Bulldogs (as you said Rd 23) to Rd 25 and in Rd 26 he was at prop. Jake was the edge second row in those games. Watch those games again and you'll see Marty in the middle and Jake on the edge from Rd 23-25. Green won't make any difference...He's a waste there. It does more bad than good...trust me.

Last edited:
As I said he had 11 on his back but was playing lock from the second time we played Bulldogs (as you said Rd 23) to Rd 25 and in Rd 26 he was at prop. Jake was the edge second row in those games. Watch those games again and you'll see Marty in the middle and Jake on the edge
Have to agree, he's a power player and should be in the middle. I think bringing him on after 20 and keeping him to the 70th minute would be perfect for him. Huge impact, limited mins but still 50 mins + a game.

Brown on your starting 17 ?
Brown is a passenger these days and not a quality NRL player
To be a top 4 team we need impact from the bench.
I'm not a huge fan at all but was our only player to play every game last year unless I'm mistaken. I think we do need someone on the bench that can cover hooker and second row. Api is not a 80 minute hooker IMO and who knows how Hastings will go if they start him there... Don't get me wrong @BOZO, if they leave Brown out I won't be upset

This article indicates that Meehan hasn't been cleared by the NRL yet. He has been with us since early last year, was cleared to play Intrust from middle of year and is training with the full time squad. I think he will be an important part of our prop rotation once he gets some games under his belt. Would be ideal for AFB and him to be rotated during the game.
If it is true that he hasn't been cleared yet would like to know is it the club sitting on their hands or the NRL? Either way we should be pushing for clearance now, not the week before the season starts. Over to our new CEO to clarify and get sorted ASAP.

If it is true that he hasn't been cleared yet would like to know is it the club sitting on their hands or the NRL?
Not the club. The NRL has to be seen to be circumspect about letting transgressors return to the game too soon. But comparing his case to others - Wicks, Packer - I'd say clearance isn't very far away.

I'm not a huge fan at all but was our only player to play every game last year unless I'm mistaken. I think we do need someone on the bench that can cover hooker and second row. Api is not a 80 minute hooker IMO and who knows how Hastings will go if they start him there... Don't get me wrong @BOZO, if they leave Brown out I won't be upset
I understand what you are saying but we need players off the bench that can come on and lift the side and although Brown can fill in the s/row and hooker he only just does that "fill in" . To be a top side again we need players that can come on and dominate and make an impact !!!
Brown is pedestrian at best and he does not lift the side and dominate. Brown is a passenger who like his mate Myles got a free ride on our top 17 last season

I agree Bozo !!! :) .... I was a big fan of the signings of both Myles & Brown ... to say I have been hugely disappointed is an understatement ... we paid big bucks but on last years form they would both be non selections in my 17 ...

I agree Bozo !!! :) .... I was a big fan of the signings of both Myles & Brown ... to say I have been hugely disappointed is an understatement ... we paid big bucks but on last years form they would both be non selections in my 17 ...
fair points. I am more disappointed in Myles than Brown. I thought Brown was average but he had a go at least. Myles just seems like he's well past it for mine and can only hold his own in defense. On form, neither should be in the top 17. We do have to remember that we can't expect each and every player in the team to be a superstar. We need our solid first graders who don't set the world on fire but do their job, and then a sprinkling of high level players throughout the side who can make things happen. I am not concerned about the indivduals in the team, more so, can they gel and perform as a unit on the day. Look at what Bellyache does to park footy players in Melbourne....

My team for round #1 without the benefit of training or trial form would be as follows.

1) Tom
2) Jorge
3) Walker
4) Parker (Has played 4 NRL games out of position and done well)
5) Uate/Kelly (Kelly has yet to play with the big boys.. would have to
be very impressive in trials to get the nod against Parra)
6) Green
7) DCE
13) Jake
12) Winterstein
11) Sironen/Lane (final decision based on trial form)
10) Lussick
9) Api
8) Kapow

14) Hastings
15) AFB
16) Lawrence
17) Myles

We need Kapow in the front row, 2 of the above 2nd rowers need to stand up.

people think he'll go straight in because he is an 83% average goal kicker ... and some people don't appreciate Api

Green will be a big signing. Another option for kicks. Everyone rushed DCE because that's where we always went....

Taupau should get better ball. Walker outside of DCE and maybe Lane sounds dangerous. Kelly for the other centre. Been a while since we have had a lot of pace.

Hastings as hooker too. How many people thought Halligan was a **** player. How many games did he win for the bears and dogs with his goalkicking. Been missing a really good one for a while.

My team for round #1 without the benefit of training or trial form would be as follows.

1) Tom
2) Jorge
3) Walker
4) Parker (Has played 4 NRL games out of position and done well)
5) Uate/Kelly (Kelly has yet to play with the big boys.. would have to
be very impressive in trials to get the nod against Parra)
6) Green
7) DCE
13) Jake
12) Winterstein
11) Sironen/Lane (final decision based on trial form)
10) Lussick
9) Api
8) Kapow

14) Hastings
15) AFB
16) Lawrence
17) Myles

We need Kapow in the front row, 2 of the above 2nd rowers need to stand up.
What has Winterstein done to be rewarded with a start in our top 17 ?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8