Manly Sea Eagles’ best 17 for 2017 NRL season: The signing who could wreak havoc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Of more importance is,

Who will be in the top 17 ( assuming all fit) at the start of round 5.

I say this as I reckon you'll see a few changes from week to week over the first month, especially from the bench to give all a decent crack at FG.
Last season Baz only made changes after the horse has bolted. He persisted with mediocrity way past the point of no return. I suspect his blind faith in certain under performers will continue.

But - you never know hey....

Last season Baz only made changes after the horse has bolted. He persisted with mediocrity way past the point of no return. I suspect his blind faith in certain under performers will continue.

Hopefully he would have learnt from his mistakes

In fairness to Baz I don't think he would have ever dropped Myles or Brown as they were the new recruits brought in.
Brown played out of position all year and still made the Kiwis international side.
Myles had a quiet year, got dropped to the bench on occasion but still made the QLD origin side.

The only one I reckon that really hurt was Walker - but Lyon at 5/8 wasn't long term planning either so probably just poor vision to think Walker could be a half.
Very poor vision to think Walker would be a half because the experiment failed at Souths previously and the type of running player that he is . That decision stalled most
of our season until it finally sunk into our coaching staff thick heads that Walker is wasted at 5/8.
Brown did not play out of position all year as Barrett bought him in to the club for his utility value and he gave us little value . Brown had a poor season . He even stated this him self in a recent article .
As for Myles he is big match player as he always proves what he can do for QLD SOO . Hopefully our team can make the finals so he can produce some big match games for us as well .

From what I can tell Bozo wanted walker at 5/8 so Baz did as told until he had enough
17th Dec 2015....
Walker commented that he is able and ready to fill the vacant five-eighth positon in the star studded Sea Eagles backline if Barrett moves in that direction.

“I would love to play six alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and inside both Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon,’’ Walker said.

“Five-eighth was my favourite position coming through the juniors and if the coach wants me there I will jump at the opportunity.

Very poor vision to think Walker would be a half because the experiment failed at Souths previously and the type of running player that he is . That decision stalled most
of our season until it finally sunk into our coaching staff thick heads that Walker is wasted at 5/8.
Brown did not play out of position all year as Barrett bought him in to the club for his utility value and he gave us little value . Brown had a poor season . He even stated this him self in a recent article .
As for Myles he is big match player as he always proves what he can do for QLD SOO . Hopefully our team can make the finals so he can produce some big match games for us as well .
Gutherson would have done a better job last year as 5/8 than Walker.
Oh that's right

Gutherson would have done a better job last year as 5/8 than Walker.
Oh that's right
Gutherson is no Super star like Tom Turbo
Fact is no club can keep them all but we kept the Super star
1470029223062.jpg

Last edited:

Walker really couldn't be moved until Matai was out for the year. I love Lyon but he really should of been 5/8 from round one but he said no. That would of solved a lot shifting Walker out wide where he should be.
Barrett did have some strange selections through out the year to back your argument. A lot of changes in the forwards that i didn't agree with that disrupted the team a lot. But moving Jake to lock was a positive move with his skill and ability to get through loads of work.

Have to agree to disagree about Brown.
I've always seen Brown at his best doing what he just did for NZ. Coming off the bench creating a bit of spark before and after half time.

For Manly I would say he started more games than came off the bench....?

For Manly he started games at left centre.
He's started games at right centre.
He started games in the 2nd row.

He's not a starting player. He's a bench utitly.
Yes he is a utility and a very ineffective one at that !
I did not see any spark from Brown coming off the bench in the last NZ match . If you look at the highlights Brown was one of the poor defenders that was responsible for one of the Kangaroos tries
We will agree to disagree :)
* I looked for Browns player ratings on the net and it is far from the spark that you have seen when he came on .
*14. Lewis Brown. Tried his best to start something but just isn’t in Luke’s class

Last edited:
Yes he is a utility and a very ineffective one at that !
I did not see any spark from Brown coming off the bench in the last NZ match . If you look at the highlights Brown was one of the poor defenders that was responsible for one of the Kangaroos tries
We will agree to disagree :)

Brown can play football. His biggest advantages are his energy and enthusiasm, coupled with his versatility.
My only problem with him has been as an 80min 2nd rower, rather than a bench player.

Back at the start of last year I wrote the above. Brown has come out and (for reasons) admitted that last year he was down on the 2 main things I valued him for, energy and enthusiasm.

I hope he can turn things around but with our greater depth this year will be competing for a spot. Wouldn't be in my 17 unless we have injuries.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8