Manly Salary Cap Management

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I sense we are saving any cap space available for Fainu pending his court outcome. Otherwise theyll hit the market with that money if he is guilty.

Something doesn't smell right to me guys. In the past two years:

OUT
1. Addin Fonua-Blake (mid contract)
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Luke Metcalf
4. Joel Thompson
5. Corey Waddell
6. Brendan Elliott
7. Danny Levi
8. Tony Williams
9. Sam Smith (mid contract)
10. Cade Cust (mid contract)
11. Moses Suli (mid contract)
12. Kieran Foran
13. Marty Taupau
14. Dylan Walker
15. Jorge Taufua (likely)
16. Morgan Boyle (likely)
17. Manase Fainu (not included in cap)
18. Sione Fainu (mid contract)

INS
1. Josh Aloiai
2. Andrew Davey
3. Jason Saab (from reserve grade)
4. Christian Tuipulotu (from reserve grade)
5. Morgan Harper (from reserve grade)
6. Kelma Tuilagi
7. Karl Lawton

RENEWED
1. Taniela Paseka
2. Sean Keppie (fringe first grader)
3. Ben Trbojevic (fringe first grader)
4. Kaeo Weekes (fringe first grader)
5. Daly Cherry-Evans (heavily reduced contract)
6. Tolutau Koula (fringe first grader)

UNSIGNED AT YEARS END
1. Andrew Davey
2. Manase Fainu

OTHER FACTORS
1. Cap went up $90,000 in 2022 (reduced due to COVID)
2. Cap going up $390,000 in 2023

I find it rather off putting that given these changes, we aren't in the stakes for players in and around the league? I struggle to think we'd be anywhere NEAR salary cap strapped?
I wouldn’t have a clue. I usually go with @Snake on these things. He’s usually on the money (yes, terrible pun intended).
What I do know is @Ryan is the best at setting out a page so professionally. (You know I’m a sucker for bullet points.lol).

Bullemore is an in. Guac is an obvious upgrade and extension you have missed. Of those outs (excluding Walker/Foz/Kapow at end of this season) none of them except Thommo and Suli would have been on anything significant. By the way you can add Funa, Jetski, Miski and Saddler to that out list

I'd say most of our cap space from the outs has gone to hanging onto the young talent and upgrading them and some others we currently have. We've still got 30 players in our squad like every other club, but our cap is lopsided towards 2 or 3 players who aren't giving us value for money for various reasons

Bullemore is an in. Guac is an obvious upgrade and extension you have missed. Of those outs (excluding Walker/Foz/Kapow at end of this season) none of them except Thommo and Suli would have been on anything significant. By the way you can add Funa, Jetski, Miski and Saddler to that out list

I'd say most of our cap space from the outs has gone to hanging onto the young talent and upgrading them and some others we currently have. We've still got 30 players in our squad like every other club, but our cap is lopsided towards 2 or 3 players who aren't giving us value for money for various reasons
Why are we throwing the kitchen sink at unproven young talent though. One good year shouldn't mean a player should get a massive upgrade. I get that haumole and Schuster are keepers.. and probably deserving of little upgrades. But nothing extravagant. Saab on the other hand is a winger, and in my opinion shouldn't be up for renegotiation til contract time. In fact they all signed contracts, they all should be really. If some club wants to pay overs for them, and they don't want to stay come contract time, so be it. We will be strung til Cherry and the turbo bros contracts are up.. but I think we need to follow the same model as Parramatta. They have so much depth, quality at that too. They didn't fold to gutho and he ended up staying when he could of gone elsewhere. We need to bite the bullet, and keep players who want to be here, not just for the paycheck. Like would the turbos of actually left with a more modest offer at the time they were given crazy money? I don't think they would of. We need some backbone. And I bet cherrys cut contract is probably still overs. 100 percent. He would of played us with the Dolphins to get more.

Well summed up. This is precisely the situation we're in.

Why are we throwing the kitchen sink at unproven young talent though. One good year shouldn't mean a player should get a massive upgrade. I get that haumole and Schuster are keepers.. and probably deserving of little upgrades. But nothing extravagant. Saab on the other hand is a winger, and in my opinion shouldn't be up for renegotiation til contract time. In fact they all signed contracts, they all should be really. If some club wants to pay overs for them, and they don't want to stay come contract time, so be it. We will be strung til Cherry and the turbo bros contracts are up.. but I think we need to follow the same model as Parramatta. They have so much depth, quality at that too. They didn't fold to gutho and he ended up staying when he could of gone elsewhere. We need to bite the bullet, and keep players who want to be here, not just for the paycheck. Like would the turbos of actually left with a more modest offer at the time they were given crazy money? I don't think they would of. We need some backbone
I take your point and it is debatable...however, it's common practice across the NRL. It's eat or get eaten. If you don't play the game, you end up losing out to other clubs. The Haas situation is a perfect example. I don't think he should be agitating like he is, but his management think he deserves an upgrade and he hasn't got it, so next thing, he is asking for a release.

I take your point and it is debatable...however, it's common practice across the NRL. It's eat or get eaten. If you don't play the game, you end up losing out to other clubs. The Haas situation is a perfect example. I don't think he should be agitating like he is, but his management think he deserves an upgrade and he hasn't got it, so next thing, he is asking for a release.
In which they have denied, he is under contract. Ikin and Brisbane know by giving in they will ruin the balance of their roster, and not being able to keep other players come renewal. If haas leaves in 2 years time when his contract is up, I think Brisbane will be fine with that. He can go elsewhere, sign for overs and ruin another teams cap, where they probably can't be competitive across the board. Ikin is a smart operator in my opinion. And as much as I hate to say it, Brisbane's revival is well and truly not far away

Will Smith just quit the Titans yesterday.
Just sayin. Don’t shoot the messenger.
He's not the worst back-up half/utility.
Next year our halves are DCE, and Schuster who has played about 2 games as a 5/8, and ... Humphries who has zero NRL experience, and ... anyone? I know some people throw Weekes in as a half but I thought he was a fullback.
I suppse Latu turns 18 some time next year but gee we are looking light on for halves experience.

He's not the worst back-up half/utility.
Next year our halves are DCE, and Schuster who has played about 2 games as a 5/8, and ... Humphries who has zero NRL experience, and ... anyone? I know some people throw Weekes in as a half but I thought he was a fullback.
I suppse Latu turns 18 some time next year but gee we are looking light on for halves experience.
Forwards will be a bit light on too!!

Some of the players in our top 30 list are just there to satisfy the NRL as we have to have 29/30 players. You know Des will never use some of them. Whereas it seems that other teams have 30 at their disposal plus NSW Cup players whereas we don't look at any of them for obvious reasons. Need to focus on the whole squad not just the elite and this can take a few years but when are we going to start?
Who knows how many gaps are to be filled for 2023, how long are Zac Fulton, Sykes, Roumanos, DeLuis, and Fifita signed up for?
Looks like 2023 will be much the same as this year with a couple of budget buys and as keen supporters, we will be looking forward to 2024 squad.

The other thing to consider is that we have 21 out of current top 30 contracted for next year along with 3 development players. Half of those are also contracted for 2024. That's not a bad thing in terms of stability and building partnerships and understanding within the team.

So we have a good solid squad that needs a little injection of some talent. Not sure we are in the market for a marquee player due to cap pressure, but a couple of decent signings and the hope that the young guns will keep improving should see us competitive. How competitive depends on Turbo staying fit and DCE getting some consistency.

Also worth noting is Des is only contracted till end of next season, although I think there is an option there for 2024 which is linked to performance benchmarks (whatever they may be)

IT's
The other thing to consider is that we have 21 out of current top 30 contracted for next year along with 3 development players. Half of those are also contracted for 2024. That's not a bad thing in terms of stability and building partnerships and understanding within the team.

So we have a good solid squad that needs a little injection of some talent. Not sure we are in the market for a marquee player due to cap pressure, but a couple of decent signings and the hope that the young guns will keep improving should see us competitive. How competitive depends on Turbo staying fit and DCE getting some consistency.

Also worth noting is Des is only contracted till end of next season, although I think there is an option there for 2024 which is linked to performance benchmarks (whatever they may be)
It's ok we will be top four next year, only to extend and upgrade everyone including des, not be active in the market and miss the eight again in 24

I know a lot of people on here are down on Des atm, and rightly so. But the only coaches that are available are all failed discards, it's certainly a path that we don't want to walk.

Thanks, updated with the players - love how accurate zero tackle is.

I know a lot of people on here are down on Des atm, and rightly so. But the only coaches that are available are all failed discards, it's certainly a path that we don't want to walk.
I agree to be honest ,I think Des has his hands tied and I am pretty sure one of the reasons that he was signed with us again is that he doesnt have anything to do with signing players because of the drama last time with back ended contracts and lets be honest here, if we can see the problems on the field on here, and we are only fans and him being a top line coach, do you reckon he cant

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8