Manly Premiership 2022 - 2023 or not happening ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Also with the new stand, young team I just have this feeling that if we can sort the 9 problem then we can really give it a great shake

This Manly squad has youth, experience, skill, speed and though lacked that extra resolve in the finals series - maybe this 2021 season has been the platform to hit that next level in the next few seasons.
I also note a few other dominant sides in recent years, are losing a few valuable players and look weakened and if anything, I expect an improved Manly side next season, keep in mind this was a side with basically "new" with Saab, Harper, Foran, Aloiai, Schu, Guoc, Lawton all really only coming together in 2021 making it an even better result for a team many were calling wooden spooners by Round 4....
Not to be a party pooper but I have a feel we are ripe to take the 2023 Premiership, but give 2022 a real shake.
Interested to hear predictions of our "Next" Premiership Win and why ??
I can see Penrith and Souths both going backwards next season. It will be interesting to see if the Scum's club culture issues, don't have some impact on their performance next year as well. I think we will definitely improve our consistency in the regular season, and we will go top four again. I am not confident that we will do much better in the finals though. We are currently lacking in the mongrel intensity and resilience to match the very top sides at the pointy end of the season. If we can fix this issue in 2020, we are a very good chance of going all the way in 2023. Of course my heart says we can win in both years, but my head says that's extremely unlikely. So 2023 it is.

There is a team there that could win the comp next year
The team has to improve there error rate and step up better defensively.If they can rectify those areas in the off season with limited injuries during the season
There is a real chance of winning it
People talk about the window of opportunity, Manly’s window is open while Turbo is fully fit and playing week in week out .

I can see Penrith and Souths both going backwards next season. It will be interesting to see if the Scum's club culture issues, don't have some impact on their performance next year as well. I think we will definitely improve our consistency in the regular season, and we will go top four again. I am not confident that we will do much better in the finals though. We are currently lacking in the mongrel intensity and resilience to match the very top sides at the pointy end of the season. If we can fix this issue in 2020, we are a very good chance of going all the way in 2023. Of course my heart says we can win in both years, but my head says that's extremely unlikely. So 2023 it is.
I agree with you and it starts in my mind 2022 season end Marty won't be retained , a few more others will be let go.

If we can get 2 really hard nosed tough I don't give a s$$t type forwards and actually start hunting as a pack in defence like we did in the 2006-2014 era then we may be a chance.

I think we are about 60% complete squad at the moment we need those 2 or 3 quality signings to take us to that next level.

The only thing which we can't let happen is 2022 be like (2018, 2020) where we had shocking years after playing finals footy the year before. We have to become a more consistent footy side to really be a chance.

Not with croker at 9 and Parker at center. Both are solid players and i like them both but croker is nowhere near Api Smith Grant or Cook. Even Mahoney is much better in attack. Parker is a good defender and runs good lines but he is too slow and lacks x factor. Walker would be the obvious choice but that ship has sailed. Harper i believe will grow and become a great player he has the skill and drive just still raw. He will learn and evolve from those final games. If fainu returns then even with Parker we can win the comp. Souths will not be the same team that ship has sailed, i dont see walker replicating his form this season and no Bennett no sua no benji and no Reynolds.

I agree with you and it starts in my mind 2022 season end Marty won't be retained , a few more others will be let go.

If we can get 2 really hard nosed tough I don't give a s$$t type forwards and actually start hunting as a pack in defence like we did in the 2006-2014 era then we may be a chance.

I think we are about 60% complete squad at the moment we need those 2 or 3 quality signings to take us to that next level.

The only thing which we can't let happen is 2022 be like (2018, 2020) where we had shocking years after playing finals footy the year before. We have to become a more consistent footy side to really be a chance.

I agree with you on the forwards but am not seeing any/many available who we can buy and develop alongside our existing forwards. It seems like most players that would work well in that role are already on long contracts, and/or priced out of our financial capacity. Any thoughts @davohan123 on who could be possible candidates?

I agree with you on the forwards but am not seeing any/many available who we can buy and develop alongside our existing forwards. It seems like most players that would work well in that role are already on long contracts, and/or priced out of our financial capacity. Any thoughts @davohan123 on who could be possible candidates?
I can't think of any that's the real problem.i would of started with Mark Inc from south's and target christian welch from storm which both wont be happening as mark is re signed with souths and welch will be staying at storm.

Felise Kaufusi Siosiua Taukeiaho are both free to negotiate after November 1. Yes they are both older players but would suit our needs perfectly. I don't think we are chance of getting either with both storm and roosters wont be letting either go.

I would be looking over to the super league also.

If we can just get 2 seasoned forwards i think we come straight into title contention , our men just need a leader to follow.

I’m however more pessimistic than many on here so as to winning a Premiership in the next two years I personally can’t see it.

In the lead up to our last 2 premierships we were heavyweights in the market. Take a look at our main purchases leading up to 2008. Its my opinion we got the very best player on the market from 2005 to 2008.

2005 Kite and Kennedy
2006 Orford & Lyon
2007 Bell & Ballin
2008 Perry & Wolfman
2009 TRex
2010 Gulavao

There was of course many others like Bryant, Hall, Rose, Rodney etc etc.who were big contributors.

On top these purchases we developed Watmough, Stewarts x2, Matai, King, Foran, DCE, Buhrer, Hopoate.

I dont think our current squad has anywhere near the required all-round talent to win a comp at the moment. We must get busier in the market but how can we do that with with both Tom and DCE in the squad, and surely we cant win a comp without both of them.Catch 22.

Last edited:
In the lead up to our last 2 premierships we were heavyweights in the market. Take a look at our main purchases leading up to 2008. Its me opinion we got the very best player on the market from 2005 to 2008.

2005 Kite and Kennedy
2006 Orford & Lyon
2007 Bell & Ballin
2008 Perry & Wolfman
2009 TRex
2010 Gulavao

There was of course many others like Bryant, Hall, Rose, Rodney etc etc.who were big contributors.

On top these purchases we developed Watmough, Stewarts x2, Matai, King, Foran, DCE, Buhrer, Hopoate.

I dont think our current squad has anywhere near the required all-round talent to win a comp at the moment. We must get busier in the market but how can we do that with with both Tom and DCE in the squad, and surely we cant win a comp without both of them.Catch 22.
Well said and yes until we get more active specially in the forward market plus a decent 9 if our one doesn’t get off and found not guilty.

I am so appreciative to have lived through that 2005-2014 era that was one special squad and as you said right now we are light years away from even been close to that squad. Until we do mature as a squad and start getting our salary cap in order I think we are short of truly competing for a title.

My feeling has always been 2023 for a Manly premiership, as Penrith still have a young side and even barring departures or injury, they still have amazing bak-up strength.

In 2022, we will ‘blood’ a lot of young players (just my opinion) to get them ready for other player departures and having to fill the gap.

Players like Tippytoes and Koula will be ready, or should be ready for 1st Grade and Schuster will be at 6.

Burbo is bound to be in the mix somewhere and the forward pack will basically be complete and as is, except for Marty.

Just my thoughts

I think our biggest problem was being unwilling or unable to smash and grind the top teams down when we needed to. As opposed to letting our backs create something out of nothing which we did so well against lesser teams.

A 2022 premiership is possible if the stars align, but I'm not convinced we have the right squad balance at the moment.

Certain players can take you so far
We need an upgrade performance on certain positions and we know which ones they are
As the step up to the finesse of finals footy has proved to us......

Predictable hookers and passive centres are a liability
Foz did well to last the whole season but he is not the whole Foz any more
Foz did not have the spark of the other sparkling young 5/8's in the finals
Time for the sparkling Shoe to fit into the 5/8 position
The Raging Bull will inspire some mongrel in our pack

The moral of the story
Without change . Nothing changes

A New change for the better The Raging Bull Ethan Bullermore
bullemore-article.jpg

The Premiership window is wide open after this season, if we get some more luck with injuries, learn from this year's final's series, be ready to play that defensive grind game whilst also play with this exciting attack, we have the potential to do it soon. Exciting times ahead for us Manly fans.

I thought we had a premiership porthole this season and may have jagged a trophy that we probably didnt quite deserve. Thats cool we have deserved them before and been pipped so it could have been a karma catchup

i dont see us improving on 4th. honestly we could struggle to make the 8 if tom gets an injury

until we have more facets of our game to rely on, when plan A doesnt work, we will be making up numbers. start of season it seems depth was going to be an issue but harper, keppie, huamole, sipley, de luis, and the shoe were among our best and it seems depth will be a tad better next season for the experience.

we fell down in control, ball security. possession, kicking, patience and a desire to avoid the grind at all costs . I wrote we started our first semi the way we ended the cowboys game . that attitude is the issue

how are we to improve in these areas without key changes to the spine and/or leadership

it appears we only trot out the kicking game when all else fails and the over reliance on Tom has made our halves accessories to the game day result unless its 12 all with a minute to go

These key areas need to be addressed if we want to become contenders , just ask girdler. he knows stuff

with current squad , foz needs to be key playmaker and possibly captain . while he has injuries deep down there is the follow me bloke that needs it one more time. DCE needs to kick through a new pair of boots weekly and back up. but he needs to get serious about the kicking game. At least half our kicks are mid field bombs that after 3 years they have amounted to diddly squat return. some are due to field position but many are due to his positioning out of harms way

if you take position on the blind side 50m out, flat footed with most of the team offside its hard to chose any other kick option. That is an easy fix, just watch every other halfback in the competition

DCE made a name for himself as a sniper really. He stayed in the background with foz, gifty snake and jamie leading the team and struck when no one expected it. He was great at it, very quick off the mark, and in the clear makes good decisions

he needs way less touches, way more kicking and some self control. hopefully new roles may help with that, because its not morphing on its own

I thought we had a premiership porthole this season and may have jagged a trophy that we probably didnt quite deserve. Thats cool we have deserved them before and been pipped so it could have been a karma catchup

i dont see us improving on 4th. honestly we could struggle to make the 8 if tom gets an injury

until we have more facets of our game to rely on, when plan A doesnt work, we will be making up numbers. start of season it seems depth was going to be an issue but harper, keppie, huamole, sipley, de luis, and the shoe were among our best and it seems depth will be a tad better next season for the experience.

we fell down in control, ball security. possession, kicking, patience and a desire to avoid the grind at all costs . I wrote we started our first semi the way we ended the cowboys game . that attitude is the issue

how are we to improve in these areas without key changes to the spine and/or leadership

it appears we only trot out the kicking game when all else fails and the over reliance on Tom has made our halves accessories to the game day result unless its 12 all with a minute to go

These key areas need to be addressed if we want to become contenders , just ask girdler. he knows stuff

with current squad , foz needs to be key playmaker and possibly captain . while he has injuries deep down there is the follow me bloke that needs it one more time. DCE needs to kick through a new pair of boots weekly and back up. but he needs to get serious about the kicking game. At least half our kicks are mid field bombs that after 3 years they have amounted to diddly squat return. some are due to field position but many are due to his positioning out of harms way

if you take position on the blind side 50m out, flat footed with most of the team offside its hard to chose any other kick option. That is an easy fix, just watch every other halfback in the competition

DCE made a name for himself as a sniper really. He stayed in the background with foz, gifty snake and jamie leading the team and struck when no one expected it. He was great at it, very quick off the mark, and in the clear makes good decisions

he needs way less touches, way more kicking and some self control. hopefully new roles may help with that, because its not morphing on its own
I see your point with needing a plan B

Tommy is our plan A

and when he is not available or contained

We had no plan B

I see your point with needing a plan B

Tommy is our plan A

and when he is not available or contained

We had no plan B
its human nature to ignore details when you are winning, and its too late to start again when you start losing

we need a basic game to follow so everyone knows what to do. It also need to be in the front line.

its human nature to ignore details when you are winning, and its too late to start again when you start losing

we need a basic game to follow so everyone knows what to do. It also need to be in the front line.
There is one thing knowing what to do and another in having the ability to do it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4