Manly Player Ratings - Rd 4

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
That was a gutsy win yesterday against a previously undefeated Souffs.

But anyway, here are my player ratings for the game.

Tom Trbojevic 7/10 - What can you say? Brilliant again until he pulled up lame.

Jorge Taufua 8/10 - Jorge caught 5/5 yesterday and ran the ball hard. Why can't it be like that all the time?

Brendan Elliot 7/10 - Did well at centre and was safe as the old Bank of England when forced back to fullback.

Brad Parker 7/10 - Dropped a couple of early balls, but was strong for the rest of the game. Needs to stop rushing out of the defensive line.

Reuben Garrick 7/10 - This kid is a keeper. Missed a tackle that led to a try, but was otherwise strong. And he showed that he does have the speed when he raced across in cover from the far wing. Would love to see him with the ball in open space and no one in front of him. Addo-Carr aside, I don't think many in the NRL would catch him.

Kane Elgey 7/10 - Got a lot more involved in attack yesterday, especially after Tom's injury. And his defence was 100% better than last week. Not sure why some were bagging his game yesterday because I thought he played well.

Daly Cherry Evans 9/10 - Myth? Not worth his salary? Not on your life. That's 5 times he has kicked a field goal in Golden Point, more than anyone else in history.

Addin Fonua-Blake 9/10 - Best prop in the game right now. The guy is an absolute beast.

Api Koroisau 6/10 - Passing from dummy half is still a big worry, but couldn't fault his defence and it was Api who gave the perfect dummy half pass to DCE for his winning field goal.

Martin Taupau 9/10 - Like his front row partner is killing it for running and post contact metres.

Joel Thompson 8/10 - The old bloke is going well right now isn't he.

Curtis Sironen 8/10 - Ran strongly and tackled well yesterday. He's also starting to offload more, something we missed last year without him.

Jake Trbojevic 10/10 - Our defence won that game yesterday and none were better than Jake. He was awesome.

Manase Fainu 8/10 - This kid isn't a star in the making, he IS a star.

Jack Gosiewski 8/10 - Playing mostly in the unfamiliar position of centre, Jack stood up yesterday. He's not a back, but he played like one with the added bonus of tackling like a back rower.

Corey Waddell 5/10 - Did OK until getting his head in the wrong position while trying to tackle Tom Burgess and went on a trip to Disneyland.

Toafofoa Sipley 7/10 - Sips played well yesterday. Nothing spectacular, just did his job and did it well.

Our defence won us that game yesterday. As The Moose would have said, no risk about it. We coughed up so much possession that Souffs should have put 50 on us.....at least. And in 2018 that more than likely would have happened. But even though we've had 2 losses in the 4 games played so far, and despite having largely the same playing roster as last year, its obvious that this is a totally different team under Des Hasler in 2019. We're not turning up our toes at the slightest show of fight from the opposition, we're keeping up the fight and yesterday tackled ourselves to almost exhaustion. It would have been so easy for us to drop our bundle when Tom went off, but we didn't. We showed a lot of heart to not only haul in Souffs lead, but go on to win the game.

Will we do it tough over the next month or so without Turbo? Probably, but if yesterday is any sort of a guide then write us off at your peril.

And as a team performance I give them 9.5 for attitude and defense and only 1.5 for attack and ball control .....

So a team rating of 5.5 .... . but it was enough to get the biscuits against a pretty ordinary Souff's .....

They played with so much heart

Would love to see what Elgey and Elliot can do when they gain some real confidence!

For a 5/8 Elgey hasn't imposed himself on any of the four matches yet. He's not running the ball, he's not often kicking the ball, he is just catching and passing.
He needs to be more involved, especially now that our main attacking weapon will be sidelined for 4-6 weeks.
I didn't see Croker play yesterday but I read that he was impressive so we do have an alternative if Egley doesn't step up.

60% completion :eek:
47% possession :tmi:
19 handling errors :fubar:
2 man bench :confused:
Playing an undefeated Team
Game goes to extra time :sweating:

Chez kicks his 19th field goal :party:

#UnderTheRadar
I think there was a period when only Api was on the reserve bench with Duck and Kapow doing HIAs, and Turbo off for good.
I also thought that Api sustained an injury and, if so, it was a great effort from him to return to the field and help out his struggling teammates.

And as a team performance I give them 9.5 for attitude and defense and only 1.5 for attack and ball control .....

So a team rating of 5.5 .... . but it was enough to get the biscuits against a pretty ordinary Souff's .....

No argument there mate. With the ball in hand we were horrible for the most part. But our defence won that game and we forced Souffs into almost as many errors and didn't allow them to take control of the game. The commitment we showed in defence, led by Jake, was awesome.

LG is still worrying about his role. Needs to relax and back his instincts :nerd:

He is growing in confidence though and that can only be a good thing. He's got talent, he just needs to show it consistently and that was his big problem at the Titans. He'd have one good game and then go missing for a few, kinda like their version of Tom Wright. If he can show consistency at Manly then I have no problems keeping him at pivot.

Remember Croker was also playing a very limited role at the beginning last year ......... very interesting ....
I'm not technically proficient in league, but LG could also be lacking in ball handling due to the hookers feeling more confident in serving Chez.

After 4 games the only glaring issue is LG's arm grabbing tackles. He does not gave the upper body mass to drag a player down.
Again, easily addressed by Des @:cool:

That LG looks like he has got some zip to him ... would like to see him back himself a bit more ... he's got the acceleration to to stand most defenders up ...
Agreed, we saw him do this last year vs manly. I think next week is a good time for him to come out of his shell.

Remember Croker was also playing a very limited role at the beginning last year ......... very interesting ....

Difference is though, and no offence to Lachlan Croker, but we all know that all things being equal he should never have been playing first grade last year when he did, it should have been Jackson Hastings in the halves. But things weren't equal as we know and Hastings was never going to be any more than a bench player while Barrett was in charge which put Croker into the 5/8 role before he was really ready.

LG has got proven first grade ability, even if its been inconsistently shown so far in his career.

The good thing from my PoV is that when Tom went off injured yesterday, LG stepped up his involvement in attack and became more prominent. Our attack is blunted when Tom isn't there and we need our play makers, especially when the forwards are giving them the room they need, to step up. LG didn't do the spectacular yesterday, but he certainly took on a bigger role when it was needed. Hopefully with more confidence he can more consistently show the talent that he has got.

A game definitely won with attitude over finesse and execution.
Both sides affected by the heat I think.

A game definitely won with attitude over finesse and execution.
Both sides affected by the heat I think.

And what stands out there is the difference with largely the same players as last year. Under that fraud Ferris we were no where near fit enough last year. This year after just 6 months under Donny, they have already shown just how much fitter they are and that was shown clearly yesterday in 1987 Grand Final like weather conditions.

They have already shown that they are mentally tougher this year, and the greater level of fitness is a big part of that.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8