Manly need a 'good dose of Ken Arthurson' after latest drama: Lowe

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We have serious problems and need to Jetesen the dinosaurs and incompetent fools asap.
Wouldn't be a bad start.

But when you get down to it, it is not so easy to describe our traditional 'Manly culture.’ Thoughts go immediately to Arko, Beaver, & Tooves.

But how about other iconic club figures such as Bozo and Zorba? They are more divisive types, but equally steeped in and representative of whatever is the 'Manly culture'.

How about Choc Watmough? Definitely a key figure in our recent culture. I suppose we could say he debuted for the Northern Eagles, but in reality, I can’t think of anyone more Sea Eagle than Choc over the past 15 years - and his ‘culture’ permits publicly bad-mouthing the club and an ex-teammate.

We’d love to think the Manly culture embodies admirable qualities like professionalism, play hard but fair, strive for excellence, attractive attacking footy, clean cut etc.

And it does but there’s also ruthlessness, manipulation (including nepotism), and playing politics (also known as back-stabbing) and this dates a hell of a lot further back than the Penn’s.

The spotlight is on our failings (admittedly there’s plenty of them) because we are having a bad season.

Our bad season is related to the salary cap bust and that would be the most spectacular fail by the Penns but in fairness that is still under appeal.

Interesting quote from DCE;

"The best thing I got out of Tooves was understanding how important the club should mean to you, and how every time you wear the jersey you represent more than just yourself.

"He certainly ingrained in me what that club stands for and how proud a club it is. Every time I put on the Manly jersey I know that Geoff Toovey was a big part of why I go out there and play as passionately as I do."

https://www.smh.com.au/news/news/king-facing-drink-driving-charge/2007/08/15/1186857588302.html

2009 Watmough harasses girl, punches a sponsor (Manly boozy season launch) 2009

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...58121bb2e?sv=8cc6bcb67c5acf4ba2782ddc030ebd8a

2011 Watmough & Seu Seu charged for public urination

And Watmough had the gall to come out and say DCE turned into a f***wit?

Stones and glass houses my friend......stones and glass houses.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Choc as a Manly player and have the utmost respect for him in that regard because he was a true warrior who spilt his blood, sweat and tears as well as wreaking havoc on his body for this club. But he's hardly a credible one to label someone else as a f***wit.

Last edited:
It’s not the 1970’s either everyone , Arko would be in EXACTLY the same boat as Gormon would be in.

No Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat or Twitter back then.

And the journos were only interested in who won and who might next week.

Sadly a different world today!!

Also N R L players in past eras were not virtually full time professionals and had day jobs , in contrast to the modern era and with quite a bit of idle time available for most players . No excuses for unacceptable conduct [ and not including some that may have not been revealed ] that players from all clubs have indulged in but taking into account that in any given recent season that there are in excess of some combined 500 odd players in the N R l ' s top squads and they are simply part of and a reflection of contemporary society , really inevitable unfortunately that the N R l is going to have their share of player misdemeanors , foolish behaviour and poor judgement mentality , especially by the younger age group . Just even more important for the player education programmes to continue and role models and leadership action to hopefully play their part to assist with obviously again is a problem for all sections of society and not just the N R L .

Think a big part of the perceived or traditional Manly culture has not only been the association with success but also striving for success both on and off the field . I think that particularly this season at a playing , coaching and administrative level that of course things could certainly have been better . .But hey, the recent win and team spirit and unity displayed against the Panthers was really good , the coaching input and front office can always do and should be capable of doing better and.i would still prefer to have the glass half full and positive outlook for the remainder of the season and there after .

Every one in our club is responsible including the coaches . Every one is playing their role .
I don't think Penn trains , selects players or makes any game plans for the team

I think you might be wrong there, the player selection is certainly not just up to the coach.

It’s not the 1970’s either everyone , Arko would be in EXACTLY the same boat as Gormon would be in.

No Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat or Twitter back then.

And the journos were only interested in who won and who might next week.

Sadly a different world today!!

And remember, back then opening the cheque book to buy or retain players wasn't like it is today. With no salary cap in those days, the sky was the limit really with what you could afford. And at the time Manly could afford the best, though Arko had a knack of getting players to play here often for less than what they could get elsewhere, something that isn't part of the club these days because of what is going on.

Also N R L players in past eras were not virtually full time professionals and had day jobs , in contrast to the modern era and with quite a bit of idle time available for most players . No excuses for unacceptable conduct [ and not including some that may have not been revealed ] that players from all clubs have indulged in but taking into account that in any given recent season that there are in excess of some combined 500 odd players in the N R l ' s top squads and they are simply part of and a reflection of contemporary society , really inevitable unfortunately that the N R l is going to have their share of player misdemeanors , foolish behaviour and poor judgement mentality , especially by the younger age group . Just even more important for the player education programmes to continue and role models and leadership action to hopefully play their part to assist with obviously again is a problem for all sections of society and not just the N R L .

On Saturday night I got bored and needed a Manly fix (still too cheap to get Foxtel so no league to watch, though I do have Netflix lol). So, out came the video (yes, its a VHS) of the 1987 Grand Final. After Cliffy scored the opening try, Ch.10 brought up a caption that gave his particulars, including what his 9 to 5 job was, which was listed at that time as Cellerman.

Even into the 1980s when the better players were starting to get paid good money to play in the NSWRL, money that was becoming far more than the average punter got for working 40 hours per week, players still had day jobs. These days, while they do have a lot more training, recovery sessions and other commitments such as sponsors etc, most of the players are fully professional in that league is their only line of work.

And remember, back then opening the cheque book to buy or retain players wasn't like it is today. With no salary cap in those days, the sky was the limit really with what you could afford. And at the time Manly could afford the best, though Arko had a knack of getting players to play here often for less than what they could get elsewhere, something that isn't part of the club these days because of what is going on.

... and I once knew a bloke, who had a mate, who's cousin once dated someone who once knew a guy who used to see players getting to hold the bags of 20cent pieces from the pokies .......

PSS .... @Boz thanks for telling me what Ken was like and what he would do, seeing you weren't even born, you must of learnt a lot fro watching your fathers VHS.

I am a proud financial member of this great club of ours and I don't tolerate mediocre .
I think you might be wrong there, the player selection is certainly not just up to the coach.
The coaching staff has a big say . Bigger than you think feathered friend

I think he means the club currently being a basket case, as well as poor on field results.

That is not the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles we know and love.

... and I once knew a bloke, who had a mate, who's cousin once dated someone who once knew a guy who used to see players getting to hold the bags of 20cent pieces from the pokies .......

PSS .... @Boz thanks for telling me what Ken was like and what he would do, seeing you weren't even born, you must of learnt a lot fro watching your fathers VHS.

You are always welcome Woodsie . My dad taught me to always be obliging . My dad taught me a lot. He taught me about the great Manly great cluture under the great Ken Aurthurson and that mediocrity should never be tolerated
What did you dad teach you feathered friend ? Would you like to share ?

You are always welcome Woodsie . My dad taught me to always be obliging . My dad taught me a lot. He taught me about the great Manly great cluture under the great Ken Aurthurson and that mediocrity should never be tolerated
What did you dad teach you feathered friend ? Would you like to share ?

... on of the things he taught me was to not try and teach Grandma how to suck eggs .......

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2