Manly - least missed tackles in 2022?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"

11. SEA EAGLES

Round 1 predicted starting pack:
8. Sean Keppie 9. Lachlan Croker 10. Josh Aloiai 11. Haumole Olakau’atu 12. Kelma Tuilagi 13. Jake Trbojevic

Full pack: Josh Aloiai, Ethan Bullemor, Ben Condon, Viliame Fifita, Sean Keppie, Karl Lawton, Lachlan Croker, Haumola Olakau’atu, Taniela Paseka, Josh Schuster, Toafofoa Sipley, Ben Trbojevic, Jake Trbojevic, Kelma Tuilagi, Alec Tu’itavake, Morgan Boyle, Zac Fulton, Nathaniel Roache

Ins: Kelma Tuilagi (Wests Tigers), Ben Condon (Cowboys), Nathaniel Roache (Eels)

Outs: Martin Taupau (unsigned), Andrew Davey (unsigned), Dylan Walker (Warriors)

"Analysis: The Sea Eagles forward pack will be mentored by a new coach this season after Anthony Seibold was hired following Des Hasler’s sacking.

Manly’s pack fell victim to a late-season slide following the pride jersey saga and key players were out of form and struggling including Josh Aloiai and Haumole Olakau’atu.

But in 2023 the Sea Eagles pack will be desperate to start fresh and two new faces are set to make their debut – Kelma Tuilagi and Ben Condon.

Tuilagi is a straight replacement for Andrew Davey on the left edge, while Condon will likely take Marty Taupau’s bench spot, who remains unsigned.

Lachlan Croker will only improve after a career-best season, winning the club’s Player of the Year award in 2022.

Meanwhile, club stalwart Jake Trbojevic will also remain at lock alongside Olakau’atu and Aloiai who will be desperate to fire.

In positive signs, Manly had the least missed tackles of any team in 2023 and will be hoping to continue that trend."

While I'm glad that we will have had the least missed tackles next year (good crystal ball typo, Fox Sports), it does raise a couple of points.

If our tackle efficiency was so good this past season (thanks, Des), our other metrics must have been well off the pace to finish where we did; line breaks, post-contact metres, time in possession, etc.

Many of us have been bemoaning our pack's lack of attacking threat, particularly in the latter half of this season, and not without cause. However, it's also shown that our backs have not been able to dig us out of that hole either, unless the forwards can lay a superior platform.

Bottom line - as we're suspecting, we need players to improve across the board (and stay healthy) to get a better result than we did in season 2022.

PS - interesting that Fox Sports has Keppie as starter, when so many here have nominated Paseka. Whoever it is, they will have to step up more than they have so far.

Manly had the least missed tackles of any team
Yeah I saw that, but it was an article about forwards so not sure if they mean the whole team.
If true it is certainly an interesting stat, though I have no idea what it suggests. Our players all know how to tackle but maybe not where to stand???
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

This is a product of Des not embracing the new normal of 2 high tacklers followed by a third around the legs. He preferred 1 around the middle and 2nd man to prevent the offload with no 3rd man. Wouldn't be surprised if we also allowed the quickest average PTB speed because of this.
We got smashed in the ruck for this reason. We couldn’t keep up with the pace of the game because of how often we where in the back foot in defence.

It's because we were playing touch footy and just had to get a fingertip on them - get palmed off - and still were rewarded with a tackle

This is a product of Des not embracing the new normal of 2 high tacklers followed by a third around the legs. He preferred 1 around the middle and 2nd man to prevent the offload with no 3rd man. Wouldn't be surprised if we also allowed the quickest average PTB speed because of this.
Was literally the most frustrating out-dated tactics to watch. We actually couldn't even stop the offloads, and the idea was to have an extra man in the defensive line, yet we were caught short on the edges literally every set due to the opposition's continued momentum advantage. Before the 6 agains came in, Des was quite successful with this because his players knew to give away a penalty to halt the other team, grab a breather and re-set the line (plus quality players who could do this). How the hell did he not adapt? Just thinking about it makes my blood boil

Counting missed tackles can be deceiving. I use to watch Api fly out of the line making an "ineffective" tackle but it slowed the attack enough for the ball to be stopped by the next defenders. He would end up with a very high count of missed tackles but resulted in the team defending well.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2