Manly in the EPL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I have an open mind on this one.  There are several candidates for "most hated".  Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal are the obvious candidates.

I personally believe Chelsea lack the long-term pedigree to be considered.  They're really just a recent flash in the pan cobbled together by Russian mafia money.

Leaves it between Arseanl and Man U, thought there might be others I've not thought of.

Leeds were up there with these teams about 15 years ago, ran into admin problems, got into financial difficulties and in three years found themselves shifting from the Uefa Cup to League One, where they currently languish, hoping for a return to the glory days. As a big spending Yorkshire Club, not too many cried when they almost disappeared.

We all hated Leeds. One of the greatest pleasures was seeing them sink to obscurity and if they were still there they would be a prime candidate.

Arsenal is 'our' team and being London based it is hard to label them an outright favorite although there is a solid pedigree for being silvertails, and realistically Wegner is too nice a guy at the helm for so long to make them my choice.

But there is agenuine hatred enjoyed by the real front runner. To truely qualify it has to be a dominant team of never ending might that has a strong dose of contempt for everyone else, gets up everyone's nose on a weekly basis and fires a constant barrage of whinges. Please step forward ManU to accept your award.

it is clear to see who is the english football fan here and who isn't.. Where ManlyBacker used the term ManU as a term of hatred, Matabele merely used it as a abbreviation. ManU is not to be substituted for Man Utd or Utd unless of course you are associated with the taunts that go along with it and therefore hate Manchester United.

The most hated team, well i wouldn't say Man Utd is as 5% of the worlds population support them. (good ol china and india). They currently probably have the most hated player in there team, Ronaldo. But you look at the Manager and out of the relative abyss of the 70's and 80's man utd in order to return to winning ways bought SAF from Aberdeen where he won a scottish cup and a ?european cup winners cup?. SAF then had a knack at building top quality sides using the talent from the youth system while buying players that fitted in with the team structure (remember larson).

Arsenal on the other hand are french and were the first english team ever to not have one english player on the starting team or on the bench for a league fixture.

There is a first division team that i have heard is hated by all but a few, ManlyBacker would know who they are because every time they play another london team all hell breaks loose and are believed to be the source for some very violent football movies. i believe they have 'wall' in their name? can't remember them at the moment.

ManU is supported by 5% of the world's population but hated by the other 95%.

The hatred in soccer is something to behold. A West Ham supporter one year was hoping his team would lose to Liverpool and be relegated as it would then mean that Arsenal would not win the comp, he hated the other London Club so much. We hate Parra but over there it is endemic and so much more ingrained.

I hate Tottenham but they are the Eels of the League, or maybe the Rabbits if you want to count the success of their earlier years.

Lovable losers.

with regards to winning, i would say that parra is like the pool, dominate in the 80's, still around in the 90's but never going to win a premiership again.

Ronaldo 4 goals from 2 matches.

CW it is estimated that 250 million people support Man Utd therefore 5%. it is quite incredible to think, i doubt the there would be equal number of haters as there wouldn't nearly that many who cared enough to hate them.

I would only wish that Man Utd would have a chance at buying Gerrard as i think he is the best in world along side rooney, messi and vieri and puyol as  a defender. Any see that FA cup final against West Ham where he scored from 30 out in injury time to take it to extra time. absolute brilliance. Rooney is quality for the work that he does as a forward defender, he sets his team mates up, scores sparatically and rarely you see him have a bad game. Messi, he is just so skilled and controls any game for any team from midfield, just the same as vieri i guess. Puyol, he has got such sweet timing and positioning in defence that i would call him the Snake of football.

BTW is ronaldo worth $150 million dollars??

Zep link said:
CW it is estimated that 250 million people support Man Utd therefore 5%. it is quite incredible to think, i doubt the there would be equal number of haters as there wouldn't nearly that many who cared enough to hate them.

245 million of those were Liverpool supporters in the 1980s

I followed Arsenal as a kid, it was my Grand fathers team, and everytime we saw him in England he drilled it into me a bit.

However I followed Crystal palace with my heart, but after finally concluding they will never again grace the EPL or for any longer than a 2 year stretch I have gone back to Arsenal.

I doubt they are hated, people disliked their boring style of football years ago, but they have evolved a lot since then.

For me, I am not a big fan of Man U or Everton everyone else I am indifferent too

Dan

Outside of the huge purchases by Chelsea, Man UTD (there you go!) have one of the greatest line-ups of talent ever assembled. I wish Rooney had stayed at Everton but he is a huge star and I would have him at the Gooners, despite his gold tap fixtures. Ronaldo is worth every euro, and despite his upsetting those poor, poor English supporters, he is in my opinion almost the best player in the world. I don't say that often. Thierry Henry was the one for a long time.

CW, the West Ham/Gunners fixtures are the local derby (like Utd/City) and are sold out seasons in advance. I'm not surprised that a Hammer would say that :)

Still, there is no team I would rather see the Gunners beat than Fergie's erm you know and we get that chance this coming weekend. I just don't understand them offloading Hleb as he held the midfield together the best since Vierra left. Should be a good game but the Gunners aren't performing at the moment.

Dan link said:
I followed Arsenal as a kid,
  I didn;t realise you had a bit of class about you.

Arsenal were the first *ever* team I chose and supported.  Back in 1978 I'd say, pretty much since when I learned to read.  I then discovered my father supports Hotspurs.  My selection must have ripped his heart out. 

London club poofs. You got what you deserved!!! Chelski as a powerhouse!!!

Reminds me of the old two Ronnies Joke:

English clubs have been low key at the FA announcement that clubs will take on a logos an item associated with their name. Chelsea will have a bun, Liverpool will have a liver, Crystal Palace are in two minds and Arsenal have declined to comment.

lolz... starting to shape into a tight thrilling race for the title... My money is on another england club lifting the UEFA CL as it seems that they are playing more higher skilled games than what i have seen from Serie A and Spain.

Dan link said:
I doubt they are hated, people disliked their boring style of football years ago, but they have evolved a lot since then.

I dislike Arsenal, but then again I'm a Spurs supporter, so that's only natural :p

COYS!

The Gunners had 70% of possession and couldn't find the net in their Champions League game against Fenerbahce. Only Fabregas and van Persie were firing. So many injuries at the moment especially up front. We may get Man Utd this weekend but it will take almost a miracle.

Absolutely fabulous game and even more brilliant result. Sunday is looking like a fantastic day! :) United looked slightly off their game where it counts in front, but all honours with the Gooners for toughing it out. Someone please trade Bendtner as Adebayor was right, he doesn't deserve to tie his laces. Still, it is hard not be happy with a great victory.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2