Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
I think people (myself included) are over reacting a fair bit, from the senior management right down to the fans.

Does anyone not think injuries and plain old bad luck had anything to do with the end result. Bare with me and please read on.

We lost our best player in round 11, in a match we were very unlucky to lose 22-20 vs Eels.

3 weeks later we blew that winning lead vs Cowboys to lose 26-28.

The next week we almost blew a good half time lead vs Storm to win 36-30.

Covid hits round 19 vs Dragons at a bogey venue.

Round 20 sees 10 players elect not to play because they dont like the jersey we are going to wear vs Chooks and we get beaten by just 10 points.

Round 21 we are 14-14 all vs Eels and fade to get beaten 36-20.

The last 3 rounds were totally injury riddled with Jake and Garrick going down after the round 22 game.

So without Tommy we beat the Storm, and get pipped by Cowboys once and the Eels twice.

Without Toms injury (vs Eels) and the jersey saga (vs Chooks) we win those two matches and its season on.

Everyone needs to get a grip, take a deep breath and stick together. Calling to sack this bloke and that coach and the winger and the next prop is way over the top.

Lets get some new blood in to replace the departing players, maybe add to the coaching or training personnel.

There is no reason with a decent run of luck we cant finish in the top half again next year.
Sure, there's been some promising signs. But, that is the story for the last decade... promise followed by disappointment. We have fluctuating seasons that just reiterates our inconsistency. The only consistency we have demonstrated is injury tolls and inept administration. Our ongoing injury challenges have happened so often it has to be questioned... especially when you have a prominent doctor leave the club over the issue.

I don't think changing the coach or a raft of players ends the issues. We have a problem in how we are run as a club. It is amateurish and embarrassing. We have gotten away with it so long, but as the game grows we look further and further irrelevant to this game. I grew up loving this club and have strong emotional bonds as I'm sure we all do here... but, i have no desire continuing to pour time and energy into this club if it does not make some effort to bring itself into the 21st century, take the game seriously and treat the fans with respect.

Sure, there's been some promising signs. But, that is the story for the last decade... promise followed by disappointment. We have fluctuating seasons that just reiterates our inconsistency. The only consistency we have demonstrated is injury tolls and inept administration. Our ongoing injury challenges have happened so often it has to be questioned... especially when you have a prominent doctor leave the club over the issue.

I don't think changing the coach or a raft of players ends the issues. We have a problem in how we are run as a club. It is amateurish and embarrassing. We have gotten away with it so long, but as the game grows we look further and further irrelevant to this game. I grew up loving this club and have strong emotional bonds as I'm sure we all do here... but, i have no desire continuing to pour time and energy into this club if it does not make some effort to bring itself into the 21st century, take the game seriously and treat the fans with respect.
1,000,000%

The only senior players out there recently would be Dce, Marty and foz, maybe walker. All the rest couldn’t be considered senior players. My money is on Marty, Dce tends to accept blame on behalf of the team.

DCE is happy to accept the blame and kudos for anything that goes on at Manly as he knows is very well paid so has to accept the bad and the good.

If we are going to poach anyone, it should be a defensive coach, from the Storm/Bellamy mold; even though all of us Manly punters vehemently hate what they do, have a look at our +/- PD; we are 5th worst on the ladder with a negative 105 pts, but everyone in the top 8 are positive.

We have to join the dark world and start playing a much more tougher style. We can no longer be "goody two shoes"- we have to give EVERYONE a REAL reason to HATE MANLY.

We are being penalised like hell anyway, so let's gain some advantage by slowing down the ruck with "current day" practices, even if it means initially appointing a tough "sacrificial lamb" to do the dirty work.

A bench containing a different "lamb" each week can extend the impact until the opposition attack starts looking for us coming on each tackle.

So the Turbo’s are thinking about quitting as well.

Gee the cupboard might be very bare in 2023.
I'm highly doubtful they would ever leave, however with both those salaries we could re stock those cupboards hard in 2024! 😄

And no that doesn't mean I want them to leave btw

Take DCE too and we free up $3.3mil. Might be the best thing to happen. Buy some decent hard arse forwards but Won't happen. No one else would be stupid enough to pay $1.1mil for a 6 game/yr porcelain man and $900K for his Labrador brother.

Last edited:

They won’t move but no one even the turbos are bigger than the club

i want them to stay and win multiple premierships like most on here but if they are not happy then there are other teams they can play for.

i am not saying I personally want either to leave.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8