Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
What part of our current culture are you desperate to keep .. ?

Successful teams create their own culture ...
And sooner or later (preferably sooner, but more likely much, much later), a coach without "Manly DNA" is going to have success coaching this club. Nobody wants a repeat performance of the Barrett circus, but just because it hasn't worked before doesn't mean it's never going to. Right now, however, the club would not be an attractive destination for any coach, good or bad. Mestrov has to make that change.

Last edited:
No shock really, Mestrov will be a lame duck if he doesn't wrest some power back from control-freak 'Mr Des-is-Manly'. Probably key support staff such as Donnie in the firing line. Mestrov will win, because he has no-where to go if he loses.
While Des may have too much power, I still want him to be the dominant voice.

Not so much because he's 'Des Hasler' and 'Des is manly', but more because the last thing an inconsistent club needs is a 'boardroom coach'; where 15 different people wrestle over ideas.

We need to keep a uniform direction imo, and the players that are stopping the flow should go. But even if I'd rather have Des running the ship, it is still important he gets some some new faces around him to keep that direction in check. Sounds like Mestrov and co. are trying to shake things up a bit, which is good, but I do hope they keep it steady at the end of the day.

And sooner or later (preferably sooner, but more likely much, much later), a coach without "Manly DNA" is going to have success coaching this club. Nobody wants a repeat performance of the Barrett circus, but just because it hasn't worked before doesn't mean it's never going to. Right now, however, the club would not be an attractive destination for any coach, good or bad. Mestrov has to make that change.
Yeah this "Manly DNA" horse****e needs to go!
That's just holding us back. Get the best man/woman/etc for the damn job and get them now!

A coach can only do so much. Success starts from the top which means good management and decision making.
Does Manly have a 'plan for success'? Hopefully yes, and if so it must start with where we get our talent from. Only 20% will be from local areas, which is why we must form links with other regions/cities/countries.
Blacktown may have a lot of RL players, but are they a good fit for the Manly DNA/lifestyle/culture/expectations? From how this season has unravelled, and the woeful performances of our feeder club, the answer must be 'NO'.
In recent years our club has imported a lot of good Pacifica players, so if we are going to continue to be that type of club we will need a Pacifica coach, or at least a coach who understands how to get the most from Pacifica players.
In the early days our club relied on fit, athletic lifesavers/surfers to be our competitive players. Then came the poker-machine wealth that enabled us to cherry-pick established stars from anywhere.
Those eras are gone, and a quantum shift in thinking and ownership is needed or else we'll continue to be one of the runts of the NRL litter.

A coach can only do so much. Success starts from the top which means good management and decision making.
Does Manly have a 'plan for success'? Hopefully yes, and if so it must start with where we get our talent from. Only 20% will be from local areas, which is why we must form links with other regions/cities/countries.
Blacktown may have a lot of RL players, but are they a good fit for the Manly DNA/lifestyle/culture/expectations? From how this season has unravelled, and the woeful performances of our feeder club, the answer must be 'NO'.
In recent years our club has imported a lot of good Pacifica players, so if we are going to continue to be that type of club we will need a Pacifica coach, or at least a coach who understands how to get the most from Pacifica players.
In the early days our club relied on fit, athletic lifesavers/surfers to be our competitive players. Then came the poker-machine wealth that enabled us to cherry-pick established stars from anywhere.
Those eras are gone, and a quantum shift in thinking and ownership is needed or else we'll continue to be one of the runts of the NRL litter.

A lot in what you say ... for my two bob's worth you can add that at times the front office gets things back to front ...

It should be compulsory to tattoo, Every board member, the CEO, the COO, all the other initials and head office staff on the forehead with the words .. "The only reason you exist, is to put a football team on the park with every possible advantage" .. fullstop ..

Great post. We also used to have a much a stronger junior comp and A Grade comp. I remember reading that our A grade used to be one of the strongest comps in Sydney.

It seems with demographics changing on the peninsula rugby union is much stronger than rugby league now in terms of juniors from under 6 to under 18.

There are so many junior rugby clubs and I was reading the other day about Manly Savers Rugby club who are one of the fastest growing junior rugby clubs in the country. They’ve gone from one senior team to multiple senior teams and multiple teams in junior age groups from under 8 or 10 upwards in the last two years.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12