Manly hopeful of retaining Wolfman

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
DateAugust 10, 2013 - 4:09PM

Ian McCullough

Manly are hopeful of securing the services of David Williams for another three seasons with an offer tabled to the former representative winger's management.

Williams has put his injury woes behind him following a horrible run of luck over the last four years that's resulted in the 27-year-old sitting out the 2010 campaign with a shoulder injury, breaking his neck in 2011 and rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament against Brisbane last year.

His 18 appearances this season are the most he's made since breaking into the NSW side in 2009 and his form has been red-hot with five tries in his last five games to help catapult the Sea Eagles into third spot on the ladder.

Geoff Toovey's side take on the Warriors on Sunday in Gosford in a repeat of the 2011 grand final and the club is hopeful his management can rubber stamp the new deal to keep him at the club for rest of his career.

Advertisement

"We have room in the cap to keep David and we want him to stay," a club official told AAP.

"We are just waiting to hear back from his management team now, but confident we can announce something soon.

"The ball is in their court so to speak."

Williams has been a key part of the success of the Sea Eagles over the last six years after making his debut in the grand final-winning season in 2008.

After seeing the likes of Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Steve Matai, Brett Stewart and Justin Horo all re-commit to the club, he is keen to do likewise.

"I'd love to stay, it's a great group of people... I would like to finish my career out here," Williams said.

"But it's up to my management and the club at the moment."

After putting his injury issues on the backburner, Williams is flourishing in a high-octane attack that has clocked up 198 points in the last five games.

However, he is not relishing the task of coming up against a Warriors side he ranks as one of the dark horses to make an impact in the finals.

Matt Elliott's side have lost just two of their last nine and recently beat Melbourne.

And although they are currently just outside the top eight, Williams expects the men from across the Tasman to feature in September.

"If they decide to put consistent football together they can beat anyone," he said.

"When you have a six foot four winger who's five foot wide like Manu Vatuvei running at you it's not fun."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/manly-hopeful-of-retaining-wolfman-20130810-2roo7.html

Shoe1 said:
From what I have seen of hiku, he's a 1, 3, 4 or 6. Not really a winger.

He seems very much like Ben Farrar before injuries took their toll. Though from his early efforts you'd have to say that he has more potential than Farrar.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4