Manly guns talk 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tom Trbojevic and Matt Parcell talk possibility of playing five-eighth for Manly in 2016.

“I’LL give it my best shot.”

That’s the attitude exciting outside back Tom Trbojevic has taken towards the possibility of playing in the halves for Manly next season.

Despite being touted as the long-term successor to Brett Stewart’s fullback jersey, Trbojevic’s name has been bandied around as a possible partner to Daly Cherry-Evans.

While the 19-year-old, who’s scored eight tries in nine appearances in first grade, confirmed he’s spoken to incoming coach Trent Barrett, he said he’s unsure of what role he will play in the NRL side next year.

“I haven’t ever played in the halves, so I can’t say that I’ll feel comfortable there,” Trbojevic told foxsports.com.au earlier this month.

“My main position is fullback but if I get thrown in the halves I’ll give it my best shot.”

Following Kieran Foran’s departure to take up a rich deal at Parramatta, the replacement for his No.6 jersey has been the hottest topic on Sydney’s northern beaches.

Sea Eagles skipper Jamie Lyon, Matt Parcell and Trbojevic have been all floated as potential candidates, while unwanted Penrith playmaker Isaac John is reportedly following Barrett to the club and will enter the mix.

New recruit Parcell has heard the rumours he may be playing five-eighth next season but has no idea why.

Next year the club will have four rakes on their books. Veteran Matt Ballin and young gun Jayden Hodges are still under contract, while they’ve recruited Parcell and Apisai Koroisau from the Panthers.

Parcell, 22, joins the maroon and whites on a three-year deal via Brisbane, with Andrew McCullough and utility Kodi Nikorima in front of him in the pecking order.

While the Ipswich product managed to clock six games in the NRL for the Broncos this year, the allure of playing regular first grade was too good to refuse.

Having claimed the Queensland Cup and NRL State Championship titles with the Jets, Parcell is ready to begin the next chapter in his career and hopeful his NRL future lies in the No.9 jersey.

“I feel comfortable at hooker,” Parcell said.

“Hooker’s my position. I haven’t played too much five-eighth, I played inside centre for union but that’s as close as I’ve got.”

So basically, we've still got no one for the position.
Training starts soon. Maybe we'll get some answers then.

Gosh I haven't been on here for a while! I thought this is a topic worth discussing.

Why has no one suggested Brett Stewart into 5/8 ala Daryn Lockeyer? Then Turbo can slide into a position where he can use his size and strength in attack and interchange with Snake for those crucial defensive plays where an old head is needed.

We would just need to have a tackling machine (ballin?) in next to 5/8 to clean up any little messes there.

Seems a no brainer to me. Stewart only has a few years left in him, has the vision of a ball playing half while Turbo needs to be blooded while learning from Manlys best ever custodian.

Best from Berlin!

Gosh I haven't been on here for a while! I thought this is a topic worth discussing.

Why has no one suggested Brett Stewart into 5/8 ala Daryn Lockeyer? Then Turbo can slide into a position where he can use his size and strength in attack and interchange with Snake for those crucial defensive plays where an old head is needed.

We would just need to have a tackling machine (ballin?) in next to 5/8 to clean up any little messes there.

Seems a no brainer to me. Stewart only has a few years left in him, has the vision of a ball playing half while Turbo needs to be blooded while learning from Manlys best ever custodian.

Best from Berlin!
I want him to play there but no one has suggested it

Best from Berlin!

There have been a number of people on here mention Brett Stewart as a possible 5/8 replacement.
Personally, I think he is too fragile to handle the extra defensive workload of 5/8. Opposition teams would work him over big time.
I think our options will come from Api K or Isaac John for this year anyway.

Even though he's very reluctant to do it I still think Killer is the best option we have. He's been there, done that at 5/8 before and has almost always done a very good job.

Tommy is a fullback or winger.
Snake is a fullback and I think his effectiveness would be blunted at pivot.
Hiku is an option.
Koroisau is an option.
Moltzen also (I hope not, but will be happy to be proven wrong).

The problem is that the club management thought Foran would re-sign 12 months ago. Yet they seemed to be the only ones who didn't know he'd already made up his mind to join Choc and the Dalai at the Speels. Yes they managed to get DCE to blackflip and stay at the club in the long term, but there has been next to nothing done about getting a quality 5/8 to replace Foran.

What we literally have left is stop gap measures (i.e. players possibly playing out of position).

Whilst I don;t think Tommy T is the answer there (not in the short term), I just love the attitude. The 'no worries I'll play prop if need be' attitude.

I'm with you @HoldenV8 I think Killer is our best option, as he will 1) do a good job 2) it solves fitting everyone into the backline.

This is what happens when the clubs management has their heads buried up their own backsides. Once it was known Foran was leaving they should have been on the look out for a quality half or 5/8 to fill the void, and there were a few on the market at that time such as Seizer and Baloney. Instead they went out and signed some forwards (which we needed) including for some reason signing two 22 year old hookers. And the backs we've signed are really not going to be anything more than injury or rep game replacements. And what makes that worse is that after all that we went and let go a talented kid in Gutho who definitely had a long term first grade future with the club.

Best from Berlin!
That's the most sense I've heard for a long long time.

I really can't see why snake can't attack at 5/8 and defend at fullback. Considering Barrett said Daly will play both sides of the field anyway. On the other hand, if Korisau has a decent kicking game I can't see why he and Parcell can't be on the field at the same time.

Ballin to 6 mark my words. He can kick, pass both ways, tackle, and is no slower than robson.

Interesting idea. My inclination is that an old school hooker would be slow for 6, but I'd like to see him give it a go! MB is the fitness king.

Tim Moltzen if hes not injured might be a good option. Also, think that if Tom trbojevic has a decent kicking game he would be great at 5/8. Lastly, Probably a bad idea not to have offered one of the halves from the 20s the job, now they are gone.

There'll be lots of positional experimenting going on at training next week. Can't wait to see some pics of our Manly boys. I miss them.

Ballin to 6 mark my words. He can kick, pass both ways, tackle, and is no slower than robson.
That argument was going soo well until u mentioned Robson. The Sharks would not have had Robson there except they did not have options. We have options. I have the highest respect for MB. I bet he has been doing a lot of sprint work.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7