Manly football department had to change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I recall Toovey telling me back in 2012 that his hands were tied recruitment-wise due to back-ended deals meaning that bargain players would be all we could manage - and that things would be even worse over the following two seasons. Which would have been 2013 and 2014. But Toovey was clearly out of the recruitment loop even before 2015 started as he was in the dark about the DCE developments etc.
Therefore I don't think the lack of quality recruitments was Toovey's or Warwick's fault.

One thing I still can't quite understand is Toovey and Warwicks recruitment plans. From what I can see from 2012 Symonds and Lawrence were the two only additions.

Surely someone had a plan right beyond retention
How do we compare coaches and recruiters without key info? Eg The consensus seemed to be that Des left us in a severe back-ended contract dead hole. If so, Toovs did an amazing job keeping us competitive and coming within a whisker of winning the big one.

But yes, the difference in recruiting this year is remarkable.

I recall Toovey telling me back in 2012 that his hands were tied recruitment-wise due to back-ended deals meaning that bargain players would be all we could manage - and that things would be even worse over the following two seasons. Which would have been 2013 and 2014. But Toovey was clearly out of the recruitment loop even before 2015 started as he was in the dark about the DCE developments etc.
Therefore I don't think the lack of quality recruitments was Toovey's or Warwick's fault.
Yep, once Lismore and I had managed to clear a path of all cougars salivating in front of Tooves at an after function in Brizzo....I remember getting the same answers to recruitment....basically he was f@cked for the next two years. I remember thinking, well we've had a good run. Nothing Tooves can do about it.
That's what gets me, with all the new players and money that's been thrown around. Just the lies and deceit that has been forced on Toovey and his coaching staff. I just hope when/if Geoff publishes his book, it's everything, unedited, the whole disgusting truth.

One thing I still can't quite understand is Toovey and Warwicks recruitment plans. From what I can see from 2012 Symonds and Lawrence were the two only additions.

Surely someone had a plan right beyond retention

Dessies back ended contract ran until 2014 (Choc) so he was basically operating on a reduced cap that Des had benefited from for the first few years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/daly-cherryevans-explains-role-in-sacking-of-former-coach-geoff-toovey/news-story/aa2e8d7671e28e4fa5dd737eb04f22b1

Daly Cherry-Evans explains role in sacking of former coach Geoff Toovey

54 minutes ago
Scott BaileyAAP
origin:video_integrator.NvOTRnMTE6G9_gaJYz-kuZujNcbF1YU7

DALY Cherry-Evans has laughed off suggestions he played a hand in the sacking of former Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

Manly chairman Scott Penn last month claimed “significant changes in the football department had to be made” to keep the star halfback at the club, but Cherry-Evans says his decision to stay had nothing to do with Toovey’s future as coach.

“It was a very big misconception thrown out there but I guess that’s what the media does,” he told Sky Sports Radio.

“It could have been Geoff Toovey, it could have been Des Hasler, it could have been Craig Bellamy.

“It didn’t bother me who was coach, I just wanted to stay there and play with my teammates and enjoy this beautiful lifestyle.” Cherry-Evans, who initially penned a deal with the Gold Coast before signing a lifetime deal with the Sea Eagles, also said he expected a better season at the club now the contract dramas were over.

750daff76d7a5ec360432067ef6a5665

Manly through and through.
“I’ve definitely probably got a different mindset this season,” he said ahead of the Manly’s opening-round home clash with Canterbury on Friday night.

v1

“I can probably worry about my job in the side a bit more rather than life away from rugby league.”

Penn last month hinted the club opted to change the majority of their football staff, including Toovey, in an effort to see Cherry-Evans renege on his Titans deal after five-eighth Kieran Foran also signed with Parramatta.

“It was an indictment on the structure we had at the time,” he told Fairfax Media last month.

“We weren’t giving Daly and Kieran the hope we were going to be the long-term successful organisation we wanted to be.

“That’s pretty damning when you can’t retain your marquees because they can’t see where the club is going.”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6