Manly daily News

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Giving it his Hall

Jason Avedissian

31 May 2008

MANLY forward Glenn Hall had two glaring choices when he spent time out of the Sea Eagles' NRL squad earlier this season.

With a wealth of options for coach Des Hasler to deploy up front, the 27-year-old found himself playing in Manly's reserve grade team in the NSW Cup.

In his second season at Brookvale, it was not an ideal scenario. The well-travelled NRL forward could have either slumped his shoulders and spent the rest of the season languishing, or raised his game and forced Hasler's hand.

``I'm glad I didn't drop my head when I went back to reggies,'' Hall said this week.

``It was more of a wake-up call to myself, thinking if I've got another two years here, I don't really want to spend it as your older bloke in reserve grade.

``I put in a couple of good performances (in reserves), and back up here in first grade now. I want to be here and I want to be making a difference the whole time.''

And ahead of last night's game against the Raiders, Hall has left his mark this season.

The ex-Bulldog, Rabbitoh and Rooster has firmly established himself in Manly's 17-man squad on a weekly basis, a worthy replacement for representative front-rowers Josh Perry and Brent Kite.

``Dessie wanted more of an impact from me, which I probably wasn't doing last year,'' Hall said.

``I think I'm doing it a lot better this year and Dessie has been pretty happy with me so far. My main thing now is just the consistency.

``There's still good depth in the forwards. Guys like Jason Wells, Jack Afamasaga, Phil Morwood and Rosey (George Rose) are all playing good footy (in reserves), that's another reason to keep up my consistency.''

Manly captain Matt Orford is another to have noted Hall's rising form.

``Hally's been going great for us the past few weeks,'' Orford said. ``He's got a role to play and the tempo and enthusiasm he brings really changes the flow of the game and that's what we need from him. It brings out the best in guys.''

http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/31/10392_sports.html

Bailey's future is assured

Zorba

31 May 2008
http://manlydaily.com.au/article/2008/05/31/10391_sports.html

IN 1987 ``Rambo'' Ronnie Gibbs dropped a mid season bombshell on the Sea Eagles when he announced he was leaving to join the Gold Coast Seagulls.

After the initial shock the then Manly coach Bob Fulton challenged Gibbs to be the best player for Manly in the remainder of the season.

The crash-tackling forward was just that as he played a major role in the team's premiership victory.

And Gibbs won over the Manly fans for his dedication and commitment while he remained in maroon and white.

Knights' coach Brian Smith does things differently to Fulton which probably is one reason why he has never won a premiership in his long coaching career. In the week following his decision to leave the Knights for a three-year contract with Manly, five-eighth Chris Bailey finds himself warming the bench for tonight's game against the Warriors at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Only two weeks ago (the Knights had a bye last weekend) Bailey scored three tries in a home loss to the Tigers.

Bailey isn't the first and won't be the last player to be left scratching his head over coaching decisions made by Smith.

In the first game, this season Bailey was named as number six for the Knights.

Come the weekend he wasn't in the 17 and Bailey was experiencing the roller-coaster life of a player under Smith.

The classy young country lad from Inverell will find football much more enjoyable at the Sea Eagles under a strict but fiercely loyal coach in Des Hasler.

Hasler demands everything from his players but they know if they do the work he will give them everything back.

Hasler cut his cloth in coaching under Bob Fulton and doesn't hide the fact that he has used the Bozo manual as a major guide in his growing coaching career.

Hasler earmarked Bailey as a future Sea Eagle more than 18 months ago. He has been patient and now it looks like Bailey is going to have to be just that before he can go about showing how good a player he can be.

I like seeing him give it to the Knights as well, but he has been known to shoot from the hip a bit too freely in the past (thanking the Eels for letting Michael Witt go comes to mind).

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2