Manly can win without Kennedy: Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
November 10, 2006 - 12:09PM

New Manly captain Matt Orford reckons the loss of inspirational leader Ben Kennedy could end up being a positive for the NRL club.

Kennedy was a colossus during his short stint at the Sea Eagles, being named in Manly's greatest team despite only having two seasons at the club.

However Orford, named as Kennedy's successor as skipper on Friday at Manly's orientation day, felt there were plenty of young Sea Eagles ready to fill the void left by the brilliant backrower.

"We are going to miss BK but I think it opens the door for some young guys that have been stuck behind such a great player," Orford said on Friday.

"He has spent time with these players and hopefully that has rubbed off and those guys are going to really give it a crack now and now it is their chance.

"It was obviously going to happen at some stage and we have to manage as best we can but I think it is going to be a positive thing."

Orford cited the way his old side Melbourne lifted this year after losing a number of key players at the end of 2005 as the approach Manly should take towards next year.

Add Jamie Lyon to Manly's backline and Orford felt the Sea Eagles were on track for their first premiership since 1996 after being bundled out in the second week of this year's finals.

"I think this year proved it was anyone's competition and who ever is most consistent," he said.

"I think we are heading in the right direction and we have some areas in our game we need to work on to be recognised as a top side and we are going to be working really hard to match those sides."

Orford felt Lyon would give the Sea Eagles a cutting edge in attack that was missing at the business end of the season.

"I think so, I think he is going to be a great asset and that is why we spent a lot of time getting his services," he said.

"I think he is going to help my game and he is going to be great for the club, he is regarded as one of the best players in the game and is going to add another dimension to our game which is going to be hard for other teams to read."

© 2006 AAP

one was to look at it is that they cannot rely on BK anymore - like the attitude at the melbourne game

Good positive stuff from Orford, a good captain's start. I'm still of the mind that Lyon should start at centre. Shouldn't discard the little guy just yet. I'd be telling Lyon to give him directions as to how I wanted to play it, an give it some time to build the play with the three of them around the scrum base.

one was to look at it is that they cannot rely on BK anymore - like the attitude at the melbourne game

Yeah - it took us 11.5 minutes to have one tackle in the opposition 1/2. But don't let facts get in the way of a good story Fluffy.

Without BK, we suffered. Even The Rabbits at Brooky dominated for very short periods !!! Imagine it was against The Bulldogs !

fact is we won 34 - 12 and that is a good story in my books when you have half a dozen out.

I would play the first 30 minutes in my own half if we won every game 34 - 12.

fact is we won 34 - 12 and that is a good story in my books when you have half a dozen out.

I would play the first 30 minutes in my own half if we won every game 34 - 12.

Apologies - I thought you meant Melbourne last round.

didnt we also beat the Dogs without Kennedy? cant remember if he played that game or not. albeit they did have a few key players missing.

didnt we also beat the Dogs without Kennedy? cant remember if he played that game or not. albeit they did have a few key players missing.

Yeah - only a few ! 8|
If we have to rely upon injuries to other teams key players to win @ Brooky, then we are in more trouble than I thought.

[quote author=Garts]

Yeah - only a few ! 8|
If we have to rely upon injuries to other teams key players to win @ Brooky, then we are in more trouble than I thought.
[/quote]

Just making a statement that we did win without Kennedy against a pretty good pack. Still had OMeley, Ryan, Williams from memory.

We can and will win without Kennedy next season, we have no choice and him not being around is no excuse. Everyone else needs to lift to help cover his workrate.

Totally agree there Garts. I just think there are certain players that really need to take the cork out - they are:-

Luke Williamson
Jason King
Shayne Dunley (to a lesser degree)..

If you look at Souths Roster, you will see why these players need to pull their finger out.

Williamson & Dunley I hope are playing PL are good depth for us as others have demanded selection. King needs to fire up, goes without saying.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4