MANLY 1978 Season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
Off Season

006.jpg
010.jpg
012.jpg
018.jpg
023.jpg
030.jpg

The trial game photos. I've never knew the gold badge was used from the start of 1978. Anyone know the story of why the club had this gold badge?

Wills Cup Final, so Manly off to Melbourne to play Wests in a carnival of footy. I wonder how that went! Next week Round 1 v StG.
It is to be seen how Manly fare this season. Bob Fulton left at the end of 1976, the growth of John Gibbs, Russell Gartner and Alan Thompson & Graeme Eadie now into something like their 6th seasons plus the addition of Ray Higgs, John Gray and Stephen Knight. Terry Randall starting the season off as captain and you would expect the forwards would never turn it up.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 55
The trial game photos. I've never knew the gold badge was used from the start of 1978. Anyone know the story of why the club had this gold badge?
Not sure why they changed the design BK, looks like it might have been a marketing decision to have the full name in the emblem. I see the Eels didn't change to the Eel emblem until 1980.

With the decision to have the gold background I'm thinking it was a throwback to our 1956 emblem which was the first to feature a sea eagle...

Manly gold emblem.JPG

Manly 1977 emblem.JPG

manly 1978.JPG

Imagine the uproar in today's world if there was a "League Queen" competition ?
How times have changed.

Great walk down memory lane. Thanks Eagle66.

My favourite season. I am a sentimental old fool and that year I was a young 11 year old boy wide eyed and totally in love with the Manly Sea Eagles.

That team played some of the toughest footy that I have ever seen from a Manly team. So many times the season was in difficulty and time and time again they came up with vital wins, often hard fought and it was a roller coaster of a season.

The finals series was memorable, down and out so many times and fighting back every time to be very strong teams and clinch the premiership sealed my love for the club.

The players that season I remember so well. My hero was Graham Eadie, Tommy Mooney, Russell Gartner, Stephen Knight, Simon Booth, Alan Thompson, John Gibbs/Steve Martin, Ian Martin, Bruce Walker, Terry Igor Randall, Ray Higgs, Wayne Springall, Ian Thomson, John Gray, Max Krillich, John Harvey and the reserves who helped the team win.

Forever my heroes that team!

My favourite season. I am a sentimental old fool and that year I was a young 11 year old boy wide eyed and totally in love with the Manly Sea Eagles.

That team played some of the toughest footy that I have ever seen from a Manly team. So many times the season was in difficulty and time and time again they came up with vital wins, often hard fought and it was a roller coaster of a season.

The finals series was memorable, down and out so many times and fighting back every time to be very strong teams and clinch the premiership sealed my love for the club.

The players that season I remember so well. My hero was Graham Eadie, Tommy Mooney, Russell Gartner, Stephen Knight, Simon Booth, Alan Thompson, John Gibbs/Steve Martin, Ian Martin, Bruce Walker, Terry Igor Randall, Ray Higgs, Wayne Springall, Ian Thomson, John Gray, Max Krillich, John Harvey and the reserves who helped the team win.

Forever my heroes that team!
Oh no! Spoiler alert. We are only up to Round 1

Round 8 v SS
Disappointing performance by the 1sts dropping them down to equal 5th, are they looking shaky?
Good wins by the lower grades.
Apologies for the inclusion of the Roosters player but I thought it would be novel.
001.jpg
004.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
019.jpg
022.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts