Manase Fainu - Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep. Been there. Known as Mannus Gaol. Tucked away in a valley with a steep road down to the centre. But no walls. Plenty of industry keeping prisoners involved. Walk out any time if you wish, but of course if you're caught, and most are, its high security for you and none of the benefits of minimum security prison. I was a union delegate working in concert with the Commissioner of Corrective Services, and visited every gaol in the state except Wellington and Broken Hill, assessing employees' issues. There are 36 prisons scattered about the state, all different
Mannus, that’s right (was a long time ago).

Used to be a pretty tall screw there that had absolutely no backside… his pants were just floppy where his bum should have been (circa 1994-5 maybe). Strange memory I grant you but had not seen anything like it either then or since…

Actually SER8 there is a misconception about liberties in gaols, usually based on media presentations in film and TV.

Actually most prisoners dont sit in their cells for long periods of time unless they are Max security prisoners such as those that used to be held in the Parramatta Circle or Goulburn's X wing. Certainly in remand prisons such as Silverwater they have limited time and early in a sentence they may be rated A classification with limited liberty

I have a someone in prison. Been in all classifications of the prison system.

They got 45 minutes a day outside their cell for many many weeks and this was while awaiting a trial. Was months before actually went outside in the sunlight.

This person s still inside, a good while to serve. Talk almost daily to someone in my household. They are now at Mannus.

Its cruel on everyone - but its the right place for them to be, and it aint no holiday dont ever think other wise.

My advice is dont ever put yourself in a position where you might end up on the wrong side of the law. Dont throw that punch, or have a social hit of ice, or drive like Peter Brock.

Last edited:
I have a someone in prison. Been in all classifications of the prison system.

They got 45 minutes a day outside their cell for many many weeks and this was while awaiting a trial. Was months before actually went outside in the sunlight.

This person s still inside, a good while to serve. Talk almost daily to someone in my household. They are now at Mannus.

Its cruel on everyone - but its the right place for them to be, and it aint no holiday dont ever think other wise.

My advice is dont ever put yourself in a position where you might end up on the wrong side of the law. Dont throw that punch, or have a social hit of ice, or drive like Peter Brock.
This ad always sent shivers down my spine

Mannus, that’s right (was a long time ago).

Used to be a pretty tall screw there that had absolutely no backside… his pants were just floppy where his bum should have been (circa 1994-5 maybe). Strange memory I grant you but had not seen anything like it either then or since…

Try St Helliers, outside of Muswellbrook. Livestock country. The flies are extremely attentive

Forced to watch CH 9....that's got to be in contravention of the Corrective Services Act....

"Disgraced NRL stars Jarryd Hayne and Manase Fainu are sharing the same prison cell at a jail in Sydney’s northwest.
The fallen Parramatta Eels and Manly Sea Eagles players are at the Geoffrey Pearce Correctional Centre — a minimum-security facility at Berkshire Park.

Hayne is serving three years for the sexual assault of a woman on NRL grand final night in 2018, his judge saying he had committed “two extremely grave sexual offences”.

Fainu, 24, was found guilty in December last year of stabbing a youth leader in a violent brawl outside a Mormon church dance in 2019.

He was sentenced to eight years with a non-parole period of four years and three months. He is now appealing the sentence.
They can watch three NRL games on Channel 9 each week but there is no Fox Sports inside the jail for the other five games.

The pair have known each other for several years. They were both represented at their trials by Margaret Cunneen SC.

Hayne was previously in Cooma Correctional Centre for nine months before the Court of Criminal Appeal quashed his conviction and ordered a retrial.

The pair had often exchanged letters while housed at different prisons.

Hayne has had a colourful experience behind bars. While in Parklea jail inmates once pelted him with apples.

He also got knocked back by authorities when he requested Foxtel to watch NRL games."

Moral to the story if in trouble stay away from Margaret Cunneen.

Well only if you believe 2 clients who say they are innocent are now serving lengthy custodial sentences. I bet Margaret got paid.

Last edited:
Moral to the story if in trouble stay away from Margaret Cunnern.

Well only if you believe 2 clients who say they are innocent are now serving lengthy custodial sentences. I bet Margaret got paid.
She’s not having a great run of high profile success but maybe that’s not the KPI.

That Arthur Moses fella is also everywhere after the BR-S debacle and now with Bruce Lehrmann. Gladys wouldn’t see much of him.

Moral to the story if in trouble stay away from Margaret Cunnern.

Though not his legal rep, she testified on behalf of Brett Stewart. I don't think it hurt hm.

Moral to the story if in trouble stay away from Margaret Cunneen.

Different view to that moral - don't sexually assault or attempt to stab / murder people. You won't need her defense then.

So is the family saying that Manly didn't support Manase and that is why they want out ???

With the supposed Samuela and Latu leaving Manly.

How much of a noose around our neck has Manase the gangsta been over the past 4 years?

Be careful where you lie as we certainly have fleas.

Former NRL star Manase Fainu’s appeal against stabbing conviction​

Former NRL Manase Fainu has made a surprising argument in his bid to have his conviction quashed for stabbing a man outside a church dance.

Former NRL star Manase Fainu has argued another man may have been wielding the knife during the bloody stabbing outside a church that landed him in jail.

The 24-year-old was sentenced to eight years behind bars for stabbing a youth leader during a bloody brawl outside a Mormon church dance in October 2019.
A jury found that he had plunged a steak knife into the back of Faamanu Levi at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at Wattle Grove in southwestern Sydney.
The 10cm blade punctured Mr Levi’s lungs and caused internal bleeding.
Fainu then swung the knife upwards and slashed a deep cut through the victim’s eyebrow.

Former NRL star Manase Fainu is appealing his conviction for stabbing a man outside a church dance in Sydney. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Christian Gilles

Former NRL star Manase Fainu is appealing his conviction for stabbing a man outside a church dance in Sydney. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Christian Gilles
The former rugby league rising star pleaded not guilty to the charge of wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and continues to deny the allegations.
On Friday, he appeared in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal to contest the “unreasonable verdict” handed down by the jury last year.
His barrister Mike Smith argued there was still a question of whether the knife had been in Fainu’s possession at the time of the stabbing.
He argued it was possible one of the other men was holding the knife that stabbed Mr Levi, or that more than one knife was involved in the brawl.
Mr Smith said the evidence about the identity of the man wielding the knife was “to be kind, a little unclear” and noted the witnesses had time to influence each other before giving their statements to police.
Crown prosecutor Emma Curran refuted the suggestions and highlighted the evidence of two eyewitnesses to the brawl who saw the knife in Fainu’s hand.
“Both of them gave evidence that the person with the knife was the person with the sling,” she said.
“There is no evidence that anyone else was observed to be wearing a sling on that night and no evidence that anyone else in the melee was armed with a knife.”

He had his arm in a sling when he stabbed the man. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty Images

He had his arm in a sling when he stabbed the man. Picture: Matt Blyth/Getty Images
He was sentenced to eight years in jail. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

He was sentenced to eight years in jail. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

During the trial, eyewitness Tony Quach testified he saw Fainu looking angry and clutching a steak knife in one hand while his other arm was in a sling.
He said he had seen the former Manly Sea Eagles player plunge the knife into Mr Levi’s back in the church parking lot during the bloody affray.
Mr Smith opined Mr Quach’s evidence was “so inadequate” and “so insufficient” that the jury should not have returned a guilty verdict.
He said the account of witness Kupi Toilalo contradicted Mr Quach’s crucial testimony by providing a “radically different” account of events and where the brawlers were positioned.
Given the violent melee took place in a cramped space in between two cars, he maintained the person wielding the knife would not have been able to slip past Mr Quach.
Yet the crown prosecutor noted that relying more heavily on Mr Toilalo’s evidence of where the man with the knife stood in the brawl did not exonerate Fainu.
She said the eyewitness “had an unobstructed view” of a man with his arm in a sling who was holding a knife, just moments before it was announced Mr Levi had been stabbed.

Eyewitness Tony Quach said he saw Fainu stabbing the victim. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Christian Gilles

Eyewitness Tony Quach said he saw Fainu stabbing the victim. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Christian Gilles

In addition to the numerous statements from witnesses, Ms Curran said CCTV footage of Fainu arriving and leaving was also “damaging” to his case.
“This isn’t a case that rested on the evidence of Mr Quach and only Mr Quach,” she said.
“The applicant’s guilt is, we say, plainly established beyond reasonable doubt.”
The CCTV showed Fainu and four of his friends arriving at a car park adjacent to the Mormon church and jumping over the fence into the church grounds.
Fainu testified he went to the dance to help one of his friends, Uona “Big Buck” Faingaa, collect money he was owed by a man for a concreting job.
Mr Smith noted the CCTV did not show the former NRL hooker holding a knife either before or after the violent brawl.
Supreme Court Justices Mark Leeming, Natalie Adams, and Hament Dhanji will hand down their decision at a later date.
Fainu was at one time considered one of the best young hooker in the NRL but he has not played since he was charged over the stabbing in late 2019.

CCTV footage showing Manase Fainu jumping a fence into a Mormon church dance shortly before the brawl.

CCTV footage showing Manase Fainu jumping a fence into a Mormon church dance shortly before the brawl.

The stabbing cut his career short at a time when legendary former Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler said the hooker “had the world at his feet”.
“I have absolutely no doubt that he was destined for greatness,” the NRL coaching great said in a statement read in court when the player was sentenced.
He believed Fainu, like other young athletes, had experienced a “Superman Complex” which meant he thought he could not be harmed and which was exacerbated by the pressure of elite sport.
Earlier this year, it emerged that the 24-year-old was sharing a cell with fellow disgraced NRL player Jarryd Hayne at the Geoffrey Pearce Correctional Centre in Sydney’s northwest.
Originally published as Former NRL star Manase Fainu’s appeal against stabbing conviction

Not a very compelling argument and one which surely would have been raised at the original trial

Maybe this thread needs to be moved to the wests tigers forum
Exactly!

Maybe the old combo of korasaui and fainu will be reunited one last time!

Not a very compelling argument and one which surely would have been raised at the original trial

Maybe this thread needs to be moved to the wests tigers forum
Yeah, makes sense, the whole clan's playing over there now. Des isn't here anymore to lend support also, yep, Tigpies thread is where this belongs.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6