Mad Scientist Cryotherapy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Des is at it again, good to see Penn opening up his wallet and getting results from it.

Manly’s mad scientist Des Hasler strikes again with cryotherapy van
Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
19 minutes ago

Subscriber only
Foran out as Napa returns
Manly’s mad scientist is at it again.

Under coach Des Hasler the Sea Eagles have become the first NRL club to have a walk-in cryotherapy chamber on site at matches.

The Daily Telegraph spotted a cryotherapy van parked behind the main Jane Try Grandstand during Sunday’s match against the Canberra Raiders.

Two security guards stood at the back entrance to Manly’s dressing room at fulltime and one by one players were ushered into the machine for a two-to three-minute session.

9dfae3ea21df461495b91276941d345f

Manly are using a cryotherapy chamber after games this season.
MORE NRL NEWS

CASH-STRAPPED RABBITOHS SET TO LOSE BURGESS BROTHER

HOW LITTLE JOHN BATEMAN DEFIED ODDS TO REACH NRL PEAK

The chamber was backed up to the Brookvale Oval perimeter fence and is another example of Hasler’s fascination with sports science.

Cryotherapy helps players recover quickly. Ideally, they stand in temperatures of around minus 110 degrees but the chamber can reach minus 150 degrees.

Manly have been using Liverpool-based Cryo HQ, South Pacific, which claims its procedures help with “endurance, power and energy”.

Cryotherapy is an alternative to traditional ice baths and assists with pain relief, muscle recovery and weight loss.

d150359f79c34d3184f88ab3fd76dbb9

Players are using the chamber immediately after games at the ground. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
“It’s good, it makes you really cold and then get warm,” Manly forward Jake Trbojevic said. “The contrast helps in the recovery.

“Three minutes in there and you’re out. You don’t get wet, which is good. It really helps.”

Cryotherapy has gradually entered rugby league over the past two to three years but Manly are the first to use it immediately after games.

“Cryotherapy really helps quicken and aid recovery,” Manly strength and conditioning head coach Don Singe said.

LISTEN! Matty reveals the biggest lie he ever told coach, the song he can’t get out of his head, an Origin rumour that won’t go away and what it’s like to have a video session under Tommy Raudonikis. Don’t miss this week’s episode of the Matty Johns podcast.

The Cryo HQ, South Pacific website states the process can “increase the amount of oxygenated blood reaching your muscles”.

It adds: “Those who use cryotherapy report having reduced muscle pain and faster recovery time from injury.

“The sensation of being quickly and briefly subjected to extreme cold has been compared to the adrenaline rush of winning a martial arts bout or jumping off a cliff into water.

“Used by elite athletes around the world, cryotherapy submerges your body at below zero temperatures, increasing circulation and delivering multiple benefits.

“By subjecting your body to below zero temperatures, you’ll trigger a huge rush of blood flow around your muscles that will improve your energy and your stamina.

RELATED CONTENT
be7b19d90dfb98fb4c49883413f4ea02

Will's What to Do: Round 8
Will's What to Do: Round 8

6b8567c4973682d3a8e0435227425cf6

Explosive claim amid Folau controversy
Explosive claim amid Folau controversy
similars

3ca60145488b1b98a93d5c211bd54807

“This treatment is used on elite athletes around the world to maintain and improve their fitness while helping them to recover more quickly from injury.

“Big names who are fans of cryotherapy include LeBron James, Floyd Mayweather and Cristiano Ronaldo.”

It is understood Real Madrid star Ronaldo has a cryotherapy chamber in his house.

The NSW State of Origin side has used Cryotherapy for the past two seasons. Blues and Souths hooker Damien Cook is another who uses a cryotherapy treatment.

Wests Tigers winger Robert Jennings has also used cryotherapy to help with injury recovery.

3ca60145488b1b98a93d5c211bd54807

“This treatment is used on elite athletes around the world to maintain and improve their fitness while helping them to recover more quickly from injury.

“Big names who are fans of cryotherapy include LeBron James, Floyd Mayweather and Cristiano Ronaldo.”
Not to mention Timothy Leary.

Haha cryo - gives you a buzz but does **** all.

Too cold!

I'd be telling Des:

"While cryotherapy is widely used, there is little evidence as to its efficacy that has been replicated or shown in large controlled studies"

Then again, it's Des, I'd probably just go in (less scary).

He might be after the placebo effect with the players?

I am not sure calves blood did much either except with us a GF 40 nil ;-)
I've had it a bunch of times and your definitely feel good after but that's the endorphin release from the cold. I'm a year round cold shower person so I used to do it at 150 for the 3 minutes. Never noticed any improvement in healing though...

Great work by Des giving his players the competitive edge

Self development of the mind and body is not only for players

It is for every one and it is the best investment any one can ever make in their life

Feeling physically fit and Mentally fit lets every one excel on and off the field

SMSB-1174x0-c-default.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10