Lyon what possition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
What possition would you expect him to play, 5/8 or centre?

I think 5/8.

I think Burns's game in the last semi cemented himself a place on the bench as a replacement hooker.

(I re did this thread as the other thread didn't work)

With Des as coach, I don't know what to expect. But I would prefer to see him play 5/8.

More support for Orford for when he goes missing in big games. Keeps our current centre pairing, which is going great guns at the moment. Put Burns on the bench and dump Dunley. Start Willow/GStewart in 13 just to tackle everything for the first 20 minutes.

etc. etc. etc.

Good on you Byso.

Have found this one difficult. there are stacks of for & agaisnt arguments so in reality will have to wait till the trials to make informed judgement.

But I will state now that im leaning towards 5/8. Reason for this is its obvious he reads the play well enough and possesses the ball playing skills and can break the line.

The fact that placing him in the centres with Bell makes for such a striking pairing and the fact that being an ESL 5/8 may be different kettle of barramundi to NRL 5/8, has had me questioning but i guess ill get over it.

I used to be indecisive but now im not so sure. :p

I don't think 5/8 in Oz will be as easy as 5/8 in Pommyland. I guess it depends who we'd rather have on the park - Mattai or Burns. 5/8 these days appears to be just another centre position anyways (ie most 5/8's are runners these days, with the 1/2 backs being the creative ones).

Good on you Byso.

Have found this one difficult. there are stacks of for & agaisnt arguments so in reality will have to wait till the trials to make informed judgement.

But I will state now that im leaning towards 5/8. Reason for this is its obvious he reads the play well enough and possesses the ball playing skills and can break the line.

The fact that placing him in the centres with Bell makes for such a striking pairing and the fact that being an ESL 5/8 may be different kettle of barramundi to NRL 5/8, has had me questioning but i guess ill get over it.

I used to be indecisive but now im not so sure. :p

:lol2:

I think there are too many cons for Jamie at 5/8.

- Burns / Orford 2 years straight = consistency. Consistency = combinations;
- Lyon is the best centre in the world in my opinion;
- Dragons tried it with Gasnier. It failed;
- Makes an extra position in the team for Matai. What I mean by that is that if Burns plays Hooker, Dunley is dropped. With our lack of depth, we can't afford that. Therefore:- 3. Bell 4. Lyon 6. Burns 13. Matai 14. Dunley.

People have to remember for Lyon to be 5/8 Burns or Dunley have to be dropped, unless Burns / Dunley can play Lock? Des just won't drop 1st grade veterans like Dunley. Regardless of form. Three years has shown us this. For that reason, we can safely say:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Steve Matai

14. Shayne Dunley
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Luke Williamson

I've come to think that this will give our team more mobility in attack and defence than last year with Matai at Lock.

Also, it's how we have the strongest bench. With Lyon @ 5/8, we then talk Glenn Stewarts etc.....and they are Premier League players playing Premier League.

Again, I just can't see Des dropping Dunley. Can you?

im worried that at centre he wont see the ball enough. If Burns is to stay at 5/8 , he needs to pass more and earlier to give the centres time.
Gaz is at his best when he gets the ball early and has time to fool the defence.

If Lyon to 5/8 then what about JART being:

1. Stewart
2. Robbo
3. Mattai
4. Bell
5. Hicks
6. Lyon
7. Orford
8. King
9. Burns (Monas to UK & we pocket $200k+)
10. Kite
11. Watmough
12. Cuthbertson
13. Menzies

14. Ballin
15. Rose
16. Bryant
17. G Stewart

mmmmmm
But do we start with a guy at hooker who hasnt played there before? Could be dangerous.

Here's mine:

I think this is the go personally

03. Steve Bell
04. Steve Matai
06. Jamie Lyon
09. Michael Monoghan
14. Travis Burns

The only problem is we don't have anyone for those quick darts out of dummy half... but i think this is our best combination.

Lyon needs the ball in his hands alot and i think ryan will find gasnier will work at 5/8th if they persist with him.

Jamie Lyon is different to gasnier... gasnier is a ball runner and i am not sure whether he has the smarts to see an oppurtunity out wide and execute it (with time this may come to him but that's the dragons problem) Jamie Lyon on the other hand has the ability to be a play maker aswell as a ball runner... i think because Jamie Lyon is over in england alot of people are oblivious to just how special a player this bloke really is.

He'll open your eyes next year

as long as williamson is not there i don,t care i think burns needs to be in the side somewhere

Maybe the same mould as Lockyer Nutz??
A very good ball player, reads the game , but one of the best hole runners and when he sees a gap he can get thru them.

I really dont know where to play him. The easiest way to figure it out is to decide first who you want to out of the team. Some say Dunley , other say Monas. For me it has to be Dunley. Then who rotates hooker with Monas at hooker. If Burns , then Lyon to 5/8. If you go with Ballin, then Lyon to centre and matai to forwards or PL. But then matai is a test player and cant be wasted in PL.

OK head hurts. I DONT KNOW WHERE TO PUT HIM!!!!!

This is a tough call. I have been very impressed with Burnsie all year. I admit he had a poor last finals game but he is a terrier and worth persisting with. I have the St helens/Hull game setup to record tomorrow morning and should probably write this after watching it. All the same we are bound to get injuries and having that sort of diversity is a huge bonus to the club. I personally would put him in the centres to start and see how Burnsie goes. Drop who - Matai or Bell. Gee I don't know. I'm like most and can't call it but gee I love the problem.

Burns was solid in defence and kicking game, but i don't recall him setting the backline alight or beating his man to build an overlap. It was either have a quick dart himself or shovel to the centre to make his own luck.

The above sounds like a hooker to me. But i agree it's not easy to choose when we haven't seen Burns play hooker, but most halfbacks (where he starred at Sharks JF) do make the transition well.

Lyon 5/8

Cuthbo, Stewart, Willow to fight out lock unless another PL player improves in leaps and bounds in 2007

Guys - we are talking Des - who honestly thinks Dunley will play Premier nex year?? Exactly. It's that simple. Dunly / Monaghan will be Hookers, and I can't see Burns playing Premier League either.

That then means Lyon HAS to be a centre doesn't it?

You develop over time as a coach. It might be that Des has learned from this past year and will adopt a more flexible outlook on blooding players. The trials will tell the story.

Not really Barks...I think it has more to do with putting & fitting seasoned first grade players at Des's disposal in 1st grade. Remember - I'm saying that based on what I have seen of Des. Dunley just won't play PL. He may be rested for A match, but that's about it. It's not the way I'd do things. I mean, my team would have been:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Steve Matai
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Sione Faumuina

14. Shayne Dunley
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Jason Wells

if I had my choice.....but we are talking Des.

Honestly guys - it sucks when we think players like Hall / Curtis / G Stewart even Wells etc have to be in our side. Most teams can provide 17 1st graders in theirs.

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Matai
4. Bell
5. Hicks
6. Lyon
7. Orford
8. King
9. Ballin
10. Kite
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. G. Stewart

14. Burns
15. Cuthbertson
16. Rose
17. Bryant

That's what I'm leaning towards at the moment. That includes 3 Australian reps, a Kiwi rep, 2 others who have played for their state and 3 who have played City/Country. And then Stewart and Ballin who should play for their state in the future (didn't some ex-QLD rep say Ballin was going to be a future QLD hooker?).

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4