Loyalty & Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
BOZO said:
The salary cap is the root of all evil .

Superleague is mate. That's when it all started. When those scumbag clubs thought they were bigger than the game.

Most definitely correct

Kite came via Canberra then Saints. He was at Manly for 6 or 7 years so he can't be looked at in the same light as Gift.

sheridanstand78 said:
I would like to see the NRL clamp down on these back ended contracts. This is the reason why were behind the 8 ball over Gifty and the other players we had to let go.

The NRL are only interested in money. Loyalty is totally gone.

Shame Gifty goes but the club will always be strong.

Have to agree re backended contracts. From the outside (no inside knowledge whatsoever) it seems these, rather than pure loyalty, are the reason we've been able to keep this exceptional group together for so long. I guess it was always going to bite us in the bum at some point.

Is there any other universe where such a thing exists?

I sure wouldn't want to be the one trying to balance both the roster and the books.

Players should have a cap hit, rather than an individual salary year amount.

Example: Gift
Year one: 250k
Year two: 400k
Year three: 650k
Total Salary: 1.3 million over three years
Cap hit: 433k

Mitigates any back ended deals, which helps clubs retain long standing players. It also encourages longer contracts.

Downside is that if a player falls apart mid contract, your still paying the cap hit regardless (but that's what happens now anyway).

I could then discuss placing injured players on "injured reserve" if injured for a specific time (needs to be more than say 4 games), and the component of the players leave is added back into the salary cap.

mickqld said:
Kite came via Canberra then Saints. He was at Manly for 6 or 7 years so he can't be looked at in the same light as Gift.

2005 to 2013 is 9 years!!! Plus I'd suggest that 221 games is a big effort and worthy of being one of the Sea Eagle greats. Glenn is at 179 games according to wiki.

179 was before this season started I believe.

Barring too many injuries Glenn should join the 200 club.

Don't expect things to change any time soon.

Found this in my travels......

Excerpts from DT article June 18 2009:

HIS club is being torn apart but Manly captain Matt Orford yesterday offered to take a huge pay cut to stay at Brookvale.

In an amazing sacrifice, Orford said he was willing to drop $300,000 so the Sea Eagles could keep a number of star players, including NSW Origin forwards Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough.

While the board continues to bicker and chief executive Grant Mayer this week became a casualty of club politics, Orford's sacrifice shows the spirit is strong among the players.

and ends with.........

Manly will next week announce they are retaining wingers David Williams and Michael Robertson. There were fears that one of the pair might be shifted as the club battles salary-cap constraints.

Loyalty depends on the individual perspective. We as fans will most likely, never earn a living playing Pro football. Therefore it's easy for us to question the loyalty of a player that looks to maximise their earning potential, either with (DCE) or outside (Gifty) the club.

The other point of view to consider is that of the club. The administrators and coaching staff, earn their living by attempting to develop and maintain a successful and winning club. The balancing act this requires has been going on for many years, as the above post indicates.

Personally, I feel disappointed that I'll have to see Gifty wear a Souths jumper next year. I know it's selfish to think like that but I tend to support the club over individual players. I'm also of the opinion, there will be others doing the same thing in the next few years.

However, there are also plenty of positives in the players we have coming thru. The younger guys already in the team as well as Gutherson, the Trbojevics, Chee Kam, Sao, Littlejohn plus others. I'm excited about seeing more of these guys in the coming years.

As far as DCE goes, I think he's a very fine player but if I had to nominate a "keep at all costs" player it is Kieran Foran, all day long. He rejected Hasler to stay at Manly and everything he's said in the media indicates, money isn't everything it him. DCE has always given me the impression, he'll play for the highest bidder. Which I can't blame him for but I don't think the club should (or will) get into a bidding war. If talk of million dollar contracts is right, I'd rather they let him go and got Will Hopoate and Lussick back.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6