Lower salary cap= Our advantage

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With the NRL looking at reducing the salary cap over the next couple years I believe this will greatly advantage Manly and the teams with strong young squads. With less cap money teams are not going to be able to afford to throw big money at our stars and are not going to have big money to poach our youngsters. I also think it will create alot more loyalty to clubs as players can't/wont be enticed away by big money. Teams will pretty much stay as they are for the next few years and that is great for manly.

Hope you’re right Robbo, I just wonder how the NRL/clubs get to the lower caps without massive disruption?

I am sure the lawyers and player managers will be lining up to take legal action if contracts are forced to be renegotiated.

The only way out as i see it is for all players to universally accept a 20% pay reduction to meet a 20% cap reduction. Not sure if the RLPA is strong enough to drive that across all players

The big money teams will find ways to pay players a big percentage of their "deal" outside the cap...just like they do now.

If anything, a lower cap could mean players are even more vulnerable to being stolen as brown paper bags will be an even bigger part of their total income.

The big money teams will find ways to pay players a big percentage of their "deal" outside the cap...just like they do now.

If anything, a lower cap could mean players are even more vulnerable to being stolen as brown paper bags will be an even bigger part of their total income.
I can just see the roosters lowering the cap/spending by 20% and still manage to recruit a few Test/origin players in the process

It's not the Cap that is the issue; it's how much players get outside the Cap. I can only see this continuing to benefit Easts, Storm, Souffs and Brisbane.

Will make little difference.
Players mums, dads or partners will still get jobs with sponsors on $200,000pa for a 10 hour week.
Players sold appartments at 70% value because of a fire sale.
Golf days will increase and so will bets on a putt.

The cap isn't the problem, its what is paid outside this what allows some clubs to attract stars at a reduced contract value.

I can just see the roosters lowering the cap/spending by 20% and still manage to recruit a few Test/origin players in the process

Uncle Nicky will have to fall in line with the hard times of lately. He won't be able to offer a 4 bedroom apartment on the 56th floor with views to the Tasman Sea with NZ in the far, far distance. Newly recruited players will have to accept a lesser option, say, a 3 bedder on the 55th floor of the same apartment with views of Sydney Habour, with the Blue Mountains in the far far distance.

Yeah but - you know... Just for the bench so it doesn't really count....!

Uncle Nicky will have to fall in line with the hard times of lately. He won't be able to offer a 4 bedroom apartment on the 56th floor with views to the Tasman Sea with NZ in the far, far distance. Newly recruited players will have to accept a lesser option, say, a 3 bedder on the 55th floor of the same apartment with views of Sydney Habour, with the Blue Mountains in the far far distance.

Only a 3 bedroom....

won't somebody think of the children?!?!?!?

I think our bigger advantage will be a lowering of the football dept cap .... (if enforced) .. means we will be able to match the rich clubs on spend ...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6